Missoni for Target

The Crazy Shopping Scene at Target

On Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 I rose early as usual, took my children to school, headed over to my client’s office to drop off some work, and then turned around and made a b-line for my local Target.  I knew this trip to my favorite mega-store would be unusual when I arrived in the underground parking lot. Usually empty on a weekday morning, there was nary a spot to be found.  In the elevator I found myself standing next to a woman clutching 5 boxes of Missoni shoes and asked her what it was like “up there”.  She responded, breathlessly, that she’d only gotten the shoes by grabbing them out of the box before the salesperson could put them on the shelf. By the time I entered the doors around 8:20 all the “Missoni for Target” clothing, picture frames, plates, tumblers, and shoes were already sold out.

I hadn’t planned on buying any clothing really. I just wanted to look at the line in person.  I was especially interested in the pillows and comforters and things like that, but they were gone too.  There were nothing but empty shelves under the Missoni signs, women with carts piled high with zig-zag print things, and a few Target employees looking a bit shell-shocked.  All over the country the story was the same.  Target’s website crashed from the demand and the shopping frenzy even raised their stock price.

So why am I wearing a Missoni print dress?  My mom came to my rescue, scouring the local Targets in search of a few leftover or returned pieces.

Wearing Missoni for Target

This little dress is actually a nightgown, but since it’s REAL “Missoni for Target” it’s just too precious to wear to bed!  My husband loves it on me and wants me to find more nightgowns to wear during the day.  Styling it had some problems though.  The fabric is a rather thin printed knit.  I first tried it on with some heavier pieces (boots, tights, a leather jacket) but they overpowered the lightweight material and made it look cheap.  Here are a few tips I learned putting together the outfit:

Wear supportive undergarments.  I’m wearing a strapless bra and a half slip under the dress.  The slip helps the dress fall nicely, and the bra, well you know what they do.  The nice thing with a strapless bra is that there are no straps sticking out looking sloppy.

Layer something under the dress.  In this case I’m wearing a simple brown knit camisole under the nightgown. It makes what would otherwise be a too-revealing nightgown look much more appropriate for daytime.

– Put on some snazzy shoes. High heels can add a bit of glamour and refinement to almost any outfit. These orange sandals were just the perfect thing to take the nightgown from super casual to just dressy enough for day.

– Add a lightweight jacket. I’m having a love affair with short, fitted, jackets at the moment.  They seem to take any outfit, even jeans and a t-shirt, and give it a little refinement and professionalism.  The military inspired jacket I’m wearing in the first photo is a very light weight cotton so it doesn’t overpower the little dress. The drab color compliments the muted oranges and browns in print on the dress and helps them pop.

My Fake Python Clutch

I am beyond excited about this “snake-skin” clutch.  I’ve been wanting one since I fist saw the Prada ads showing their delightful line of clutch bags.  In fact, I purchased some of the things I needed to sew a little clutch because my coveting was out of control.  Then I found this purse AT THE LOCAL GOODWILL. Obviously it’s not Prada, it’s not even Frada, but it’s darn cute for $5!  Any hesitation I had about buying things second-hand has now gone completely out the window.

These earrings have been a big favorite of mine this Summer, and I rather like Turquoise in early fall as well. Although I’m not a big fan of online shopping, I do like purchasing jewelry this way.  It seems like the selection is much larger than what I can find at retail.

Wearing:

• Dress – Missoni for Target nightgown
  • Jacket – Caslon
  • Knit camisole – Target
  • Earrings – Kenneth Jay Lane, Gilt.com
  • Sunnies – Fendi, perscription
  • Purse – Thrifted
  • Shoes – Camper

Do you have a story about shopping the Missoni for Target line?  Did you look?  What did you think of it?  Did you purchase any?

, , , , , , ,

45 Responses to Missoni for Target

1. Alexis of NorthOnHarper September 23, 2011 at 10:15 am #

Congrats on the dress…. I admit it, I didn’t make it to Target. I was still in NY and just couldn’t make it happen….
    BUT YOU LOOK GREAT…. and you make me laugh with your: “How to Wear a Little Knit Nightgown During the Day without Looking Like You Forgot to Get Dressed that Morning” seriously giggling!
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Runway To Room: London Street StyleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Well, there wasn’t much point in making it to Target when everything was sold in 15 minutes! The only people I know who got what they really wanted woke up at 4 am to buy on-line, before the website crashed.

I’m so glad you like the post and my tips on not looking like you rolled out of bed in your nightgown. You know how it is in this area, lots of girls did just roll out of bed in their nightgown, at 12 noon, and they’re walking the dog. Although it’s rather cute on some of them, I live in fear of anyone thinking I’m in my P.J.s

2. brookemeagan September 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

I’ve heard all about the Missoni madness online but never experienced it firsthand. There’s not a Target to be found in my neck of the woods, but that is all going to change very soon! Anyway, I love this! I can see why your husband likes it 😉 I would never have known it was a nightgown. You can always count on Mom! Love the way you styled it as well and I’m seriously in love with those shoes. Happy Friday to you!

• Heather Fonseca September 23, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Target is pretty fabulous. I go there for almost all my household needs now, but I try not to shop the clothes too much because they tend to fall apart after one wash. Still, they offer some very well designed clothes and I am often tempted.

I’m so glad you’re “back”. Missed you!

3. Ariane September 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Well you know my story. There are some benefits to living in the Inland Empire (IE women did not swarm the local Target like in L.A.) – when I heard about the frenzy while at work on that day, I sent my husband to our local Target and he bought me a dress and a turtleneck…and a pair of shoes…my size were sold out but he grabbed your size and they are yours when I see you next! They are the black suede pumps…so cute but the heels are so high! I looooove the shoes you are wearing here. See you soon…

• Heather Fonseca September 24, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Thanks so much Ariane! Can’t wait to see you in October, shoes or no shoes. (:

4. Anna
    September 24, 2011 at 6:00 am #

well if you didn’t write it, I’d never would have guessed that it’s a nightgown!!
    And the camisole matches so well with it…initially I thought it was part of the design!!
    Great tips+great dress! Enjoy it!
    Anna recently posted..M.A.C me overMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Thanks Anna. I really liked the outfit too. Now I just need to wear it again, but it’s suddenly gotten cold!

September 24, 2011 at 6:12 am #

You crack me up! Never would have guessed it was a nightgown!

I was at Target a couple of weeks ago and came across the Missoni line for kids and fell in love with one of the jackets. I loved it for my girls but really wanted it for myself! Unfortunately the biggest size they had left was a 5T – too small for any of us. I took a picture of ti with my phone just so I can have the memory. 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Meeting The Grays + Sunday MarketMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Oh that’s too bad! Yeah, 5T is pretty darn small. Often I find I’ll go to a store that sells women’s and children’s clothes and I wish they kids clothes came in the women’s sizes!

6. Aquí September 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

I am sooo jealous! I went as fast as I could and everything was wiped out clean! You look fantastic, so glad someone scored one of these!

• Heather Fonseca September 24, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

It was crazy here in L.A., but I have friends who live in suburbs who had more time to shop the line before it was wiped out. I think the frenzy took us all by surprise. Try going back early in the morning if it’s nearby. I found a framed Missoni tile the other day along with a few other returned items that were too small for me.

7. Andrea
    September 25, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Your photos look like something out of a catalogue. I really like your earrings, they’re such a gorgeous shade of turquoise.
    Andrea recently posted..Strolling in plaidMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 25, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks Andrea! I keep seeing other earrings in a similar shade and have to remind myself not to buy them as I already have a pair, but I love it so much I keep finding myself gravitating towards other versions of the same.

8. Cecylia September 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Gorgeous dress, so well styled hun, love that statue too 😀
    Come follow my blog darling! xx
    Cecylia recently posted..Lui Hon visits the grocerMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Hi Cecylia, I went over to your blog to say ”hi” and I love your feather pants! Very fun.

9. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    September 27, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Um… smokin’ bod and amazing dress!!! I totally didn’t realize it was a nightgown at first, good job 🙂
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Look :: TransitioningMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Thanks so much! Really glad you like the outfit. (I’m wearing it today again actually!)

10. Paula September 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

Would never have known either! Kudos to you GF for perfection in the styling–does not look cheap at all!

Oh, and Re: purple lippy from Mabeline–yes, I DO love that line. I buy it all the time! I couldnt even pick my fave color. My next fave lippy is the Tarte line–but they are a bit more pricey at $25.00! They are a bit creamier than the Mabeline line though.
    Paula recently posted..Making it WorkMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Thanks so much Paula! I also love love love drugstore brand lipsticks. Whenever I need a quick retail “fix” I buy another lipstick – but at $5 on sale it seems like an OK thing!

11. Dress Code: High Fashion
    September 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Congrats on the Links A La Mode!

The earrings match the dress perfectly!
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Salvatore Ferragamo S/S 12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Thanks and right back at you! So happy to be joined on Links a la mode by my favorite bloggers.

12. Kara September 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Wow, you really know how to style.. I would have never known that was a nightgown unless I was familiar with all the Missoni products. I like that you matched it with your teal earrings and added a surprise snake print.
    Kara recently posted..Party DownMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Thanks so much Kara!

13. TheFashionistyle September 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Georgeous dress!!! I made it to the Missoni for Target too 🙂

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I’d love to see what you did with your purchases. How are you wearing them?

14. denis September 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

Can’t go wrong with this combination, Missoni + Target = thumbs up!

15. Tina
    September 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

My experience at my lovely Midwest Target was pretty tame…I was one of the only people buying for myself. Most of the customers were mom buying for their high school and college age daughters.

The housewares went so fast, I didn’t even get to really see them when I finished with the clothes. I did end up getting everything on my wishlist through the store and online.

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

You’re so lucky! It was crazy here. I’ve never seen anything like it, but then I usually avoid shopping madness.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

16. Collette Osuna October 1, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Loved your post….it was my pleasure chosing it:)

• Heather Fonseca October 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks so much! I’m so glad it made the grade for Links a la Mode this week.

17. Plami October 3, 2011 at 3:46 am #

I am not a big fan of Missoni but this dress is gorgeous! definitely makes me rethink my position 🙂

XoXo
    Plami

Plami recently posted..Monday Quote: Maria RobinsonMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 3, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Plami! I’m so glad you like it. I’ve worn it over and over since I posted the outfit. It’s nice to be comfortable and chic at the same time.

18. Kionon
    October 6, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Interesting advice for using a nightgown. I myself do not get the hype of Missoni in general, so I didn’t have any excitement about Target’s line.

• Heather Fonseca October 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

I don’t normally get all excited about Missoni either, I think it was the novelty that did it for me, plus it’s unavailability. I definitely got caught up in the hype!

1. LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUNDUP | Independent Fashion Bloggers - September 29, 2011

[…] The Style Confessions: One way to style your Missoni for Target find […]

2. London Cool « Fashion Blog of Samantha Cole London - September 29, 2011

[…] My top 10 favorites for Fall</li> <li><a href=”http://thestyleconfessions.com/2011/09/23/missoni-for-target/&#8221; target=”_blank”>The Style Confessions</a>: One way to style your […]

3. Links à la mode – La semaine de 29 septembre 2011 - September 30, 2011

[…] The Style Confessions: One way to style your Missoni for Target find […]

4. More fashionable reading for your Sunday Morning | The Style Confessions™ - October 2, 2011

[…] The Style Confessions: One way to style your Missoni for Target find […]

5. Links à la Mode – September 29 | Angela Osborn - October 2, 2011

[…] The Style Confessions: One way to style your Missoni for Target find […]

6. Spring Forward, Fall Back | StyleSizzle - October 6, 2011

[…] The Style Confessions: One way to style your Missoni for Target find […]

7. Two Ways to Wear a Missoni Dress | The Style Confessions™ - November 14, 2011

[…] In an earlier post on the subject of Missoni madness I told you that I didn’t quite make it to Target in time to throw myself into the throng of women tearing at the clothing display. Nothing was left on the shelves when I arrived at 8:20. Although I gave up pretty quickly, but my mother was not so easily defeated.  After driving to three different Target stores in the Los Angeles area and finding nothing but a few infant garments, she decided to start looking around for returns.  Later that month she was successful. I don’t think my mom ever found the tumblers she was looking for but she did find this little number for me. (She also found the Missoni nightgown I wore as a dress in this post.) […]

8. The Best of The Style Confessions 2011 | The Style Confessions™ - December 26, 2011

[…] around my Missoni for Target steals.  You can see a zigzag print nightgown worn as outerwear in “Missoni for Target” and the iconic knit sheath dress in “Two Ways to Wear a Missoni […]

9. Autumn in Los Angeles - The Style Confessions™ - September 9, 2013

[…] (Read about my crazy shopping experience and another way to style the same dress in the post Missoni for Target.) It’s lightweight, floaty and COOL. By “cool” I don’t mean chic-and-urban […]