Dressing for winter while dreaming of spring

Photos of young women wearing bright colors and pastels fill the magazines, a reminder that spring in all its glory will be here soon. Until then we must make do with winter. This year the weather in Los Angeles has been especially cold and blustery.  Normally in early March I’m desperate for warmer weather so I can wear my bright-colored spring garments, but this time I’m trying something new.  This year I’m pretending it’s not March but September.  I’m reminding myself just how hot the weather has been, and how happy I am to feel rain on my face, to watch the clouds blow through the sky and feel a cool breeze on my skin.  Considering that the fashion world showed its new fall collections just recently it’s not all that difficult to get excited about deep colors, fur and heavy, warm fabrics.

This fall, like every fall, I invested in a few cold weather pieces to get me through the colder months ahead. When I purchased this faux fur jacket in early October I knew it wouldn’t be cold enough to wear it for a couple of months.  Now that it’s gotten chilly I’m so happy to have it.  Warm but lightweight, it’s one of the most useful garments in my closet right now. It goes with almost everything and as long as I’m not obsessing about spring colors I’m happy to have it on.

So bring on the dark brown, the black, the scarves and my little faux fur jacket!  It’s no longer autumn but the weather is acting like it is.  I’m pretending it’s fall and my dreams of a bright spring wardrobe can wait a little longer.

Jacket – Gallery, purchased at Nordrtrom

Scarf – purchased at Leohmanns, no tag

Purse – Baggallini

Dress – Rachel Roy

Tights – Target

Boots – Bandolino

Are you dreaming of spring or pretending it’s fall?

, ,

22 Responses to Dressing for winter while dreaming of spring

1. Alexis Grace February 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

I am guilty of trying to embrace the pastels, etc.— but you are make fall & winter look rather appealing!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..DSquared2 F/W 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Thank you Alexis! I don’t want to freeze and my spring clothes are not warm. I’ve never quite managed to get a spring wardrobe that includes a bunch of warm coats, though I think that might be what works in this climate.

2. mary jo
    February 28, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

i like the idea of wearing a faux fur jacket about now, it’s been so cold! i’m kinda wearing both, schitzophrenically wearing spring things under my jackets. Hope you are well Heather and that things have settled down a bit!

xo mary jo
    mary jo recently posted..art inspired: de kooning, pink angelsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Every year I tell myself I’m going to only buy winter coats that can be worn over spring clothes, because it’s so cold here in the spring and don’t have any warm spring clothes. But for some reason that never works out! I suppose I’ll have to keep working on it.

3. Jeannie
    February 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

Gorgeous photos! You look stunning!
    Jeannie recently posted..Today’s thought….My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Thank you Jeannie! I need to get over to your blog to see what you’re wearing this winter. I’m a bit behind on my blog reading.

4. Amber Lena
    February 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Your pictures are stunning! Here in Seattle its difficult to imagine that Spring may actually arrive, so I’m still embracing winter!
    Amber Lena recently posted..Dinner for SchmucksMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

I have never been to Seattle but I hear it’s very rainy. Personally I love the rain and the colder weather, but I can see where it would get tiresome after a while. I’m glad I’m not the only one embracing winter!

February 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Lovely photos Heather and you look great. But I do look forward to seeing you in more colour this Spring and Summer!
    Sylvia recently posted..If you want to lose weight, don’t diet…. here are some simple rules that work!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Me to Syliva! I have some colorful things but I think I’m going to need to get some bright outerwear so I don’t freeze. Spring is usually the coldest time of year here in L.A.

March 1, 2012 at 2:51 am #

I love how comfy and cosy the faux fur jacket looks. You definitely work the winter look well. Today’s the 1st of March and the sun is out, no doubt my city will be filled with people who think it’s high summer. Any little bit of sun we get in the UK see’s people automatically think it’s summer time and dress like they’re on the beach.

I’m wise enough to know that although it’s sunny they’ll still be a chill, so I’ll probably be wearing my transitional pieces, light weight trench, jeans, shirt and a knit. Just to be on the safe side.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..A Look At WIO: Wear It Once DiseaseMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Layering is always a good idea this time of year. Can’t tell you how much I’m jonesing for a new trench, preferably a slim, bright colored one!

7. A Brit Greek
    March 1, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Hun, I think you looked like you just stepped off the catwalk! LOVE this look, so much fun -especially the shades!
    It’s sooooo cold here at the moment, I am wearing everything I own!

Love the night-like shots!
    x.o.x.o
    p.s I think you’d rock metallics – the fierce way – will you post something soon! Would love to see!
    A Brit Greek recently posted..Metallic Mix: Bling BlingMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 1, 2012 at 11:04 am #

So glad I’m not the only one staying cozy in my fall clothes! I would love to rock some metallics but I don’t have any! I mean none. nada. Not even a purse. But I’ll have to work on that I think.

8. Melanie March 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Fantastic photo shoot! I love the lighting. Your texture mixing is wonderful – the coat especially, it looks like you could get lost in there it is so sumptuous. And the subtle colour from the flowers in the first shot – oh yes.

• Heather Fonseca March 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

The first shot is my favorite too. I loved the pop of color from the flowers. So glad you liked the photos and welcome to the blog!

9. DressCode:HighFashion
    March 2, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Wow! Is this the new Etro ad campaign!?! Fantastic opulent style (that usually only the italians pull off)! Picture 1, 3 and 4 four are my favourites.

Have a nice weekend.

Hugs, Jen

• Heather Fonseca March 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Thank you Jen! So glad you like the photos. They are moody, and I love that about them.

March 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Just curious – how cold is cold where you are?

In NY we’ve had very mild winter. I am soooo not ready for warm weather yet!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Family Activity NYC – NY AquariumMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Oh, it’s not that cold really. Probably in the low 50’s last week. But we’re so used to warm mild weather that what’s not cold to everyone else is cold as heck to us.

11. Shanti March 5, 2013 at 10:47 am #

these photos are sooo cool! love your sunglasses!