Playing Games

It’s been rainy and cold recently, and although I love the pitter-patter of the rain on the windows I don’t like jumping over the rivers of rainwater which are often a foot high and 6 feet across. (Los Angeles’ storm drain system leaves something to be desired.) The traffic here is notorious and when it rains it gets worse. So when it’s stormy outside you’ll usually find me curled up by a warm fire reading, surfing the web or playing board games with my kids. With the addition of a cozy vest and a cashmere sweater to keep me extra toasty I’m set for an afternoon at home.

When the fur vest trend came around a couple of years ago I really thought it couldn’t last. To me they looked silly and impractical. Then, like so many other fashion trends fur vests started looking cute.  Then I had to have one. Now I have two and would love a couple more. I like to wear this longish brown faux fur vest when I’m working in my studio as it keeps my body and back warm while still allowing my arms to be free. If you don’t have a fur vest you might want to consider picking one up. They’re chic yet practical and there are many styles and prices to choose from.

My children’s favorite games are Mancala, Monopoly and a cute little one called “Word Chase”, but when I was a kid I played poker and Canasta with my grandmothers. My grandmas both played Bingo as well.  They would drive to the local church and spend the night drinking coffee and eating donuts with their friends, all the while checking over dozens of bingo cards and playing rounds of blackjack during breaks. Now you can gamble on your computer and I often wonder what they would think of the online games available today. For those of you who like your games online check out my sponsor  Cheeky Bingo. They offer a number of  fun bingo games which you can enjoy right in the comfort of your own home, without having to brave the elements to get to the local church hall in time for the “early bird” game.

• Faux fur vest – Target
  • Sweater – L.A. Made
  • Leather Skirt – Leith
  • Boots – Bandolino
  • Bracelets – The two smaller ones were gifts, but the large one is from Wet Seal.

Do you like the faux fur vest trend?   What are your favorite at home games?

, , , ,

28 Responses to Playing Games

November 23, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

That all looks so cozy and comfortable. In Dutch we would say ‘gezellig’ but there is no good english word to describe that sentiment. You look incredibly stylish for a day inside. I confess that when I’m indoors with nowhere to go I would opt for the comfiest jogging suit!
    Sylvia recently posted..How not to look old – a book reviewMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 24, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Thank you Silvia! Often you will find me in a jogging suit too, especially if I’m alone, but I do wear the fur vest over it! It really does keep me warm.

2. Dress Code: High Fashion
    November 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Heather you supermodel! I`ll come over and steal your fab fur-vest & leather-skirt!

Thanks for reminding me (& the world) that there are classier ways to wear a fur-vest (other than the Kate Moss way with f*cked up denim).

Love, Jen
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Top 10 Picks: Salvatore Ferragamo Resort 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 24, 2011 at 9:46 am #

Love you! Glad you like the outfit. I felt pretty chic myself.

3. Alexis of NorthOnHarper November 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

I know exactly what you mean about the rainy weather in LA!

And the fur vest— love it on you, still on the hunt for the right one for me.

Fav at Home game: Trivial Pursuit. But generally speaking, I love board games…
    Alexis of NorthOnHarper recently posted..Honduras: The AnimalsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 24, 2011 at 9:42 am #

So glad you like the vest. It was from Target last year and very inexpensive. I’ve seen some really cute ones since then. Good luck on your hunt.

4. Sayson R November 25, 2011 at 5:29 am #

You look great its very fashionable and very lovely.
    Sayson R recently posted..Win lotteryMy Profile

5. FASHION TALES
    November 26, 2011 at 12:08 am #

The first two pictures are my favourites, love the skirt as well with the vest. My bf & I
    LOVE board games and backgammon.

On holidays though with my family for the holidays my father & I have an ongoing chess game … we’re nerds! I love it though … beats Cubiko! lol :)
    FASHION TALES recently posted..The Closet Cried, Proud MaryMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Looks like there are lots of board game lovers among by friends. If only we all lived closer. Sigh…

6. Lee Oliveira November 26, 2011 at 2:14 am #

Loving that fur vest.
    lee
    Lee Oliveira recently posted..Jardin des Tuileries…Francesca BurnsMy Profile

7. Fashnlvr
    November 27, 2011 at 10:19 am #

When fur vests first came out I thought they looked a little too “Chewbaca” for me but they seemed to have toned down somewhat now. You look great and I am impressed you dress up even to stay home.
    I’m hoping to find a fur vest for myself soon.
    Fashnlvr recently posted..Monday Mashup: Christmas Wish List and Purchases RediscoveredMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Oh I think you would look great in a fur vest! Can’t wait to see your take on the trend.

8. brookemeagan November 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Oh my, you are so beautiful and these pictures are gorgeous. I love all the different brown tones in this look. I didn’t adopt the fur vest trend at first either, but I quite enjoy the one I have now. Like you, I find I wear it mostly at home to keep me warm. I can wear it out in Fall, but once winter comes a parka is necessary here, and I find a fur vest to be too bulky to have under a coat. I have to be in the right mood to wear a fur vest, but when that mood strikes, look out ha!

The story of you and your Grandma’s reminds me of my own. I spent hours upon hours playing both bingo and card games with my grandma’s. Now, I play cards with my boyfriend all the time. It gets rather competitive! And my family is crazy about cards and board games. We play Trivial Pursuit, Sequence (aka one-eyed Jack) and Rummy all the time.

This sounds like the perfect way to spend a rainy day!! I haven’t had the time to comment much lately, but I am so enjoying your posts and your pictures. Much love!
    B xo
    brookemeagan recently posted..Good Food, Good Company, Cheap WineMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 27, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thank you Brooke! I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes to play cards and other games. They are so much fun, especially on a cold day.

9. Mary Jo
    November 28, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Love fur vests! I just got a fur one last week – it’s big enough to wear over chunky sweaters and I love it, it’s soooo warm! Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving Heather!

Mary Jo recently posted..consider a holiday classicMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2011 at 11:51 am #

I did have a great Thanksgiving Mary Jo and I hope you did too! Glad you got a fur vest . They are REALLY toasty warm.

10. citizen rosebud
    November 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

How funny that I didn’t care for the fur vest trend until I wore one, kinda practical in that it keeps me warm and fun to wear. YOU look fantastic in yours, and I love the picture of you (second to the last) so smokin’ hawt!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Style Made By Hand: 5 Quick QuestionsMy Profile

11. Catherine November 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Love my faux fur vest! It keeps me warm AND it’s cute. Win-win!
    Catherine recently posted..outfit of the day: monday (navy) bluesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 1, 2011 at 11:00 am #

It is a win-win! I agree and I’d love to see yours. Have you worn it on your blog?

12. Leia November 28, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Wow, you look so sultry and these photos are amazing!

13. Anna
    November 30, 2011 at 12:54 am #

I’m not a big fan of vests to be honest, because my hands feel more cold than my body usually. I like this combination of colors and textures on your outfit a lot. The colors are very Autumn like! (I also like the setting of your photos…your fireplace is wonderful!
    Anna recently posted..Fall Colors and Wedding DecorationsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 1, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Thank you! My fireplace is looking very artsy at the moment.

14. Vicki December 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Just discovered your blog and think its great!!! I like some of the other people who commented was not a big fan of the fur vest but it has grown on me and am looking for one for myself.

Love the look.

• Heather Fonseca December 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Thank you vicki! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope to see you around some more!