One of the best things about writing a blog is that you get to interact with people on-line who have interests similar to your own. Eventually, those interactions become friendships, and sometimes if you live close enough to each other, you get to meet in person!
It isn’t all that easy to meet new people here in L.A., so I’m very excited that I spent last Saturday afternoon with four delightful women who I’ve never met before and who love to write about their passion. So, if you’d also like to meet interesting people and do a bit of networking as well, follow these simple instructions.
1) Start a blog on a subject that you love. Make sure it’s something that you potentially can talk about forever. For me that’s fashion, because I’ve loved clothing for as long as I can remember.
2) Reach out to other bloggers who write about the same subject. Read the blogs you love, and comment on your favorite posts. Be sure your comments are thoughtful. Put a link to your site so you can be found easily by other bloggers, but don’t be pushy. The hard sell is not friendly! If other bloggers are interested in your blog they will start reading it and you’ll begin a correspondence.
3) Connect with fellow bloggers on Twitter and Facebook – Twitter is a great place to bond with your blogging friends from around the world. Follow your on-line friends and re-tweet their posts. Facebook is also a good place to network and connect on-line.
4) Join a local blogging group. Most cities have local groups, though they’re not always easy to find. I joined “Two Point Oh L.A.” in the hopes of finding other local fashion bloggers. This is how I met the delightful Mary Jo of “Trust Your Style”.
5) Join blog networking groups. I’ve found some great blogs by joining Independent Fashion Bloggers. The meet-up I went to this weekend was started on Kristy Elena’s Full Time Fabulous fashion blog group on Facebook.
6) Get out of the house. If you’re invited to something fun, and it works with your schedule, go check it out!
My New Friends in Fashion (and Food)
Mary Jo’s blog, “Trust Your Style”, is where I go for style advice and fashion inspiration based on works of art. Mary Jo also designs her own line of clothing. I’m hoping the next time we get together I’ll get to see her creations in person.
Alexis of “North on Harper” organized our little luncheon. Her blog is all about “…the things that contribute to living a chic, fulfilling, and tenacious life.” This includes fashion! My favorite are her weekly “NoH does” posts, where other bloggers contribute a photo of an outfit based on a theme Alexis chose earlier in the week.
Stephanie of “The Loudmouth” has been blogging since she was a teenager. She writes a really fun and colorful personal style and fashion blog which I’m looking forward to getting to know better.
Kimberly of Unrivaled Kitch is a chef who writes about food and shares her best recipes, as well as restaurant reviews. Her post about preparing cactus leaves for cooking makes me want to run out and get some to try, though I think my family might like the rice krispy bunny cake best.
Been to any blogging meet-ups recently? What did you think about the experience? How do you feel about being part of the blogging community?