Happiness, Passion, and Palm Springs

“What is your passion?”

The question caught me totally by surprise.  I was discussing my work with a client, and although I greatly enjoy what I do, and feel incredibly fortunate to have the talent and skills to make a living as a freelance designer, my work is not my only passion.  I enjoy and take pride in the designs I create. Certainly having such a creative, fun, job makes me happy.

So I didn’t have the perfect answer at the tip of my tongue.  In fact I think I just stared and said something that sounded a bit like “uummmm…well…I love fashion…”

But it bothered me.  Why couldn’t I answer the question, even to myself? I went home and thought about it long and hard.  After some soul-searching I realized that I couldn’t put a finger on one overriding important thing in my life simply because I am passionate about so many things. I am passionate about my husband and my children. I love my family and my friends. I take joy in my daily activities and work passionately on my designs. This blog gets a lot of passion too.  Combining clothes and accessories, taking photos with my husband, watching him change them into artwork on Photoshop, posting and writing about them all make me incredibly happy.

I am passionate about life and I am passionate about being happy in this life.  My goal is to find joy every day and to spread that joy as often as possible.

Happiness is a gift. I know and have known too many angry, sad, miserable people. The truth is that joy comes from within.  Your work, your family and your friends can all add to your happiness but they cannot create it.

Life is not that long so make it as good, as delightful, as rich in experience, and as joyful as you possibly can.

What does this dress have to do with happiness and passion?  Nothing really, but wearing this bright green color and flashing the fabulous cut-out back make me smile. The background in these photos makes me happy as well.  Why?  I’m in Palm Springs! My husband and I spend a delightful weekend in the desert last week and I have lots of photos to prove it. These are just a taste.  More coming soon

• Dress – Vintage cotton sun dress purchased from Shop the Citizen
  • Sandals – Purchased at “Off Broadway” some years ago
  • Hat – San Diego Hat co.

So, what’s your passion?

, ,

29 Responses to Happiness, Passion, and Palm Springs

1. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    May 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Such an inspiring post and beautiful dress! Your bod looks amazing!!

• Heather Fonseca May 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Thanks Stephanie. Glad you like the dress. The bod is Weight Watchers. Couldn’t have done it without them.

2. anne the SpyGirl
    May 21, 2012 at 5:44 am #

Isn’t it crazy how the simplest question can be so daunting?

“What is your passion?”
    The perfect question to ponder on the Monday commute!

Glad you had the opportunity to escape with Hugo… Looking forward to the photos!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..SpyGirl on IFB’s Links à la ModeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 22, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Hi Anne, so glad I gave you something to think about during your commute. The new photos will be coming soon, probably later this week. And the first set is really good….

3. Alexis Grace May 21, 2012 at 8:29 am #

This dress is truly the perfect sun dress! And I understand what you mean, sometimes it is hard to put your finger on one passion source!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Coco Rocha For Target Shows Us How To ModelMy Profile

May 22, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Loving that dress and that green. The same green I wore recently :) Don’t be surprised that you can’t answer the question what your passion is. It is one of the most difficult questions in the world. I decided that one of my passions is fashion and living a fulfilled life in older age, which is why I decided to start my blog. You answered the question beautifully and I must remember it more. That happiness comes from within is so true…. Gorgeous photographs too!
    Sylvia recently posted..Wearing the Spring 2012 trends: floral pantsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 22, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Thank you Sylvia! It’s reassuring to know I’m not the only one who has difficulty coming up with one really important “passion” in life. I’m totally obsession over green and blue these days – maybe color will become my passion too!

May 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Glad you guys are able to get away. Love the green dress – so fun!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photography For Kids – 2 Weekend Workshops Coming Up!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks Stacey. It’s one of my warm weather favorites.

6. Jeannie
    May 23, 2012 at 5:35 am #

What gorgeous photos!
    You look so lovely in green sun dress! Perfect sandals, too!
    My passion? My family!
    Jeannie recently posted..Inspirations & AwardsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Hi Jeannie. So glad you like the photos, and my family is definitely one of my passions too!

7. thefashionistachic May 23, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Are there any pictures of your husband on your blog? What type of camera does he use?

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 8:49 am #

No, my husband is pretty shy. He likes being on the other side of the camera. He uses a DSLR Nikon Rebel.

8. Rawkul
    May 23, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Love the green and that hat! And I love the way you are posing, cool photos with the feet first…

My passions run deep in more than one direction. :-)
    Rawkul recently posted..Grey and Calamine Lotion Maxi BusinessMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Thank you so much and I’m glad you like the photos. The weird feet angle comes from a wide angle lens my husband uses. It is cool but sometimes I’m a bit surprised by what happens.

9. mary jo
    May 23, 2012 at 9:00 am #

I love that kelly green vintage dress! I’d really like to find some vintage sun dresses for summer, they take me right back to high school (in a good way). Hope you had fun in Palm Springs and I like your musings on happiness. It’s so true, it has to come from within and not other people.

mary jo recently posted..art inspired: yayoi kusama infinity mirrored room – filled with the brilliance of lifeMy Profile

10. Jamillah May 23, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Your work, your family and your friends can all add to your happiness but they cannot create it.- TRUTH.

That green is great on you, Heather. Another stunning outfit post.
    Jamillah recently posted..Smile File-More or LessMy Profile

11. citizen rosebud
    May 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Firstly, that dress looks so good on you!

Secondly: passion is a gift. I don’t think many people are plugged into theirs and the fact that you have so much is truly a wonderful things.
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Outfit Post: Suburban JungleMy Profile

12. A Brit Greek
    May 24, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Holy C*** I didn’t recognise you in the first pic! I LOVE that shot and am pinning it!
    You look amazing Heather. As for the post, now you’ve got me thinking too. It’s so important to just have passion in day to day life generally… and happiness of course!

x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek recently posted..Happy Feet: Mariettas Fantasy Sandal Collection 2012My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

So glad you like the photo! It always makes me happy when my friends pin me. Still need to get a pinerest account but it seems like there just isn’t enough time in the day, so I’m waiting.

13. jenny May 25, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Wow nice spring outfit design !that outfit looks so good on you!

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks for the nice compliment Jenny and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment too.

May 25, 2012 at 2:03 am #

Awesome post, first of all I’ll comment on the look. Again, lovely photography… I love the dress, the shoes, the complimenting white nail polish, really relaxed and chic.

In terms of what my passion is, I have a few; my main passion is self improvement and helping others improve themselves. It just so happens that the vessel I use to do that is clothes and one’s personal style. I also am a bit of a geek have a real passion for all technology. Which, if you follow me on twitter you will see on my timeline I regularly talk about it along with fashion etc.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Pull Your Socks Up And Don’t Let Your Outfit DownMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

You would have done much better in my meeting than I did then! It’s good to know one’s passions, and I think yours are very interesting.

15. Amy Turner May 27, 2012 at 4:06 am #

Simply gorgeous! You look cool and very pleasing to the eye this summer. My passion in life? My family, faith and my career, in that order.
    Amy Turner recently posted..United MileagePlus Club Card Review: $395 Worth It?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 28, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Hi Amy. I’m so glad you like the outfit, and I like your passions too!

16. Jessica April 21, 2013 at 5:41 am #

OMG this looks AMAZING! I was trying for a fast day, but these pics are making me jelous……..
    Jessica recently posted..Coachella Music Festival 2013My Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 22, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thanks Jessica. I love Palm Springs. Cant’ wait to go back.