Ravishing Red

My first thought when I found out my good friend George was getting married was how happy I was for him.  My second thought was “What am I going to wear?” For some reason I feel that weddings, like Easter, deserve a new frock. Part of me wanted to be sensible though.  I do have a few party dresses that would be quite nice for a wedding, it’s just that I’ve become obsessed with the color red this fall.  After spending months reminding myself that I was going to be frugal and wear something I already owned, one week before the wedding my urge for a new dress took over and I made a mad dash to Loehmann’s to find something red for the happy event. This strapless chiffon number was the first one I found.

In the end I decided against wearing the dress.  Although you can’t really tell in the photos, the top is actually a bit too big on me.  Had I found it two weeks prior to the wedding I could have had it altered, but there wasn’t enough time.  Then there’s the fact that my husband just hated it.  I really don’t know why.  He took the photos and I think they are just beautiful! The one above is my favorite.  I love how pale my skin looks against the red of the dress.  It seems to glow.

Have you ever felt the need to buy a new dress to attend a wedding, or is it just me?

14 Responses to Ravishing Red

1. Alexis of NorthOnHarper October 20, 2011 at 10:54 am #

I do like the red on you…. I love the drama of it.

If the wedding is one of my close friends I *need* a new dress. However if it is a friend of Lukus’ or someone I haven’t seen in a long time I *try* to make something in my closet work…
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Luxe Lucky CharmsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I lost interest in red for a long time, but it used to be one of my favorite colors to wear. It tends to look good against my skin and I’m really happy that it seems to be back “in”.
      I think if I went to more weddings I probably wouldn’t make such a big deal about wearing a new dress, but most of my friends got married a while ago so the fact that there have been two this year is really exciting.

2. Mary Jo
    October 20, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

That top photo looks just like a painting, so gorg! Love red, I’ve never thought of wearing red to a wedding but I think it works!

• Heather Fonseca October 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks Mary Jo! I actually didn’t wear it, but I think it would have been appropriate. I don’t like wearing black. Guess I’m kind of old-fashioned that way!

3. Sharon October 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

I like the dress. I would have paired it with a pair of glitter pumps for the wedding (I know you didn’t wear it).
    Yes, I will buy a new dress. Actually, a new dress, shoes, and accessories. haha.
    Sharon recently posted..Zoe Saldana MOTOACTV Launch Event in Pierre HardyMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Oh wow glitter pumps would be fab! I really wanted glitter pumps for New Years Eve last year but I couldn’t find any that fit in my price range. Maybe this is the year?

4. Andrea
    October 21, 2011 at 5:24 am #

I’ve never had the pleasure of attending a wedding but I would definitely take the opportunity to buy a new dress. I really love yours, the asymmetric straps are soo beautiful and I am definitely on the look out for something red like that!
    Andrea recently posted..A SundayMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

You’ve never been to a wedding? Well, tell your friends to get married already! I would love to see what you would choose to wear to a wedding.

5. Dress Code: High Fashion
    October 21, 2011 at 10:18 am #

OMG – wonderful dress and very flattering.
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Ralph Lauren F/W 11/12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Thanks so much. It was flattering, but I think it looks better in the photos than it did in real life. Clothing is funny that way sometimes.

6. Jamillah October 22, 2011 at 7:58 am #

Love love love this dress…I can’t believe the husband didn’t like it!

I love the first image! Your pale skin against the red with all the vibrant greens and blues from the background is just stunning. Hope you had a fantastic time at the wedding.
    Jamillah recently posted..WAAAAY More Than Fashion-The DMD Fashion ShowMy Profile

October 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

I like the burnout velvet dress you wore better. The same thing happened to me in May when I had a Bat Mitzvah to go to. I said there was NO WAY I was going to get something new and like you, a week before broke out and got a new dress and shows. :
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photo Challenge – Think PinkMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 26, 2011 at 6:49 am #

We just can’t help ourselves can we? It’s so nice to buy a new frock too! Have you worn your new dress since the Bar Mtizvah?