Leopard print on a Rainy Day

It doesn’t rain all that often in Los Angeles but when it does it’s usually a downpour. My husband and I took these pictures one rainy afternoon during a brief respite from the storm.

Most people in Los Angeles don’t know what to wear in the rain.  Last week I saw a man wearing a huge black garbage bag over his clothes.  My father once saw someone wearing a clear plastic rain coat over swim trunks and flip-flops.  Although you do see some chic rain outfits for the most part everyone seems sort of surprised that little water drops are falling on them and getting their jeans all wet.

Like most Angelenos looking good on a rainy day has always been something of a challenge for me.  I don’t have the right boots. I don’t really have the right coat.  Yes, this is a trench with a hood. It’s nicer than a garbage bag and it will keep me fairly dry during a little shower but it’s not the real thing either.  I do have a pretty big collection of umbrellas.  The leopard print one I’m wearing in these photos is by far my favorite.  It matches the lining on my trench, a detail I find rather chic. The sweater I bought years and years ago at Macy’s.  The short length should tell you how old it is, but it’s always been so flattering that I’ve held on to it even when I thought it was time to say goodbye.  Now suddenly that cropped length looks good again and I’m so glad I kept it.

It was chilly enough to wear my favorite printed velour gloves.  These are Mary Quant.  I bought them in London in the 1990’s and I still love them just as much as when I first purchased them.  They aren’t very warm, but they do look wonderful don’t they?

• Umbrella – Target
  • Trench coat – Michael Kors
  • Fur scarf – a gift
  • Vinyl skirt – Zara
  • Boots – Enzo
  • Clutch – Nordstrom

What do you wear in the rain?

, , ,

23 Responses to Leopard print on a Rainy Day

March 27, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Definitely hard to figure out what to wear in the rain. I’m cracking up about the garbage bag though! 🙂 LOVE the gloves – first thing I noticed!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..For The Love Of TulipsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 27, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

You must have some great rain gear though living on the east coast. I know it’s rainier there than it is here. But it’s alway hard to look good when it’s raining buckets. I think the most important thing is to be comfortable and dry, though I think the garbage bag was a creative solution, there must be a better way!

2. Pam
    March 27, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I love your pictures!! And the gloves are really cool…I live in deep Central Texas…we just got out of a severe drought..so there is little rain. Other than a great trench and fun umbrella…i really do not plan for it. I have some cute rainboots that I wore once two years ago…maybe someday I will get to wear them again.
    You look great in these fun pictures!
    Pam recently posted..Dressing for Many Hats!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Sounds like you live in an even dryer climate. It does rain here a few times a year, every year, it’s just funny how unprepared the natives are. In that I include myself!

3. Patricia Streeter
    March 27, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

Those pattern gloves add a nice suprise to your outfit. They were completly unexpected. Nice way to stay dry, hope the rest of your day was nice.
    Patricia Streeter recently posted..Where to buy Dansko Marah Shoes?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Thanks Patricia. The rest of the day was pretty nice!

4. Alexis Grace March 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Not only do you look great, but I applaud you for making it outside in the rain. I am always so traumatized!

It was so great to see you today!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Far Far AwayMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

People tend to drive really crazy here when it rains, so I’m not surprised you’re traumatized! And it was wonderful seeing you today. I wish you weren’t moving so far away.

5. Lisa
    March 27, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

You look chic even in the rain. Nice ensemble! I love the umbrella – I am a big fan of pretty patterned umbrellas…..yet one more way for us to show our style, right? How nice that it matches your coat lining.

We get plenty of rain here in GA, so this year I broke down and bought a proper pair of rain boots. They are quitted red with black bottoms. I almost don’t mind when it rains since it means I get to wear my cute boots 🙂 I have seen so many attractive pairs lately…they have come a long way!!

Have a wonderful week!!
    Lisa recently posted..Your Secret Leg Lengthener: The T-StrapMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I just adore a pretty umbrella! Glad you like my look and I think your rain boots sound fabulous.

6. DressCode:HighFashion
    March 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

PERFECT. Just perfect! So chic and somehow parisian.

Even though I live in a city that has about 200 rain days a year (that`s at least how it feels like) I have no special “rain attire” (I guess Brits are the only europeans who made a style out of a neccessity…). Ankle boots, trenchcoat & umbrella do the job.

Best, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..The 10 Coolest Suits in Spring / Summer 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 28, 2012 at 9:26 am #

It’s funny, but I wonder if because we have so little rain here it makes a rainy day a big event that makes me want to have a special outfit for the occasion. When my kids were little I would buy whole rain outfits for them, complete with colorful plastic rain coats and matching umbrellas and boots. Of course when it did rain it was a big deal. We’d go walking in it to splash in puddles because it was such a rarity.
      The brits certainly have made the necessity of rain gear into high fashion. I have a photo of the clear plastic rain coats by Burberry up on my inspiration wall. Now THAT’s being chic in the rain!

7. Bob
    March 28, 2012 at 4:17 am #

Superb Pictures. I like your gloves. The umbrella with Leopard skins also looking great. Animal Skin Vinyl Fabric comes in many unique styles.

• Heather Fonseca March 28, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Thanks Bob. Glad you like the umbrella.

8. Jeannie
    March 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Oh Heather!
    You look STUNNING ! Gorgeous photos!
    Never thought a trench coat and an umbrella could be so sexy! 🙂

Jeannie
    Jeannie recently posted..Honey sweet ~My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 29, 2012 at 9:21 am #

One of my fashion goals is to one day own an actual Burberry Trench. I love them so! I’m so glad you like my outfit.

9. citizen rosebud
    March 29, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Woman, you are on fire! The whole outfit is perfection to me- practical and stylish with touches of personality. LOVE Mary Quant and those gloves, amaze! Delight! You must
    have turned plenty of soggy heads that rare and rainy L.A. day!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..For the Dead: Adrienne Rich (1929-2012)My Profile

10. Juliette Ayot March 31, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Very much liked the trench coat. During rains I usually wear my long coat that never allows me get drenched. Wondering to get this leopard print umbrella next season. Looks very attractive to me.
    Juliette Ayot recently posted..Achat telemetre laserMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 31, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Hi Juliette and thanks for stoping by. I purchased the umbrella at Target, which I’m pretty sure sells their products on line as well. I’m not sure if they ship to Europe, but I know that they’re still selling that umbrella.

11. Elise Walsh
    March 31, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

You are wrong, I adore the entire outfit. But that umbrella really makes it pop. I live in Florida and all it does do is rain. I’d be happy to switch out my black mess of a rain coat for a stylin new umbrella.
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Where to buy Dansko Marah Shoes?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 1, 2012 at 11:06 am #

There are lots of fun umbrellas at all prices, so I’m sure you can find a cute one. I’d love to have a see-through plastic one…

1. Leopard print on a Rainy Day - Pinteresting Apparel :: Pinteresting Apparel - April 30, 2012

[…] more here: Leopard print on a Rainy Day Categories : Outfits Tags: check-failed, else-load, leopard umbrella, loading, outfit posts, […]