Can Eyeglasses Be Stylish and Affordable?

Eyeglasses and I first met in fourth grade when it became apparent that I had trouble seeing the chalkboard. My first pair was a classic tortoise-shell style rather like the ones above. Unfortunately, my frames had little Superman emblems on the side, a small detail I failed to notice when I first tried them on.  I was teased ruthlessly by an especially nasty “friend” and spent the year squinting at the board rather than hear endless comments about my dorky taste in accessories. This would probably make most nine-year olds never want to wear glasses again. It just made me want to pick out a different pair.

Over the years I have owned, and loved, many eyeglasses. The optometrist who sold me my very first pair of Superman frames still takes care of my eyes. He sells really unusual, beautiful designer eyewear.  With experience I’ve learned that the more unusual the frame, the happier I am wearing them. Although the glasses my optometrist sells are expensive, they’re also very unique and colorful. These red frames never fail to garner compliments and they’re a very good example of the style of frames that I like.

I’ve updated the lenses in the tortoise shell frames in the photo below many times.  I love the classic look of these glasses and still wear them occasionally even though they’re a at least ten years old.

Because I take good care of my eyeglasses I don’t mind spending a fair amount of money on them.  Good quality frames tend to last a long time. Recently, however, my glasses have been costing more than I can manage. For a few years when I wasn’t working I simply couldn’t buy a new pair at all, and had to make do with changing the lenses.  It never occurred to me that I could order stylish, affordable, high quality eyeglasses online. I really thought I’d have to go to a different doctor in order to buy glasses I could afford.

So when GlassesUSA.com contacted me about writing a sponsored post for their company I was intrigued.  Their belief is that people pay far too much for their eyeglasses, and they offer high quality, well designed eyewear through their online site. Clicking around the website I found a number of glasses that I would love to add to my collection.  Here are a few of my favorites. (If you like a pair click on the title. It links to the page at GlassesUSA.)

Cool Grey  and White Eyeglass Frames

Two-Tone Eyeglass Frames

Unusual Red Eyeglass Frames

Retro Grey Eyeglass Frames

Dark Green Eyeglass Frames

I love my collection of eyewear and choose a different pair each day based on the weather and what I’m wearing.  Because I like to be able to look at my I-phone without taking off my glasses I have just invested in my first pair of “progressive” eyeglasses, shown in the photo below. These have a very light tint on the lenses so I can wear them when I drive. Unfortunately they cost much more than I could comfortably afford, and although I love the frames I do wish I had known about online eyeglasses before I purchased them. In the future I will try to buy glasses on the web before I lay down more than $400 at the optometrist’s office.

GlassesUSA offers some other nice features on their website including an article on how to choose frames for your face shape: “Which frames will best flatter your style”. Besides their high quality frames and lenses, they offer a 110% lowest price guarantee and a 100% satisfaction guarantee as well as a generous refer-a-friend program.

They are currently having an early holiday sale. Take 30% off any pair of glasses and get FREE US shipping with the code: Holiday2011. Basic single vision lenses included and upgrades are available for an additional cost. Take 10% off any order of prescription glasses with the code: Blog10

Do you wear glasses? Do you find them to be a fun fashion accessory or just something you need to wear to see?

Would you ever try buying prescription glasses online?  Have you purchased glasses online?  If so, please tell me about the experience!

, , , ,

15 Responses to Can Eyeglasses Be Stylish and Affordable?

1. Kelly December 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Hello, we met last night at the Christmas party and I had the pleasure of checking out your blog and I just wanted to say I love it. I appreciate how the page is solely about fashion, style and products. I will definitely be checking your page to see what new and exciting updates you post. Have a great day!

• Heather Fonseca December 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks Kelly! It was great meeting you too. I so wish we could have stayed longer because I was really enjoying the conversation. I’m so glad you like my blog and I really continue to find content that you enjoy!

2. anne
    December 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Ah, Heather, you are my muse. I hope you don’t find me a scary stalker…

I was recently going through old family photos and think I must do a post on the history of my glasses. The first pair in first grade? Baby blue cat-eyes. “Lovely”

I’ve settled on my current signature look: giant black round ones ala Carrie Donovan. They’re a Calvin Klein sunglasses style (circa 2000?) that I originally purchased from my optometrist (he replaced the tinted lenses with my prescription)$$$. I broke the original pair (tragedy!) and my boyfriend found the same style for sale at an outlet place and bought me 5 pairs! I’m on pair #2.

I’m a bit leery of buying glasses online. With myopia, astigmatism AND presbyopia my eyes are “complicated.”
    anne recently posted..IFB Project #26: The Best of 2011My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 19, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Baby blue cat eyes sound really cool to me! I love cat eyes but they don’t usually look that good on my face for some reason. I like your big black frames too. They’re very cool.

3. Alexis Grace December 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

I an in need of a new prescription. I haven’t worn my glasses in years and am struggling to see more and more…. hopefully I find a pair as chic as these options. I especially like the retro grey frames.
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Under Wraps: A Lesson In CompromiseMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

You’re so cute I’m sure you’ll find some great frames for your face! Please share when you do.

December 20, 2011 at 12:03 am #

Great post! I’ve had a love / hate relationship with glasses my whole life. I have an eye condition called nystagmus and I’ve had to wear them since birth, but also resisted them since then. Now I have 4 sets of glasses. 1 for close, 1 for computer, 1 for far, and 1 pair of sunnies for everything. I love those glasses above and mine are not as fashionable. I now buy them for comfort and have ultralight and ultra flexible glasses that I always wear for reading and computer, and driving. Whenever I go outside though I don’t wear any as my ‘far’ glasses don’t really improve my eye sight. I’d love to have some fashionable ones, but my prescription changes so much that it’s just not economically sensible! Will check out this site though. Happy holidays!
    Sylvia recently posted..The best of the 2012 prefall collections so farMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 20, 2011 at 9:18 am #

I often have the lenses on my frames updated to go with my newest prescription. Just changing the lenses isn’t all that expensive. It’s funny because I really don’t think that much about comfort with my frames. It’s never occurred to me but of course it’s important. Glad you liked the post!

December 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I just had my annual visit to the eye doc. UH! I dread it every year!! Some people hate going to the dentist, but in my case it’s the eye doc. I’ve been wearing glasses since Kindergarten! Started out with pink cat eye glasses. They would probably be cool now. :) I was so glad when I was old enough to get contacts! My current glasses are from Betsey Johnson. Even though they are stylish, I still don’t like them and will only wear them in my home or when I’m completely lazy to take the extra minute to put in my lenses. My favorite glasses were my John Lennon style ones. I would never order online because I would definitely need to try them on first. Takes me a while to pick out ones I could live with.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photographing “Wonderful”My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 23, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Actually I really dread the eye doctor too. I didn’t talk about it in the article because it seemed off topic but he’s got the bitchiest women working in there. I might be seeing a different eye doctor next year anyway. And I know how you feel about trying them on – eye glasses are very personal!

6. Elle December 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

I very rarely wear my glasses, even though I should… I don’t even have contacts, I just hate my glasses. And whoa, this company sounds really similar in design and vision to Warby Parker, who are known as visionaries in the field… They do wonderful vintage inspired lenses for $99.
    Elle recently posted..Better Late than Never: What’s in my Purse?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

I’ll have to check them out. I like wearing my glasses but I’m usually in sunglasses during the day. I think having a really cool, flattering set of frames helps!

7. Patricia Streeter
    January 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

I remember when I was in grade schools. The frames were horrible and the lenses were very large. Movies, television, and books made it seem like wearing glasses was the worst thing that could happen to you. Today, I see that they’re not. Now, glasses are considered an accessory for those with perfect vision. For people like me, they are stylish and help me see the world clearer. Also, they can be pretty pricey. At times, I’ve paid more for glasses then I would on the newest tech toy. I am glad; I stumbled across your blog post. Now, I know there are other places to buy my glasses. Thank you!

• Heather Fonseca January 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Hi Patricia. I’m so glad you liked the post. I really believe that glasses can be cool and stylish.

• Patricia Streeter
        January 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

They can be. During my Literary Journalism night class, I noticed my English professor had on a bold pair of glasses. They were brown on the outside but had a turquoise tint on the inside. I’ve known her since my freshman year and one thing is certain. She is the perfect example of professional chic.