Purple and Navy

I wore this outfit to a party a few weeks ago and then recreated it for the photo shoot you see here.  I’m posing in a local alley in front of graffiti for real this time.

I thing the strapless navy dress is pretty fabulous with its bit of lace trim at the bottom. It’s simple but unusual.  Still, if it had cost more than $10 I would probably never have gotten it.  When I’m shopping I’ll look at the price tag and ask myself, “Is this (insert price here) good?”. If the answer is “yes” then I’ll buy it, but if the answer is “no” I wont.  Some things are worth their full retail price because I know I’ll wear them over and over again, but many things are just too crazy to buy unless they’re on sale or second-hand. This whole outfit cost less than $50 and even though I like the pieces, I would never have gotten any of them had they not been a bargain. When I saw the dress I considered it carefully, thought about the shortness of the skirt, the strapless top, and the general inappropriateness style, and then I thought to myself “Is it $10 good?”

Heck yeah.

• Tights – Nordstoms on sale
  • Shoes – Nine West on sale
  • Dress – Thrifted from The Buffalo Exchange
  • Purse – Hobo, on sale at Nordstroms
  • Watch – on sale at Gilt.com

So, the skirt is crazy short and the tights are crazy bright, but I love the way the colors compliment each other. The purple keeps the navy from looking too boring, and the navy keeps the outfit from looking too wild.

What do you think of this color combination? Have you been wearing any purple recently? Ever buy anything just because it’s fun and cheap?

, , , ,

20 Responses to Purple and Navy

1. Alexis Grace May 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Well I think it is one sexy look!!!!! Really enjoy the colors!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Chanel Resort 2013 Collection: Take Me To VersaillesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

So glad you like the look and the colors Alexis.

2. Lisa
    May 15, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

This outfit is great! I love how you think carefully about your riskier fashion choices. By economizing on the trendier pieces, you get to experiment and have fun with your looks. With clothing (not so much with accessories), I have always tended to buy investment pieces and have not experimented too much with cheaper alternatives. You are inspiring me though….I think I need to let loose a little and have more fun with it.

Love the grafitti backdrop – perfect to set your outfit off!!

• Heather Fonseca May 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I think I’ve always been a little risky with fashion, but then I need to force myself to buy good quality classic pieces for more money! Much of my closet was purchased inexpensively. I do find it’s hard sometimes to know if I’ll love something until I get it in my closet. Some things, like jeans, are easy, but everything else…

3. FASHION TALES
    May 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

I think you give this dress more of a higher value by how you wear/style it! It looks excellent with the purple tights & shoes! I love the stunning first photo.
    Yes, I’ve bought a few fun items simply because of the bargain price tag.

I love the artful background. 🙂 Have a lovely week.

• Heather Fonseca May 16, 2012 at 11:45 am #

I’m so glad you like the look and the photos.

4. mary jo
    May 16, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Navy and purple together are so pretty! Love the little clutch with the dress!

mary jo recently posted..art inspired: markus linnenbrink, skull5My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 16, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Thanks Mary Jo. I love that little clutch. It only holds credit cards, a phone and a lipstick, but it’s perfect for going out in the evening.

5. Sharon May 16, 2012 at 8:21 am #

You look hott! I love the color combo. I love those shoes. I am impressed by the over all price of the entire outfit. I love the background. It really makes this whole shoot POP! I love how you find such awesome places to do photo shoots.
    Sharon recently posted..A Letter to My Nineteen Years Old SelfMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 16, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I’m very glad you like my look and the wild shoes! As for the places, I live in a fairly trendy area so there’s a lot of graffiti art around.

6. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    May 16, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

You never cease to amaze me with your creative outfits, Heather. This is such a surprising but beautiful color combo! And I love those tights!!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Lunch :: Sherman Oaks Shopping & ‘ShiMy Profile

May 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Hmmm – that’s an interesting color combination Wouldn’t think to put those 2 together. I’ll have to see if I can come up with something.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photography For Kids – 2 Weekend Workshops Coming Up!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Hi Stacey! Let me know if you find some purple and blue that you like. It’s a fun color combination.

8. DressCode:HighFashion
    May 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Fantastic look! I need to wear this colour-comination too!

Love, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Runway Details: Roberto Cavalli S/S 12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Jen you totally inspired me here. I’ve been wearing more purple because of you!

9. citizen rosebud
    May 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

These aren’t normally my “go to” colors but I absolutely love this combo on you! What a great evening mix too- you stand out in the sea of LBD’s but look city chic and hot hot hot.
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Outfit Post: Suburban JungleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Thank you Bella! Honestly they aren’t my “go to” colors, I’m really more into black, but I like the change for sure. And purple is fun.

May 25, 2012 at 1:44 am #

I love the colour combination, you can definitely pull it off as well as the skirt length, especially with the tights. x
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Pull Your Socks Up And Don’t Let Your Outfit DownMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Thank you Arash! My husband likes short skirts on me too, makes me happy.