The Summer Blues

Some Summer Trends by Stella McCartney, J Brand, and Zoe Karssen

On of my favorite summer fashion trends is inspired by large expanses of blue sky and the shimmering blue of the sea. Designers have tapped into the desire for this cool shade by creating this season’s collections around the great outdoors and in particular the color blue. With many varieties of shades it is easy to mix and match the clothes within this trend.

Start with a Pretty Dress

Stella McCartney has jumped on the cool, watery trend and released several items in different shades of blue. Her Hawaiian Dress in “Chambray Blue” is a fresh take on a the classic denim dress. The tribal print continues to be a hot trend this season and using one color in different shades of blue infuses the dress with the mellow feeling of seaside vacations, warm weather and long languid days. The simple, structured fit hangs loosely, allowing the wearer to stay comfortable on warm summer days. The dress is hemmed midway between the hip and the thigh with flattering three-quarter length sleeves.

Try on a pair of Pale Blue Cargo Jeans

Some people prefer to cover up a bit more in the summer and so to stay comfortable in the heat choose to layer loose t-shirts, lightweight fabrics and light colors . J Brand’s Houlihan Skinny Jean in Vintage Powder Blue is almost, but not quite, white. The light-weight material will keep the wearer from becoming too hot even though they’re wearing skinny cargo jeans. The material and cut are casual but luxurious, with great stretch, a slim-fit to the ankle with a flattering mid-rise.

Add a Casual Bright Blue Tunic T-shirt

To complement the skinny jeans the “You Me Oui” T-Shirt in Dazzling Blue by Zoe Karssen is a great choice. The Powder Blue colour of the jeans and the dazzling blue of the t-shirt are soft and bright respectively, with the shade of love-hearts on the t-shirt reflecting the color of the J Brand skinnies. Of course, there is such a thing as too much blue, but these shades are both modest and subtle.  They’re very pretty together.

A big “thank you” to Donna Ida for supporting The Style Confessions with this sponsored post.  I hope you like the cool blue summer trend as much as I do. Will you be wearing shades of blue this summer?

, ,

12 Responses to The Summer Blues

1. donyel May 22, 2012 at 10:52 am #

I love the Zoe Karssen shirt! It really seems like the perfect summer t-shirt!

xx
    Donyel

with love from http://www.mademoisellemeese.com
    donyel recently posted..Chocolate + Marshmallow BrowniesMy Profile

May 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

As far as blue goes I usually go for navy but maybe I’ll venture out a bit more this summer :)
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photography For Kids – 2 Weekend Workshops Coming Up!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I have a lot of navy, but I’m liking the softer blues as well. I’ll see if I can’t get some in my wardrobe as well.

3. Kathy Meyer May 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks for sharing some of the fashion clothings that are perfect to wear. Being trends in clothing can give great impact to your daily life and into your personality. You will be able to achieve confidence and it can totally change your appearance.
    Kathy Meyer recently posted..Maxiderm Patch ReviewMy Profile

4. Alexis Grace May 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I am a big blue fan…. summer, winter, spring, fall or any time!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Coco Rocha For Target Shows Us How To ModelMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

I gravitate toward blue as well, but usually blue-greens. Still, I really like this powdery blue trend. It’s so pretty!

5. mary jo
    May 23, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I like the pieces you put together. I’ve been dipping into the mint world and need to round out my summer wardrobe with some other colors. Kinda leaning toward adding some tropical prints too, but some staples like white and bue would be good too :)
    Hope you are having a great week Heather! Let’s get together soon!

xo mary jo
    mary jo recently posted..art inspired: yayoi kusama infinity mirrored room – filled with the brilliance of lifeMy Profile

6. FASHION TALES
    May 23, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Anything aquatic infused I am a fan of, most recently in a few prints. Blue is also one of my favourite hues (other than yellow) Love Donna Ida! :)
    FASHION TALES recently posted..Vanity + Vintage #15: Sail Away, Sail AwayMy Profile

7. Amy Turner May 24, 2012 at 4:14 am #

I love the Hawaiian Dress in “Chambray Blue,” the print is soft to the eyes and looks cool. I thought lilac is my favorite but I also love the blue hues.
    Amy Turner recently posted..Chase Ink Review: Points Rewards for BusinessMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks Amy. I like anything in pale blue and I’m fond of lilac too.