Ladylike Layers

Recently Alexis of “North on Harper” wrote a post entitled “Major Midis” about the newly trendy, just-below-the-knee, skirt length. Kelly Framel of “The Glamourai” concurred in her post: “Grazia”. These are two of my favorite fashion blogs so I knew they had to be on to something, but as fabulous as both bloggers look in their longer skirts I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. The skirts I have that fall between the bottom of the knee and the top part of the calf are rather sexy, form-fitting pencil skirts. All my other skirts fall somewhere above the knee or float around the ankle.  Nervously I thought that perhaps I’d try a few midi skirts on my next shopping trip.

I did not have to wait that long however.  My Mother-in-Law came to the rescue with this grey knit dress.

Unlike the stereotypical wife I have a really fabulous relationship with my husband’s mother. If you met her you would understand why. She is one of the most delightful, kind, generous, beautiful people I have ever met in my life. She also had great style and an ability to sniff out bargains that is out of this world.  Her trips to Ross (dress for less!) and Macy’s always yield numerous chic ensembles that cost less than $20.  She purchased this dress for herself on one of her shopping trips. After abducting her gown I proceeded to raid her closet for this photo-shoot.  My husband and I ran outside afterwards and took the shots in her back yard, against a background of black fabric. I gave the sweater, necklaces, bracelet and ankle-strap shoes back, but I kept the dress! Thankfully she is kind and generous and forgives me for being a dress thief.

• Dress – Max Edition
  • Camisole – Target
  • Sweater, necklaces, bracelet and shoes – borrowed from my Mother-in-Law

What do you think of the new “midi” length?  Do you ever raid your mother’s, or your mother-in-law’s, closet?

, , , ,

21 Responses to Ladylike Layers

1. Anne October 6, 2011 at 10:10 am #

I know what you mean about mid-length skirts. They can be a little intimidating! That one looks great — it drapes nicely and is quite flattering. And I think we have similar mothers-in-law. Wonderful, isn’t it? Glad to have found your blog — thanks for visiting mine!
    Anne recently posted..Style Goes to the DogsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks so much for stopping by! I’m terrified of looking frumpy, and those cover-the-knee skirts can really be frumpy. Of course they look adorable on younger women, but on me, well…

2. Alexis of NorthOnHarper October 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

First off, thank you so much for your sweet words!!!

Second, I can’t believe you even questioned this look on you!!!! I think you look amazing!!!!!!
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Holly Golightly Turns 50My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

Thanks Alexis! I loved your post on the midi-length. It really inspired me.

3. Sheila October 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

I love the midi-length for skirts, particularly either the form-fitting ones or the A-line cut.

This is a really pretty dress – how nice of your mil to let you play in her closet! Love those red shoes.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my blog, Heather! I really appreciate it.
    Sheila recently posted..Challenge Week! Thursday: Yellow Boots and Purple and RedMy Profile

4. citizen rosebud
    October 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

The midi length is great as long as you wear heels. Flats + midi = dowdy. You look elegant in your greys and midi. I can hope you start stealing a few more finds of this length!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..outfit post: Plaid + Leopard, Western StyleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

I agree, with midi heels are a must. I actually wore the same dress today with flats and a corduroy blazer and I really looked like the stereotypical librarian from some 1970′s TV show. I was very comfortable however.

5. Leia October 7, 2011 at 7:04 am #

You look wonderful! And I love midi length dresses and skirts. I raid my mother’s closet all the time, but my mother in law and I have completely different styles, so I don’t think I’ll be raiding hers! :)

• Heather Fonseca October 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I’ve seen some of your mom’s style on your blog and I can see why you raid her closet. It bet there are fabulous things in there!

6. Dress Code: High Fashion
    October 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Heather, you nailed it! PERFECT autumn outfit!

(I would totally wear it – if we wouldn`t have terrible storms these days that made more than one of my skirts fly up… :/ It`s only glamorous if it happens to Marilyn Monroe…not to me on campus!)

Have a nice weekend, dear.

Hugs, Jen

PS: Thanks for sharing the Steven Meisel editorial on Twitter!
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Just Cavalli Jewels F/W 11/12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

You’re welcome for the retweet. I loved that Steven Meisel photoshoot! And I’m so glad you liked my outfit.

7. Rachelle Sung October 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

It really looks nice on you. So surely one of those fashionable woman I meet online.

8. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    October 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Your mother-in-law has amazing style! You’re gorge!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Dress Loudly :: Weekly UpdateMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Thank you my dear! So glad you like the outfit. My mother-in-law is very fashion conscious. She likes to show me all her new items. It’s really fun because my own mother likes clothing but not the same way my husband’s mother does.

9. GRIT & GLAMOUR
    October 10, 2011 at 9:37 am #

I think this midi length is a very good one…it’s more just below the knee, which is a safe bet for pretty much everyone.

Love the red lips and heels. A nice (and slightly naughty) accent for grey jersey!

Oh, and PS: No, I don’t raid my mom’s closet…she’s 5’1″! I outgrew her clothes in like sixth grade, I think!
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW: Paisley for Pumpkins*My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

I’m so glad you like my outfit, and the red touches. I’ve decided this fall is going to be all about red touches for me.

10. Jamillah October 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

My favorite pictures of you ever! Gray and red so fall and sooooo one of the best color comobos ever…i have YET to find a midi length that suits me…but i’m determined!!
    Jamillah recently posted..I Heart the InternetMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

You can do it! Just keep looking, and wear heels. Gosh they help with this length.

11. andri world news October 12, 2011 at 1:11 am #

so sweet … i think i will copy this dress suite for my lovely one
    andri world news recently posted..Xbox live update october 2011 may pave way for tomorrowMy Profile