Unexpected classic – an outfit post

Trench coats – I could easily have 30 of them. Only one currently lives in my closet though and it’s this cute, short-but-still-classic, beige number.

Surprise! It’s lined in leopard print satin.

Navy blue and tan is such a traditional color combination.  It’s not the sort of thing I usually wear, but as I was putting together this outfit I realized I loved it, especially when mixed with black and used in a sexy mini-dress, capri mesh tights, and a leopard print lined trench coat. I feel like I’ve taken a traditional group of items and colors to an unexpected place.

When I first saw these gathered-front dresses I was really excited.  It’s a very flattering look as the ruched fabric acts as a kind of camoflage. Navy is more forgiving than black, but still just as slimming. I like the idea of wearing a sexy dress in a conservative color as it seems to make the whole look more elegant.

The scarf is decorated with dark brass studs in different shapes and sizes. It acts like a soft, warm, necklace.

• Trench Coat – Michael Kors
  • Dress – Max Studio
  • Scarf – Nordstroms
  • Tights – Target
  • Shoes – Nine West

I always considered navy and black a fashion “no-no”. What do you think of navy blue and black?  How do you feel about navy, black and tan combined together in an outfit?

, , ,

24 Responses to Unexpected classic – an outfit post

1. Alexis of NorthOnHarper May 30, 2011 at 10:36 am #

Heather, you look fantastic! I love the dress on you. And personally, I am a BIG fan of navy. It always feels sophisticated!

Great outfit post!
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..White OutMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 31, 2011 at 11:44 am #

I’m getting more and more into navy. It feels very sophisticated like black but not as obvious. Maybe it’ll make a return and be big the way it was in the 80’s?

2. anne m bray
    May 30, 2011 at 10:46 am #

black + blue = OK by me. Adding tan gives it some spark AND THE LEOPARD LINING!!!!!! OMG!

Kudos to Hugo on fab photos. I especially like the first shot – how the blurry light dots echo the buttons on the coat.
    Ha! the leopard flash + flag is a good one too!
    Well, they’re all good.

I’m always happy when a new post of yours comes up in my Google Reader.
    anne m bray recently posted..In 10 Minutes- 5-28My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 31, 2011 at 11:43 am #

So glad you like it Anne. I think these are our best shots so far. It’s a lot of fun going out to take them too.

3. Laura S May 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

This is such a cool outfit!
    – Laura

4. SACRAMENTO May 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

You look stunning Heather, especially the two last shots are amazing.

• Heather Fonseca May 31, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Thanks Sacramento! I’ll be sure to let my husband know you like the shots. He’s the one who takes my photos that make me look so nice.

May 31, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I love the coat and the scenery! You look amazing!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Amazing May – – Photo RoundupMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 1, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Thanks my dear! Glad you like it – can you place where we took the photos?

6. Boheme Noir June 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

You look fab! Dark blue looks PERFECT on you and matches your complexion so well.

I agree – the trenchcoat is an eternal classic of style. Love it too.

I have 4 trenches, 2 beige ones (but none with a fab leo-inside like yours *jealous*) and 2 black ones in different cuts.

• Heather Fonseca June 2, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Thanks my dear! I wish I had room for 4 trench coats – I’d certainly wear them all. Actually, I found a pattern for a trench coat dress (short sleeves) that I’m itching to make! We’ll see if I get to it.

7. Lee Oliveira June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am #

Love your photos.. and mostly you confidence..
    Lee x
    Lee Oliveira recently posted..Rihanna inspiration…SydneyMy Profile

8. herCatwalk June 2, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Drooling over your classic trench. A coat like that goes a looong way!
    herCatwalk recently posted..Two in One!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 2, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Thanks so much! I got it on super-sale at Loehmann’s a couple of years ago. I couldn’t believe I got so lucky.

9. Kristin June 2, 2011 at 11:14 am #

That trench is just gorgeous! Dying over the lining!
    Kristin recently posted..Finding Your Own ParadiseMy Profile

10. Ada June 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

I love the trench! So funny, I always leave the house wearing navy, brown and black all in one outfit and think it’s such a faux-pas. But obviously (as you prove) if they didn’t *really* go together, we probably wouldn’t actually leave the house wearing them all. Which is to say, I think they don’t really clash but look fabulous when worn in the right proportions! This is a stunning outfit!
    Ada recently posted..Knock Yourself Out Mark ZuckerbergMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks Ada! And thanks so much for stopping by. Great to see you here.

11. citizen rosebud
    June 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

You look classy AND sexy in this outfit. Love the classic treatment of the trench with the surprise inside. LOVE the mix of navy and black, yes, a former no-no but done right it’s suuuper modern! For me, seeing Yamamoto mix it up made it ok to rock out in this geek-chic-sexay mix.
    citizen rosebud recently posted..outfit post- Birthday GrrlMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Thanks Bella. I never used to wear black and navy together – EVER! But it seems like it feels right these days.

12. Couture Carrie June 8, 2011 at 3:51 am #