Winter Plaid

A Passion for Plaid

The other day I found a pair of plaid shoes on sale at a local shoe mart.  The size wasn’t quite right and my husband couldn’t understand why I would ever want a pair of fuzzy plaid pumps, so I put them aside.  Part of me still longs for them though.  You see I love plaid, really love it and can’t get enough of it, ever. Winter is the perfect time to indulge in this romantic textile, so even though I passed on the shoes I didn’t pass on this perfectly practical coat, found on sale last year.  Maybe one day I’ll have the courage to buy some shoes to match.

This outfit is very carefully constructed around a styling principle I learned as a doll designer.  When I want to combine a few unusual colors together on a doll I will create a print with those colors then add the print somewhere to the outfit.  Voila!  With the addition of the print all the colors will harmonize. In this case the plaid coat substitutes for the print. It’s woven from threads of black, grey, cream, light teal and burgundy.  I wore a burgundy faux fur neck scarf, teal blouse, teal clutch, black jeans and grey boots and liked how the pieces looked together, however the outfit really came together with the addition of the coat. After years of designing for dolls I suppose I’ve started dressing like one myself.

Grey Boots with Red Zippers

To improve our websites and gain more followers bloggers are advised to focus on SEO, or “Search Engine Optimization”. People explore the web by typing in “key words” on Google and other search engines, but what do you do when people find your blog by typing in the phrase “grey boots with red zippers”? Last year I posted this outfit and included a photo of my grey boots.  That photo is in the top 20 most viewed posts on this site.  This is the sort of strange, random thing that really makes me scratch my head in wonder.

Here I am wearing the sought after boots once again.  When I purchased them I thought they were a bit unusual but wearable.  Unfortunately they’re just unusual. The don’t look good with skirts at all, in fact they only look good with these black jeans.  I’ve tried them with other outfits but they just don’t look right. So buyers beware!  They do, however, look pretty great with this combination of black, teal and burgundy.

Can’t Get Enough of the Clutch Trend

Ever since I started seeing photos of women in Manhattan and Paris toting around these very impractical little purses I’ve desperately wanted one myself.  I was lucky enough to find my python clutch at the Goodwill early this fall, but I have searched for these little bags at retail with no success, until now.  I wandered into a small, independent clothing store called Veronica M and found myself surrounded by the cutest collection of bags.  This bright blue one caught my eye.  The price was affordable.  How could I say no?  Here’s to small local shops selling trendy goods before the big chains jump on the bandwagon!

I’m rather on the fence about the clutch trend.  On the one hand I find it very elegant, on the other it’s so incredibly impractical I wonder how long it will be in fashion.  It took me a long time to warm to the really huge bag trend that was in style for so long, but I adored this small bag trend immediately.  Theres something very ladylike about these little purses. Perhaps that’s why I like them.

• Faux Fur Scarf – a gift
  • Coat – Tommy Hilfiger
  • Blouse – Veronica M
  • Jeans – Target
  • Clutch – Veronica M
  • Boots – Charles David

What are your thoughts on plaid?  Do you like the clutch purse trend?

If you have a blog, are you surprised by the popularity of some of your posts?

, , , , , ,

29 Responses to Winter Plaid

1. Alexis Grace January 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

How cool are those zippers???? And the jacket is great as well!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..NoH Series: The LBD (Work)My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Oh I know, that’s why I bought them! Loved those crazy red zippers.

2. Rachel
    January 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I am definitely a lover of plaid. I can’t tell you how many comments I’ve gotten on the fact that way too many people have thought I’ve dressed like a Catholic School girl way beyond an age that was appropriate. :( Therefore, I don’t currently have a plaid piece. That makes me even sadder. I love your jacket. I’ll have to keep an eye out for something more appropriate like that for myself.

The clutch trend….hmmmm. I’m on the fence with it personally. I hate handbags. I love them. They’re gorgeous pieces of art. I hate having to haul something around with me that usually ends up getting filled with useless pieces of junk/trash/children’s toys that are ditched on to me when they get tired of carrying them. While I think clutches are sleek and pretty they’re really only viable for me to carry on an evening out with my husband.

I have a blog and yes, I’m perpetually surprised by the posts that end up being popular. I was marveling at my post “Tiny Tight Rant” because the glittered tights I used as an example are still coming back in searches and getting hits daily. It’s just so weird and I totally don’t understand it hehehehe.
    Rachel recently posted..HairFlairMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Hi Rachel! Personally I think once a Catholic school girl, always a Catholic school girl. If I had a plaid kilt right now I’d be wearing it, probably with a blazer and to heck with anyone who doesn’t like it. First I’ve got to get the skirt though. Love your “tiny tight rant” story! It is so random isn’t it?

3. anne aka SpyGirl
    January 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

very fond of plaid.

LOVE what Hugo did with the lighting in the backlit shots. ALMOST looks like snow!

wondering: how does the dress on your “follow on facebook” badge go with this coat? Same colors?

your SEO/verbiage comment is SO true. it’s so random.
    “repurposed” has caused lots of hits for me.
    lately it’s been “fake spy missions”
    anne aka SpyGirl recently posted..Where In the World: DFWMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

The dress I’m wearing on the “follow on facebook” badge is more navy blue and green. It’s also actually a light weight cotton. I tried putting them together but it looked like too much too me.
      Your SEO is really funny – especially the fake spy missions part!

4. Jeannie
    January 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Great plaid jacket…you wear them like no other. I recently ordered Charles David boots…almost like yours, had to return them cuz they were so stiff. Your boots look great with jeans tho.
    Jeannie recently posted..Fur-la-la-laMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Yeah, my grey boots are pretty stiff as well. They’re really not all that comfortable and I’ve avoided Charles David ever since.

5. Ariane January 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Fabulous post. I have a yellow Sonia Rykiel plaid coat I bought in Paris about 15 years ago and I have no idea how to wear it. I love it….. but never can find the right thing to wear it with. Maybe one day if you see it you can give me some ideas…..

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Hi Ariane! I would love to come over and check out your Sonia Tykiel. I would say it it’s yellow that it would probably look good with black, but I’ll have to come see.

6. Jessie in Fashion Limbo January 26, 2012 at 5:36 am #

I do love that clutch, although I can see how it may be a tad impractical, but it’s simply too gorgeous not to give it a try, right? The colour is so pretty, and love the original buckle detail :)
    Jessie in Fashion Limbo recently posted..VV Vintage is live – shop ethically & creativelyMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Thanks Jessie. I feel the same way about the clutch trend, it’s so pretty why not give it a try!

7. Patricia Streeter
    January 26, 2012 at 11:05 am #

I love your plaid coat and those boots are amazing! My favorite color is blue. Adding all of this together, I give an A+ for this outfit. Keep up the great post.

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks Patricia! I love getting an A+ in anything, but especially outfits.

8. Delores January 27, 2012 at 12:02 am #

I love the photos, but I love the boots more. I love the combination of black boots and red zippers on it.
    Delores recently posted..A Closer Look at 5 Tinnitus RemediesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks Delores and thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

January 27, 2012 at 4:37 am #

Great jacket. I love how it looks on you and great with those boots with red zippers too. Never knew they were so popular!
    Sylvia recently posted..Style icon Coco ChanelMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I thought you would approve of the jacket! It is rather colorful.

10. Jamillah January 27, 2012 at 6:22 am #

LOL, yes there are posts where I definitely am scratching my head to why they do better than others. But alas this is why I don’t pay attention to my stats.

I always have extreme picture envy with you. The colors are so vivid! I do LOVE the clutch trend, but I can’t adopt it in my life in a real way…I need to be able to sling my life over my shoulder! Also your blog is looking super sharp.
    Jamillah recently posted..Shop for MORE-Future StandardMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Thanks so much Jamillah! I have my husband to thank for the photos. He spends a lot of time in Photoshop tweaking the colors for that artsy effect.
      As for the clutch, so far for me it’s weekend-only wear. On my normal days I use a big black tote.

11. Dress Code: High Fashion
    January 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Your coat totally ROCKS!

I can`t get enough of clutches either. I took one to a Club with me last weekend…but I had no idea how super annoying it becomes to hold a little clutch for 4 hours straight…

Have a nice weekend, Jen
    Dress Code: High Fashion recently posted..Roberto Cavalli Jewellery S/S 12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

It is difficult to carry clutches around. Imagine for a moment how silly I look trying to run after my kids holding a clutch under one arm. Ah, what we do to be fashionable!!!

12. Mary Jo
    January 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Love your whole outfit Heather, especially the clutch! What a pretty color!

Mary Jo recently posted..eye on style: elie of punctuation markMy Profile

January 28, 2012 at 10:13 am #

As always the photos are gorgeous, congrats on making Links a la mode by the way. I love the clutch trend, I think it looks cleaner than having a back with any sort of handle. However, I only consider it from a purely visual aspect, I can easily see how impractical it could be to hold it all day/night. The teal colour is a nice option to add a bit of colour to an outfit in winter too.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Mens Spring Summer 2012 Trend Guide Part 2My Profile

14. Sharon January 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

I love the entire outfit. Great style. I doubt I will ever be able to give up my super large handbags. . .I carry a wristlet for places like partying in Vegas .. . but I need a big “my aching back” purse. haha.
    I have not looked at my Google analytics for 6 months. Maybe even 8. I really should read it but, not excuse . . .I will put that on my list of things to do tomorrow.
    Sharon recently posted..Heel of the Week/Alexander McQueen Wave Strappy WedgeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

I too carry a big purse with me during the week. I get fashion crazy on the weekends though! As for the analytics, I have them installed on my dashboard so I see them whenever I look at my blog.

1. Winter Plaid | Placedelamode - January 28, 2012