Shirt Dress on Safari

Sexy and glamorous are not the words that come to mind when I think of a shirt dress. Respectable and practical, yes. Boring, sometimes. Yet for all its potential drabness I am drawn to this dress style. Why?  Because it can be sexy, glamorous, respectable, practical and sometimes even boring all in the same day. Simply put, it’s versatile. Button it up to the neck for the neighborhood association meeting and unbutton it down to there for a sexy moment later in the day.

This particular shirt dress is very casual.  It’s made of army green linen in a “safari” style.  I wear it for all sorts of situations, but as a running around town dress it has no equal.  On the day I took the photo I layered over a brown tank top and black cropped leggings. The shorter length, pockets, seam details, ruffles and little buttoned tabs keep it interesting.  As luck would have it the little python bag matches the green of the dress almost perfectly, as does the green band on the watch I found recently at Target.

• Dress – Zara (a hand-me-down from a friend)
  • Necklace – a gift
  • Purse – Purchased in downtown L.A., unknown brand
  • Watch – Timex
  • Camisole – Target
  • Leggings – Target
  • Sandals – Franco Jarte

How do you feel about shirt dresses?  Do you own any?

, , , ,

10 Responses to Shirt Dress on Safari

1. Dress Code: High Fashion
    November 6, 2011 at 1:58 am #

You look so sophisticated in picture two! Love it.

Great “every day” outfit! I wear looks like that to university.

Hope you`re having a great weekend.

*Hugs*, Jen

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Thanks Jen! I’m so glad you approve. It’s finally gotten cold here so I probably won’t wear it much for a while, but it’s a great early fall, warm weather dress.

November 6, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Lovely casual outfit, but I’m very drawn to your hair style. Love the cut and color! And blessed with a beautiful face as well…
    Sylvia recently posted..Links with style this weekMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Thank you so much Sylvia! You’re so sweet. And the haircut did come out great this time. It’s become my “signature” hair cut.

3. Alexis of NorthOnHarper November 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

I love a shirt dress! I have a black one that is one of my go to clothing items!
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Wine of The Week (55)My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2011 at 9:51 am #

A black shirt dress is definitely on my list of things to buy if I find the right one. They are so elegant.

4. brookemeagan November 7, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I love a good shirt dress. It’s an understated look that can be worn so many different ways. It’s kind of like a blank canvas that you can do very little with or a whole lot with and it looks great either way. I love the python bag and Sylvia is right, you are breathtakingly beautiful, Heather! xo
    brookemeagan recently posted..Animal InstinctMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Aw thanks Brooke! You’re so sweet. Like most women all I see are my flaws.
      Glad you liked the shirt dress post! I wish I had 10 of them.

5. Desiree November 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

You look safari-ready Heather, actually I can see you sipping a cocktail outside your tent, watching the sun go down and hearing the hippos have one last play for the day:)). Oooooh love your red lippy and your nails! xo
    Desiree recently posted..Sheeeeeyah, Course I Bought It!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 8, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Desiree! That is a really nice fantasy. I can kind of see it myself…