Business Casual

This outfit is a recreation of what I wore to deliver a project to one of my clients last week.  As a freelance designer how I dress is an important part of my image or “brand”.  I want my look to reflect my abilities in fashion and design, but I also want to look professional.   The situation would be different if I worked in a less creative field, but as a designer I feel I need to look like a DESIGNER.  Getting super dressed up in a suit and heels is almost always complete overkill.  Business culture in Los Angeles is rather casual, so wearing dark jeans to meet with my client seemed appropriate. After all, I’d spent the whole day working in my studio to finish the project and I didn’t want to look like I’d wasted hours getting dressed.

I was really inspired by the article “Tips for wearing blazers” on Grit and Glamour. I’ve never actually owned a black blazer, so I was a little hesitant to just go out and buy one. It seems like such a conservative item, and I almost never have an occasion to wear a suit. But I found this one at the Goodwill for $5 and thought even if I never wore it I would not have wasted much money. It’s a size 10 but designed to be rather oversized.  (I’ve since found an even nicer, fitted, Ann Taylor version of the same thing for $25 at the same Goodwill store!)  Now that I have one I wonder why I never got one before.  The addition of a black blazer over my jeans and scoop neck t-shirt added just the right touch of professionalism.

• Jacket – Thrifted
  • Necklace – Cara Couture via Gilt.com
  • Sunnies – Fendi
  • T-shirt – Target
  • Jeans – J Brand
  • Purse – Target
  • Sandals – Nine West

What do you wear for casual business meetings?

, , , ,

18 Responses to Business Casual

1. Leia October 11, 2011 at 10:30 am #

F – a – b – ! I’m not very good at casual dressing but I think I’d wear jeans and a button-down shirt.

• Heather Fonseca October 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Dressing to meet with a client really throws me into a tizzy. Traditional business clothes look to fussy and uptight, my weekend clothes look to done-up and trendy, and my casual clothes just look too casual.
      I think jeans and a button-down would look very nice on you, but certainly not your style!

2. creativefashionglee October 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

This is indeed a fresh outfit with touch of professionalism. i always loved bazers because of their ability to elevate an otherwise, normal look. :)
    creativefashionglee recently posted..Creative Fashion Spy: Trend Knitted Sweater DressesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 11, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

I’m glad you like it! Blazers are a new thing for me, but I’m really liking the look.

3. Trishia October 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Great shots! I really love the sunglass! Work it girl..

4. andri world news October 12, 2011 at 1:09 am #

you have a very good taste of fashions… like it :)
    andri world news recently posted..Xbox live update october 2011 may pave way for tomorrowMy Profile

5. Alexis of NorthOnHarper October 12, 2011 at 1:40 am #

I am all about a black blazer…. and you have exactly captured why: it is cool, sophisticated and easy!
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Perfectly Patterned PantsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 13, 2011 at 9:03 am #

They really are cool, sophisticated and easy! This one seems to go with pretty much everything. It’s like instant sophistication to any outfit.

6. GRIT & GLAMOUR
    October 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Yay! So glad you scored a deal on a classic blazer and it’s working for you! Blazers are such great transitional jackets too.

I really like the wild bag with that otherwise tame look.

And thanks for the mention, of course.
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW: Paisley for Pumpkins*My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 13, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Thank you so much! I was really inspired by your post.

7. Caron Boegel October 12, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

sweet work, love your layout, suits the blog well :-)

8. Mary Jo
    October 13, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Love the dark blazer with your dark jeans and tee–so glam!

Mary Jo recently posted..eye on style: alexa at the short and sweet of itMy Profile

9. Jason October 14, 2011 at 8:59 am #

My favorite color is blue that you’re wearing in jeans. But I also wear black sometimes. Liked your blazer and pics.

10. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    October 15, 2011 at 9:26 am #

I spent $50 on my black boyfriend blazer a few years ago, and it’s paid off dozens of times over. I seriously wear it at least twice a week! It can dress up any outfit :)
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..RAW / Giveaway Winners + Thank YousMy Profile

11. andrea
    January 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Oh you look great. I hate wearing suits so i never wear them so dull but blazers look smart and look so stylish at the same time.
    andrea recently posted..Joules Sale For WomenMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 10, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Glad you like it Andrea. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment too.