I’ve always wanted to be the kind of girl who wore red lipstick all day, every day, even to the gym. It sounds like a great combination of dedication, glamour and predictability. Unfortunately I get bored easily, and so switch my lipstick colors according to the season. Once a year, in December, I really do become a red lipstick girl, wearing it everywhere. The brilliant color stands out on chilly, bleak days and brightens up whatever I’m wearing. Recently I’ve been obsessed with these three elegant, creamy, long-lasting red lipsticks. They look as good worn to the grocery store as they do at a party, and they’re cheap! Each one is sold at the drugstore for under $10.
Disclosure: I purchased all these lipsticks with my own money and I was not paid for this review, however there are affiliate links embedded into some of the links in the article. If you click on them to look at the product I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in “Red Revival”
Words like “bombshell”, “retro” and “glamourpuss” come to mind upon applying this deep, cool, red lipstick. Although the advertisements show a shimmery red, it’s a true cream with no sparkle at all.
- Staying power – impressive. It comes off on coffee cups and the like, but stays on lips for a few hours if you don’t eat or drink anything.
- Feel on lips – creamy and smooth.
- Bleed – minimal.
- Smell – This lipstick smells almost buttery, but in a good way.
“In the Red” Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick by Revlon
I’m not normally a big fan of matte lipstick. I don’t like the dry feeling, or look, on my lips. On the other hand I do like to try new things and after years of wearing shiny everything a matte shade is refreshing. I love the dark brick-red color. It’s unusual but very sophisticated. Of the three lipsticks this one is my favorite choice for daytime.
- Staying power – The lipstick stays on for a long time, but I reapply it often otherwise it stains my lips a weird reddish-brown.
- Feel on lips – This lipstick feels fairly dry but because it’s lightweight it’s not annoying.
- Bleed – nonexistent. It doesn’t budge, staying within the lip line nicely even without the addition of lip liner.
- Smell – This lipstick smells softly of citrus.
Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipcolor in “Hot”
Not for the faint-hearted, this neon red is impossible to ignore and such a powerful statement that not much other makeup is needed to look completely “done”.
- Staying power – amazing. The color is so heavily pigmented that it stains your lips a bright cherry-pink. Even if the lipstick wears off a bit you don’t notice. It stays fresh looking for hours.
- Feel on lips - Slightly dry, but not irritatingly so.
- Bleed - I notice a slight bleeding into the fine lines around my mouth, but it’s minimal.
- Smell - The lipstick has an appealing, old-fashioned lipstick smell.
*Update July 2012: I noticed recently that Revlon’s “In the Red” has been discontinued since I did this review. Sigh. Another great red lipstick one bites the dust!
Do you like red lipstick? Do you have a favorite brand or color? What do you think of drugstore brand lipsticks? Would you try any of them?
Like what you see? Follow me!