How to wear Red Jeans for the Holidays

For the last few years almost every fashion magazine I’ve read has promoted colored jeans. I love the look,  but I’ve noticed it hasn’t been adopted by most women. Perhaps we’re just too enamored by the slimming qualities of dark denim or we’re unsure how to wear bright colors on the lower half of our bodies. Whatever the reason, if you’re thinking about trying the trend the time is now.  Bright jewel tones look festive during the holidays and red is a classic winter color.

Here’s how I paired a red cardigan with red skinny jeans for two holiday parties.

I don’t normally wear jeans to parties as I prefer the glamour of evening dresses.  However, gatherings at people’s homes can be chilly this time of year and I often freeze in a dress. The solution is to wear pants and a sweater. Boring? Not if the combination is dark red skinny jeans and a soft red cardigan.  I paired this outfit with a black camisole and black spike heel pumps.  For a bit of vintage sparkle I added my grandmother’s poinsettia pin and long red earrings. It’s casual and cozy but still glamorous enough for a holiday event. To stay warm on the way to the party I’ve thrown on my Mother-in-Law’s 1970’s black faux fur coat. Lip stick, compact and phone fit perfectly in my Mother’s vintage leopard clutch.

The jeans are made by my favorite denim brand: J Brand.  I wore them in the post “British Red Skinny Jeans” and find them flattering, surprisingly comfortable and of course very sexy. The coat was featured in one of my favorite posts: “Film Noir”.

• Earrings – Anthropologie
  • Pin – My grandmother’s
  • Camisole – Target
  • Cardigan – Sisters (Purchased at the Takapuna Pop Up Shop. To be featured here soon.)
  • Faux Fur Coat – My Mother-in-Law’s, 1970’s Vintage
  • Clutch – My Mother’s, late 1950’s
  • Jeans – J Brand
  • Pumps – Nine West

How are you wearing your red jeans?

, , , , ,

18 Responses to How to wear Red Jeans for the Holidays

1. Alexis Grace December 21, 2011 at 10:30 am #

This is such a great look! And I can say that with confidence—- since I saw it in person! Those jeans fit amazingly!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..A Closer Look At Rooney MaraMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks Alexis! They’re J-Brand, and guess what, there’s a J-Brand outlet store here in Downtown LA. Would it be fun to get the girls together and go one afternoon after the holiday craziness has past? Let me know.

2. sandy December 21, 2011 at 11:08 am #

you look beautiful in these pictures heather, great smiles! and i love the red on red with faux fur and leopard! perfect mix of lux and caszh! i wore a similar outfit this saturday to a xmas party — starting out with a dress, i knew i’d freeze my buns off so opted for jeans, with mile-high heels, a faux fur coat and a red snake skin clutch. i felt sassy and festive! hope you have a great holiday!

• Heather Fonseca December 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

Hi Sandy! Thanks so much for stopping by the blog. Your outfit sounds fabulous! Wish I could see it in person.

3. Lisa
    December 21, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Love this look. The colored jeans I see in stores are often too bright for my taste, but I love color of yours – very sophisticated. I may have to be on the lookout for a pair.

• Heather Fonseca December 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

Thanks Lisa! I found these jeans at nordstroms in November and made one of those spur of the moment decisions. They weren’t on sale but I had to have them! So glad I did. You aren’t the only person I know who tells me the new batch of red jeans are neon bright. Hopefully they’ll calm the colors down for the next season.

4. anne
    December 22, 2011 at 10:22 am #

you look radiant.
    I especially love the shot with the coat wrapped close, you clutching the clutch.
    [bravo, Hugo!]
    anne recently posted..More Christmas Cookies? Yes, pleaseMy Profile

5. Catherine December 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

I love the berry and red together! Unfortunately I never found red jeans that worked for me. I’m really regretting that now that I see your great outfit!
    Catherine recently posted..holiday outfit recipe: preppy festiveMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Aw thanks! Keep looking. I don’t see the red jean trend going away any time soon.

6. mary jo
    December 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

Love your deep red jeans! I sucumbed to the red minnie from J. Crew and wear them constantly.

Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas Heather!

mary jo recently posted..art inspired: raphael, madonna della sediaMy Profile

7. Jamillah December 23, 2011 at 6:55 am #

I haven’t adopted this either!!! I really want to though! But haven’t found the right jeans for me. I love the look on you and the outfit is totally festive and yes a great alternative to a party dress.

Dies for your mom’s coat. It’s so elegant.
    Jamillah recently posted..I Heart the Internet-Be a Busy BeeMy Profile

8. Leia December 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

I adore your coat and your clutch! I don’t have red jeans, and don’t wear jeans to parties either (like you I prefer dresses!), but when I wear my pink trousers I normally pair them with something toned down such as black or white. That makes them pop, and assures I don’t look TOO much like a strawberry! (Although I did once wear them with a military-esque diamante-studded jacket… I got a few strange looks that day)

• Heather Fonseca December 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

I’m sure you looked great in a studded jacket and pink trousers. Sounds cool to me.

1. Reader's Question: Red Denim - North On Harper - January 16, 2012

[...] these looks?  Want more red denim bliss?  Check out this recent post by Heather over at The Style Confessions who shared her version of the [...]

2. Updating Red Jeans - November 12, 2012

[...] my cranberry colored jeans. I wore them with a black knit blouse last fall, with red during the holiday season, and with an oversized madras shirt this summer.  I wanted to wear them a bit differently this [...]