Pink and Red – Can they be worn together?

Pink and red with a touch of black is a color combination I use frequently in my doll designs.  But can it work on a real person? Personally I think it does. I’ve never actually worn these colors together before, but I’ve found in writing this blog that I’m drawn to combinations of garments that I would never have tried in the past.

Pink and Red, A Striking Color Combination

If there’s a time of year to try bright colors it’s now, in the summer, when everything is in bloom and the colors around us are bright as well.

Bright colors like pink and red attract attention. Normally here in Los Angeles no one looks twice at my husband and I on a photo shoot, but this outfit was different.  Not long after taking the photo above I was the recipient of a loud hooting cat call – from a woman and her kids in a mini-van!  That was weird.

Pink and Red in Nature

Over the years people have told me they find the combination of pink and red in an outfit tacky and unnatural. My feeling is if it looks beautiful in a garden it should look good elsewhere as well.  With their hot pink tipped petals and multicolored blooms the roses in the photo above really are flamboyant. If it works for them it should work for us too!

One more thing about this outfit – a lot of it is thrifted!  I wasn’t just hesitant to try wild color  combinations before starting a fashion blog, I was also a bit nervous about purchasing second-hand clothing.  Now I know better. The jacket, skirt and purse were all purchased at a local “Out of the Closet”, a thrift store that donates it’s proceeds to AID’s research.

• Scarf – Echo
  • Jacket – a brand called “22”, thrifted
  • Skirt – Top Shop, thrifted
  • T-shirt – Target
  • Shoes – Nine West
  • Purse – Thrifted

Do you like the pink and red color combination? Have you tried any flamboyant color combinations recently?

Like what you see? Follow me!

Google Plus – BloglovinPinterest

, , , ,

28 Responses to Pink and Red – Can they be worn together?

1. GRIT & GLAMOUR
    July 18, 2011 at 9:52 am #

This mix of colors and patterns is just lovely! It really works! And the flowers…perfect backdrop.

Bloging really has helped me come out of my shell a bit too. I used to be so matchy. I’m definitely still working on adopting more color, but I think I’ve come a long way with mixing it up in the accessories department.

• Heather Fonseca July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

I love your accessories Vahni! And I’ve seen some great color combinations on your blog as well.

2. Alexis of NorthOnHarper July 18, 2011 at 10:33 am #

I really love pink and red together…. it makes such a great statement. And you did it really wonderfully!

• Heather Fonseca July 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Thanks Alexis! It was fun to put together.

3. Ariane July 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

That’s a beautiful outfit on you.

4. anne
    July 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

you look great!
    I love the shot with the jacaranda blossoms on the ground.
    Here’s a challenge – red, pink, PURPLE!

• Heather Fonseca July 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Oh wow! I can see a great print in those colors, but an outfit would be a challenge!

5. Sandra at Debutante Clothing July 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

I love this outfit! The color and print combo is perfect! I always shy away from mixing patterns, but you pulled this off beautifully. And those roses have me swooning!

6. Paula July 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Its a wierd thing about red and pink–I mean they are really the same color–just a little white in the red. And none of the other colors that you would add white too would be criminal–so what is it about pink and red??? I hear what your saying–my mother always said not red and pink together. But I love it! And love it on you–we are such radicals, no?

• Heather Fonseca July 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

It’s funny to think of me being a radical for wearing pink and red together, but it is one of those “things”. I also like off-white lace mixed with black in clothing, and I’ve been told that that’s tacky too!

7. Couture Carrie July 19, 2011 at 3:54 am #

Love this color combo!
    You look fabulous, darling!

xoxox,
    CC

8. Oh to Be a Muse
    July 19, 2011 at 9:56 am #

i am definitely a fan of this color combination. i’ve always liked it. i think you look great in the pink, red and black along with the wonderful backdrops!

9. shannon July 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

I love the scarf and this color combo is YAY! My post for this week’s LALM is about trying out something new also.

10. Anna
    July 20, 2011 at 4:54 am #

I love the combination of red and pink. I’ve done it in the past! to be exact I had styled red capri pants with a top that was pink, white and orange!!!

• Heather Fonseca July 20, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Sounds great! I love pink and orange together.

11. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    July 20, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I’ve always wanted to hit up Out of the Closet! Cute finds for sure. I love your unique, creative style! That scarf is awesome… 🙂

• Heather Fonseca July 20, 2011 at 11:50 am #

We should go together one day. The Goodwill on Beverly isn’t far away too!

12. Dress Code: High Fashion
    July 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Hey there,

GREAT LOOK! I assumed butterflies would always add “kitsch” to a look but in your case they add class and really work!
    (I had picked a unicolour bag though. To me, print-mix only works with clothes, not accessories).

Best, Jen

PS: OMG I want to move to the street of the second picture! So pretty!

• Heather Fonseca July 21, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Hey Jenny, We shot the photos in a town outside of Los Angeles called “South Pasadena”, and I want to live there too! I’m glad you like my butterfly scarf. It’s a pretty one!

13. mary jo
    July 22, 2011 at 9:55 am #

This is such a great outfit Heather and I really like the pattern on the bag with the pattern on the scarf–it totally works! And love that you used the roses as a guide, nature never fails when it comes to color combos.

• Heather Fonseca July 23, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Thanks Mary Jo! I’m glad you approve

14. anne the SpyGirl
    April 7, 2012 at 3:06 am #

I missed this when you wrote it… Thanks to Linked Within, I found it!
    >Oh wait, I DID see it, BUT I FORGOT!!!<

Pink and Red. If it works for Barbie, why not us? (Um, nevermind). If it works for the roses, it'll work for us!

I love that a mom hooted at you… wooHOO!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Monochromatic Mellow YellowMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Thanks Anne. I loved that outfit and I’m eyeing it again these days as all my spring/summer clothes are back in my closet. I do love pink and red and I’ve been seeing a lot of it in magazines recently, so I guess I’m not the only one.