Sparkly, Smoky, Party-Worthy Eye Shadow (From the Drugstore!)

Sometimes you find the most amazing cosmetics in the strangest places. Who would have thought “Wet & Wild”, that purveyor of teenage scented lip glosses, would produce an elegantly formulated, high quality line of eye shadow?  Not me. Yet I can tell you without the slightest bit of hesitation that their eye shadow trios are some of the best I’ve ever tried. You can buy Wet & Wild cosmetics at most drug stores. Although the company offers a wide variety of eye shadow trios and singles not all stores sell the complete line of product, so if you don’t find what you want at the first store keep looking.

Here’s what I look for in an eye shadow:

• Feel – I like my eye shadow finely milled, smooth and creamy in consistency.
  • Application – The makeup should go on easily and smoothly.
  • Staying power – Eye shadow should stay where it’s placed. It should not migrate, crease, or fade.
  • Color – Shade preference is subjective, but I like my eye shadow heavily pigmented enough to apply quickly.

I’m wearing “Don’t Steal My Thunder” Color Icon Eye Shadow. Although the white color in this trio is less heavily pigmented than the silver and glittery black, it’s a small drawback considering the trio only costs $3.  Yes, you read that right.  One of the best powder eye shadows I’ve ever tried costs less than a grande latte at Starbucks.

Here’s how I created the dramatic evening look in these photographs:

1. I started with makeup foundation on my whole face, including eyelids, and dusted powder on top.
  2. Next, I applied the silver color to my eyelid up to the crease.
  3. Then I carefully layered the glittery black color into the crease and the area near the lash line avoiding the area nearest my nose and leaving the silver to shine in middle of my eyelid.
  4. Using a fine brush I swept some of the black under my eye.
  5. For a bit more definition I wet the fine brush and applied more of the black color to my top lash line.
  6. At the end I put a little of the white color under my brow bone and in the middle of my eyelid.
  7. The look is finished up with a healthy dose of mascara, some blush, nude lip liner, nude lip gloss, and more powder.

So you know, I was not paid for this review and I purchased the makeup on my own.

I’m also not a makeup artist. In the realm of cosmetic application I am completely self-taught.  I’m certain that if you like this look you will be able to replicate it easily. For the best results use your own makeup brushes rather than the brushes that come with the set.

This isn’t a look I’d wear during the day, but it’s a lot of fun at night.

Have you ever tried Wet & Wild eyeshadow? Do you like wearing smoky eye shadow in the evening?

, , , , ,

19 Responses to Sparkly, Smoky, Party-Worthy Eye Shadow (From the Drugstore!)

1. Alexis Grace December 28, 2011 at 10:04 am #

I am so shocked to hear that this is Wet and Wild! I am kind of awful at doing a smoky eye. I have really deep set eyes, so I am always scared they will end up looking cavernous.
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Best of 2011: NYFW S/S 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Smoky eyes can be tricky! My eyes have, sadly, become hooded as I’ve gotten older which makes eye makeup both necessary ( for definition of the eye area) and more difficult to apply. I have always wanted deep set eyes! It seems like makeup looks so good on the women who have them.

2. Elle December 28, 2011 at 11:17 am #

You look gorgeous here Heather! I love the smoky eye. Wet and Wild has definitely upped their game they have several wonderful eye shadows now- they have these 4 palettes based on the 7 deadly sins that came out a while ago that are AMAZING- 6 colors for 4.99, 3 matte, 3 shimmer- best mattes in the drug store HANDS down. I love their lipsticks too. :)
    Elle recently posted..Better Late than Never: What’s in my Purse?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

I think I have the set called “lust” and I agree, it’s great. Those dark purple colors are really flattering. Glad you liked the look!

3. Dress Code: High Fashion
    December 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

OMG Heather, can you please never wear any other make-up again!?! You look PERFECT! So 80s, so fun, so hot, so sexy!

I guess it`s safe to say you`re ready for new year`s eve! Have a great party, dear!

Hugs & best wishes for the new year!

Jenny
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Vivienne Westwood Anglomania F/W 11/12 LookbookMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks Jenny. I hope you have a fulfilled new years eve and an amazing 2012.

4. GRIT & GLAMOUR
    December 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Woooooooweeeee, mama! Lookin’ good! Love your eyes and the mani. Perfect for NYE.

Hope 2012 brings you unrivaled happiness, Heather. Cheers!
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW: Holiday Uniform*My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I hope your 2012 is stellar as well V! And I hope it comes with lots more posts on grit and glamour too. You’re such an inspiration to me.

December 30, 2011 at 2:45 am #

You look very glamorous indeed! I have never worn a smokey eye as I have no idea how to do it and I often find it too much. I should try it sometime though….
    Sylvia recently posted..Beautiful fashion found at Deb Collections in HaarlemMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

I’ve had a hard time in the past creating a smoky eye myself. I think it’s just practice and finding makeup that goes on smoothly. So often it can clump and just look muddy rather than smoky!

6. RoseJ December 30, 2011 at 6:52 am #

You really look gorgeous and the combination of your make-up really fits to your hair. Love watching the stunning photos.
    RoseJ recently posted..How To Attract WomenMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Thank you so much Rosie! I’m glad you’re liking the photos. My husband will be pleased. He takes the photos.

7. mary jo
    December 30, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Fun! I love a smoky eye! I think I’ve heard a few makeup artists say that they use Wet and Wild. I’m all into the healthy stuff these days but if I weren’t I’d definitely try this because you look great Heather!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and very happy/bubbly new year! Wishing you all happiness in 2012!

mary jo recently posted..into this bright future we go!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

I’m so glad you like the look. I know almost nothing about natural cosmetics – probably tried to many so so ones years ago – so if you have some recommendations please share!

December 31, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Very dramatic! Really brings your eyes out. I haven’t worn eye shadow in forever! I think I just don’t know the right way to wear it. :)
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Happy New Year!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

I plan on posting more natural looks in the future. I’d say just practice in front of the mirror. You can always take it off. I had help from a good tutorial book that I found at the library. I need to find the name of it so I can buy it. When I do I’ll send the title to you.

9. Cecile January 4, 2012 at 9:09 am #

This look really suits you, and I love the last photo of the series: it would be a great advertisement for the product !!!

• Heather Fonseca January 4, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Thanks so much Cecile! I’m glad you like the photos. Let me know if you ever try the makeup.

1. The Best Makeup from the Drugstore - The Style Confessions™ - October 14, 2013

[…] Eggshells”, a pretty rose, bronze and sparkly beige set, very often. The dramatically smoky  Don’t Steal My Thunder  is another of my […]