Three Decadent Burgundy Lipsticks (From the Drugstore!)

When the beauty gurus heralded burgundy lipstick as a big makeup trend last fall I was both elated and cautious.  I wore a lot of deep red lipsticks in the 1990’s but recently the dark lip colors I’ve tried have left me looking like the undead, but not in an elegant way. I thought perhaps I’d try again to find a few good burgundy-wine-berry colors and made the quest more challenging by finding these lipsticks for under $10 at the drugstore.

Romantic Dark Berry Lipstick

Disclosure: I purchased all of these products with my own money and was not compensated for the post by the brands I recommend, however there are affiliate links embedded in some of the links. If you click on them I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!

The first time out on the hunt I got lucky. Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick comes in 72 time-tested colors. I thought for sure I’d find a great burgundy in the line, and I did! “Blackberry” is a very dark red creme lipstick.  It’s warm but somehow manages to come across as red, not brown. According to this article Revlon’s blackberry color has been around since the early 90’s.  The author says the original color was darker and more blue in tone.

• Color – Dark red
  • Staying Power – The lipstick will stay in place for hours but it does need to be reapplied after a meal.
  • Feel – Goes on creamy and stays that way.
  • Bleed – Even though its quite dark the lipstick does not seem to bleed at all.
  • Scent– The smell reminds me of crayon but it’s very faint.
  • Price – Around $8

If you prefer your burgundy a bit more violet in tone, try “Euphoria”, one of the wonderful Lip Perfection lipsticks by Covergirl. It has a slightly cooler cast than “Blackberry” while still being a true creme with not a hint of shimmer.  The two lipsticks have about the same level of pigmentation. I had to return the one I tried because it was so close to “Blackberry”, but I wanted to mention it anyway. Covergirl presented the color in one of their magazine advertisements. Check out the photo here. Personally I think it’s prettier in real life.

Glittery Burgundy Lipstick

Covergirl’s Lip Perfection Lipstick line is quickly becoming one of my favorite collections at the drugstore.  I have yet to try a color that doesn’t look good on me, and I’m pretty picky.  “Everlasting” is slightly sheer and utterly gorgeous. It’s imbued with coppery glitter making it a really fun choice for an evening look.
  • Color – Shimmery dark magenta with copper glitter
  • Staying Power – This lipstick stays on for hours but will need to be reapplied after meals.
  • Feel – This goes on creamy but feels dry after a few minutes.
  • Bleed – It does not seem to bleed into the fine lines around my mouth.
  • Scent – The lipstick smells light and buttery.
  • Price – Around $8
 If you’re on the hunt for a truly dark, vampy, glittery lipstick you might want to try Rimmel’s Lasting Finish lipstick in “Bordeaux”. It’s similar to “Everlasting” but even darker.

A Burgundy Lipstick for Everyday

As far as I’m concerned sheer lip color is always the most flattering, and often the most wearable, in any range of color.  The “Boots” brand is only sold at Target here in the states but the more I check out their line of makeup the more I like it.  No7 Sheer Temptation Lipstick in “Fascinate” acts like a gloss but looks and applies like a lipstick.  I wear it more often than any of the other lipsticks I’ve reviewed here as it’s versatile and always looks pretty.
  • Color – Sheer dark berry
  • Staying Power – This only lasts about an hour and must be reapplied after meals.
  • Feel – Soft and creamy
  • Bleed – The color is too sheer to bleed.
  • Scent – There doesn’t seem to be much perfume added to this gloss.  It smells rather like crayon.
  • Price – $10

Shimmery Burgundy Gloss

Bonus round! I also found a fantastic gloss for those of us who like our lips super shiny.  If you like lip gloss and haven’t tried Revlon’s Colorburst lip gloss be sure to check it out.  The tube of goo falls somewhere between a gloss and a lipstick, having more pigment than most glosses.  This one is super shiny and sparkly too. The color is called “Bordeaux”.
  • Color – Sparkly dark magenta
  • Staying Power – It’s a gloss, so it doesn’t last that long
  • Feel – Very creamy but not sticky
  • Bleed – This does ooze a little – it’s gloss after all!
  • Scent – The smell reminds me of cookie dough.
  • Price – $8

How to Wear Dark Lipstick

Burgundy lips is not a natural look for many women and I would recommend wearing at least a little powder and mascara to balance the strength of the color decorating your lips.  In these photos I’m wearing a lot of makeup but that’s mostly because the camera requires it. Normally I like the way burgundy lipstick looks with nothing more than sheer foundation, powder, some taupe eye shadow, mascara and a bit of blush.

How to Apply Dark Lipstick

To apply burgundy lipstick start by exfoliating the lips with a product designed for the purpose or brush them with a clean, dry toothbrush.  Then line the lips with a good quality lip liner.  (I like Revlon’s Colorstay lip liner as it wears well and does not need sharpening. In all these photos I started by lining my lips in “Wine”.)  Even though most makeup artists will tell you not to place the line outside the natural line of your lips I’ve noticed that most cosmetic photography uses this technique to make the model’s lips look fuller.  Personally I push the line to the outside edge of my natural lip line. Finish by filling in the lips with the lipstick of choice.  I apply it straight from the tube, but you can use a lipstick brush if you have one you like.

Update April of 2013: Blackberry is getting very hard to find online. Although I can still find it at retail it might be on it’s way out. If you like the color I would buy it now before it’s discontinued!

Update June of 2013: Rimmel’s Bordeaux and Boot’s Fascinate are also getting hard to find and might no longer be available at retail.

Shop The Lipsticks!

Do you ever wear burgundy lipstick?  What do you think of the dark lipstick trend?

Like what you see? Follow me!

BloglovinFacebook TwitterPinterestInstagram

, , , , , , , , ,

63 Responses to Three Decadent Burgundy Lipsticks (From the Drugstore!)

1. TheFashionistachic March 5, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Wow these darker hue definitely becomes you. I don’t know if it’s your hair color or your groomed brow but I truly love these rich colors on you. The last look is actually my least favorite, it kind of washes you out. I am such a cosmetic snob. I don’t care much for drug store makeup, each time I try based on a recommendation I am disappointed. I am so tempted to try the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick. Look so LUSTROUS!
    TheFashionistachic recently posted..Open RelationshipsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 5, 2012 at 9:48 am #

I think the most difficult part of drugstore makeup is finding a color that works. There are great formulations though, and at a much lower price than high-end makeup. I purchase most of my makeup at ULTA so returns are easy. Believe me I’ve tried lots of stuff that goes strait back, but I’ve also gotten some amazing products at the drugstore. One place I do spend money on makeup is with foundation. I’ve found the colors are perhaps not “better” but certainly a better match with the high end makeups.
      I hope you try a tube of Revlon’s lipstick! Let me know if you do and what you think of it.

• A Brit Greek
        March 6, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Oh, wow, I really love seeing you wear deeper red hues – really suits you! I love the look of the first one by Revlon. Bring on vampy reds please!
        I think when buying any kind of red or burgundy lippy, requires you to understand if you’re suited more cold tones or warm tones (related to skin tone/hair/eyes).
        I’m also with you on celbs donning fashion glossies, I so need to see some new faces (models)… and I can’t remember the last time I picked up a magazine that didn’t feature a celeb. There are plenty of gossip mags for them to cover!
        x.o.x.o
        A Brit Greek recently posted..Victoria Beckham Magazine Covers 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

I haven’t seen a model, other than Kate Moss, on the cover of a magazine in years and years and years. Totally wish they would do something new, but I guess that celebrity face sells mags?
          I’ve never been able to tell if I have cool or warm undertones. I think I have both. Generally I just try different things until I find one that works, and some things really don’t work! It seems kind of random, but maybe if I knew what my undertones really were I’d have an easier time.

2. Alexis Grace March 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

All of the colors look great on you!

I am not sure if the burgundy will work on me…. sometimes it makes me look a little sickly (something to do with my olive skin tones….), but the nice thing with drugstore purchases is the price tag makes it easy to experiment with!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Maiyet F/W 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

I don’t look very good on the blue-purple edge of the burgundy spectrum, but usually I just keep trying different colors until I find one I like. It’s kind of fun to experiment, and like you said with these prices why not? Drug store brands usually go on sale too, making it even more affordable.

3. rashmi March 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

All the lipstick colors are pretty and it is great to know that you can find them for less than $10.

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Thank you rashmi. I’m glad you liked the article.

4. Lisa
    March 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

My goodness, Heather, you just look so beautiful. The burgundy in the first pic perfectly sets off your eyes. I also like the Boots sheer color. Thanks for sharing such detailed reviews. I might just have to make a trip to the drugstore. I do love burgundy lips…I think they are a little easier to pull off than a scarlett lip. I have been enjoying Maybelline’s Super Stay 10 Hour Stain Gloss, although it doesn’t last 10 hours and wears to a stain within a few hours, but it is a pretty color.

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Oh I think I tried the Maybelline Super Stay gloss. I thought it was interesting, but in the end it felt kind of weird so I returned it. I think I’m kind of an old-fashioned lipstick kind of girl. Thanks so much for all the compliments too!

5. Sharon March 6, 2012 at 7:06 am #

That first picture had me say, “Well, hot damn” out loud. In other words, you look good Ms. Lady. Beautiful smile in the third picture. For me and my skin tone I am actually more comfortable in a burgundy shade. It is the red shades that make me most uncomfortable and the ones I need to experiment with.
    I would rather use drugstore makeup to experiment with and then find a similar color in a higher priced make-up line after I am positive it works.
    Sharon recently posted..Heel of the Week: Giuseppe Zanotti Bow Peep-Toe PlatformMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I like your idea of experimenting with colors at the drug store level and then investing in higher end makeup when you know the color will work and be a favorite. I never thought of that!

March 6, 2012 at 7:12 am #

How funny! We are both talking lipsticks today. I couldn’t do the photos this closeup though. You look absolutely gorgeous.How did you photograph them. In a dark room with lighting on face? By the way are you sure you have passed 40?
    You are definitely the master lipstick reviewer!
    Sylvia recently posted..Bobbi Brown lipsticks – 6 colours reviewed! What’s your favorite?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Aw thank you Silvia! I liked your lipstick review too. You’re making me want to try some orange/coral ones next.
      These photos were taken in our living room with a special circular ring light that illuminates my whole face. (When my husband gets into something he really gets into it.) There were other flashes involved as well, and lots of makeup, and…photoshop. Yes. The photos have been worked on a bit, otherwise they wouldn’t be so big I promise! The funny thing about photography is it tends to bring out the worst in my face, and the photoshop brings it back to looking more like I do in real life.

• Sylvia
        March 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

You are very lucky to have a husband that likes photography. My husband is not interested at all unfortunately 🙁 Congrats on making it to links-a-la-mode. Finally we are both on the list. I was debating whether I would submit my lipstick post or the one that I did. I guess I made the right choice!
        Sylvia recently posted..Trends and themes for Fall 2012 as seen on the recent showsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

I’m so glad we both made it too! I want to read all the other posts because I like to recommend my favorites on my blog. Of course yours will be on it. I love all your posts.
          And I am lucky that my husband likes to take photos of me. We really have a good time together taking the shots!

7. FASHION TALES
    March 6, 2012 at 11:21 am #

I tend to gravitate toward rouge and pink lip colours. I love that glittery red on you. I’m a fan of mixing colours sometimes, so perhaps I’ll try mixing a bit more of my burgundy into my lippies. I have a couple of burgundy ones and may try that colourburst Revlon above! 🙂
    FASHION TALES recently posted..Easy Decisions: Sueded DaysMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Oooo! Glad you like too. Let me know if you try any and how they work for you.

8. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    March 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

So many pretty colors, I can’t choose one… perhaps the first two are my fave? I love your different facial expressions depending on the lip color. One for every personality! 😉 I use Revlon Colorburst normally, but it sounds like Revlon Super Lustrous stays on longer!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Look :: Mary Kay Makeover!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

As a general rule old-fashioned creme or matte lipsticks last a long time. The Revlon ones I’ve tried have stayed on for quite a few hours. I love how they feel on my lips – nice and creamy – which I don’t get from the ones that are supposed to stay on for 8 hours. I’d rather just reapply! So glad you like the photos too.

9. Wendy
    March 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Unfortunately, those of us not blessed with voluptuous lippers have to steer clear of the dark shades 🙁 How I wished I’d been born with full lips … however, there is in way in heck I’d EVER have them filled. Personally I like the last colour.
    Wendy recently posted..Denim dayMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I wear the lipgloss in the last photo a lot. I piled it on for the photo but it looks good as a kind of stain too.

10. citizen rosebud
    March 7, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Good god you look AMAZING! I am loving your make up reviews, least of which being you pick drugstore brands, which is what I buy. I love the description- and I know I am now craving a bit of burgandy for my mouth.
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Best. Haircut. Ever: Carrie Caluya at the AJF SalonMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I know you’d look amazing in burgundy lipstick. Let me know if you try and like any of my suggestions!

11. Jeannie
    March 7, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

If I could look as good as you with lipstick, I’d wear them in a heart beat! Unfortunately, I don’t wear lipstick…does colored chapstick count?
    Jeannie recently posted..All Business ~My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Sure it counts Jeannie! I’ve always been a “lipstick” girl. It’s definitely my thing, but it’s not for everyone.

12. BUTTERFLYBREEZE March 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Wow I just purchased the Revlon Color Burst. I love it!

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

So glad you like it too Butterfly Breeze. I’m a big fan of drugstore makeup!

13. DressCode:HighFashion
    March 8, 2012 at 5:50 am #

All of them look great on you. The Glittery Burgundy Lipstick is my favourite though. I also LOVE the gloss but we all know that it only looks THAT fabulous on the photo and the “spectacular shine” of gloss only lasts a minute or until your lips touch something.

That 70s/80s feeling of the pictures is great – Studio 54 glamour. Love it!

Hugs, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..From Classic to Glamour: Best of Black S/S 12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

So glad you like the photos! I love doing these lipstick reviews. To tell the truth the gloss doesn’t really run out of shine that fast. Of course one sip of coffee and it’s all over with, but half the fun is putting more on!

14. mary jo
    March 8, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Love your review Heather–you look great in bright saturated color! Especially love the first two on you!

mary jo recently posted..midcentury musingsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Thank you Mary Jo! I’m already dreaming up my next lipstick post – maybe pink?

15. Anna
    March 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

yeap for me as well it’s been ages since I last tried a burgundy lipstick (to be honest I’m not a big fan of lipstick). Lately I’ve been gifted by a friend a cream gloss from Maybelline (the color is 360 Stellar Berry) and I’ll try it out one day.
    I think all shades look good on you, but mostly I liked the look of the No7 one!
    By the way, did you had a haircut??

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Yes, I had my hair cut a couple weeks ago – but it’s so similar to my usual cut I didn’t think to mention it. Lipstick takes a bit of getting used to I think. I wore it a lot in my 20’s, then kind of forgot about it in my 30’s. Now I’m really getting into it again. It makes me feel more polished when I have it on.

16. Jennifer
    March 8, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I had a dark berry/brick red covergirl lipstick that I wore constantly in high school. I like the dark lipstick look although I might only wear the really burgundy shade for an evening out.
    Jennifer recently posted..Links A La Mode for March 8thMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I used to wear a lot of dark lip colors in my 20’s – I seem to remember a sparkly shade from Mac that I loved. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

March 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for giving such a detailed review! tend to not wear such deep colors. My skin is very pail and I feel like the darker colors just accentuates my paleness. Very dramatic though! Di dyou do something new to your hair? Look a bit different.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Love It!! – Spoiled Nail ColorMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

I did get a new haircut! It’s a different hairdresser but I felt like it was so similar to what I normally get I didn’t say anything about it. I guess not! You’re the second person to mention it.
      I’m clinging on to wearing dark colored lipstick for as long as possible. I love that gothic-romantic look, but after this winter I’m a bit pale for it too, even though I think darker colors look best on me. Even so, sometimes it’s just what you get used to. I hope to encourage people to spend a few dollars to try something new. After all, you can get all these lipsticks for under $10. If they’re on sale or you have a cupon even less. So why not?

18. Nadège
    March 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

I LOVE Bordeaux and Blackberry! I swatched it for my blog a while back, too. Something about dark lipsticks that get me in a good mood lol

I found your blog through Links a la Mode. Love it!

• Heather Fonseca March 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

So glad you liked the review. I have a lot of fun doing these – especially shopping for the lipstick!

19. Dana March 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Great post…love how shiny the first one is!

Dana recently posted..Product Crushes: Mad Men EditionMy Profile

20. Lisa
    April 4, 2012 at 7:37 am #

I’ve been meaning to try darker lipsticks but have been scared! I have very fair skin. So with your suggestions, I’ll go seek out some of those colours. Thank you! 🙂

• Heather Fonseca April 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Hi Lisa, I hope the colors work for you. I love wearing dark lipstick but I find it’s more challenging as I get older. I think my favorite of all of these was the Revlon. It’s just a great, wearable, color.

21. Shanna May 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I just came across your blog, I love this post.

I was looking up the Boots lipstick and noticed that Sheer Temptation is the name of the line of lipsticks rather than the color; could you find out what the actual color is? Thanks. 🙂

• Heather Fonseca May 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Hi Shanna. You’re right! I thought the color was Temptation but it’s actually “Fascinate”. Sorry about my confusion.

22. Shanna May 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks for checking! 🙂 I added it to my wish list.

• Heather Fonseca May 22, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

You’re welcome! Thanks for catching my mistake.

23. Rebecca August 14, 2012 at 1:23 am #

I’m kind of amazed that I already own three of the shades mentioned. haha 🙂 I always scan the aisles for lipstick, and I absolutely love the darker lipstick trend. I recently heard that Black Opal lipstick in Black Currant was a dupe for YSL Rouge Pu Couture Belle de Opium.

• Heather Fonseca August 14, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Hi Rebecca. Thanks so much for checking out my site and leaving a comment too. I’m amazed that you own all three shades too! I love darker lipstick but I’m afraid as I get older it gets harder and harder to wear, so enjoy it now. I haven’t tried the lipstick you suggested, but it sounds great.

24. Patricia Wright
    June 19, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Nice review, Revlon is my all time favorite, i have found plenty of shades at http://www.taaz.com and they look beautiful

• Heather Fonseca June 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks Patricia. I’m glad you like the lipstick too.

1. LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP | Independent Fashion Bloggers - March 8, 2012

[…] The Style Confessions: Three Decadent Burgundy Lipsticks (from the drugstore!) […]

2. MY FASHION WISH LIST - March 8, 2012

3. LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP | The Classic Woman - March 8, 2012

4. LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP « Homes and Heels - March 9, 2012

5. Links à la Mode – 8 March 2012 Edition - March 9, 2012

6. Stylish links and the best of 40+Style website and forum - March 9, 2012

7. Links a la Mode: The IFB weekly roundup likes my lipstick post | The Style Confessions™ - March 11, 2012

8. I Heart the Internet…IFB » made-to-travel.com - March 13, 2012

9. LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUND UP: theclassicwoman.me - March 16, 2012

10. URL - April 1, 2012

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More here: thestyleconfessions.com/2012/03/05/three-decadent-burgundy-lipsticks-from-the-drugstore/ […]…

11. Love or hate: burgundy lips « Dip It Black - October 23, 2012

[…] FELLT Studded Hearts Stockholm Streetstyle Blonde Episodes A-rmoire The Style Confessions Sweet Fancy Treat Secrets of a Good Girl Fellt.com Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the […]