Vintage Cars at Night

My husband and I arrived in Palm Springs on a Friday afternoon.  The trip was intended to be a relaxing get-away so I decided to take a little nap. It was late afternoon by the time I woke up, and after a quick swim I dressed for the evening and we headed downtown for dinner.

Palm Springs is a small, but lovely, desert city.  The downtown has been updated over the years and now feels a bit like Disneyland in places. Crowds of people swarm the more popular karaoke bars and outdoor restaurants, but as soon as you leave the main drag the city is still and quiet. On our way back to the hotel we passed this vintage car lot and I had to stop and look. As there was no one around my husband got out the camera and the lights and we set up an impromptu photo shoot.

In the background is one of the most expensive cars on the lot. This beautiful red Cadillac with its huge chrome rocket-shaped grill can be yours for $100,000.

Looking at these photos reminds me that good design never dies.  These cars are just as fabulous now as when they were new. Yes, they’ve been fixed up and painted, but the shapes, lines, and details of these vintage cars and trucks stand the test of time. Personally I’d love to drive around town in the chic little black coupe pictured below.

I’m wearing a Veronica M black strapless maxi dress and little blue clutch from the same store. The earrings and bracelet were both purchased on Gilt.com. The sandals are by Roberto Del Calo.

See any cars you like? Do you agree that great design is eternal?

, ,

12 Responses to Vintage Cars at Night

1. A Brit Greek
    May 26, 2012 at 9:42 am #

You are totally smoking! I LOVE this dress on you, and everytime i’m over at Bella’s blog, I’m staring at that little sponsors image of you! Loving you in front of the green truck!
    Have a great weekend!

x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek recently posted..A Tally of Two Cities Illustrated: Je L’aime!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks so much! The green truck photo is my favorite.

2. Alexis Grace May 26, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Look at what rebels you and Hugo are! Shooting on this lot at night! 🙂

I would love a vintage car- not necessarily something overly flashy, but something with a bit of style!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Goodbye AtlantaMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

I have a thing for 1970’s era mercedes sedans. Go figure. I did feel sort of rebellious when I went past the chain, but there were other people doing it too so I guess it was OK.

May 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

All these cars look magnificent and your dress too!
    Sylvia recently posted..Finalist for best Singapore fashion blogMy Profile

4. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    May 27, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Such a great dress on you, Heather — and a fabulously interesting place for a photoshoot! I’ve never been to Palm Springs, but it’s definitely on my list.
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Lessons :: On finding my place in the blogosphere (if there’s a spot left)My Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 28, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Palm Springs is only a two hour drive from L.A. If I were younger I would probably stay at the “Ace”. You must go and check it out. The desert is beautiful.

June 2, 2012 at 6:47 am #

I love the $100,000 car, ha ha expensive taste right… when it comes to American cars I love the old Ford Mustang. If I had a load of money I’d buy one for my dad as that’s one of his favourite cars.

I agree great design is eternal applies to everything from technology to clothes to cars. I’m reading the Steve Jobs biography at the moment and that is one thing that was really key to the whole Apple philosophy. Even the parts that you couldn’t see had to be designed perfectly, down to the patterns on the circuit board. As consumers we’d never see it, but to him it was important as it was the whole ethos behind the brand.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Enter ‘The Fashion-Misters’My Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 2, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

That’s really interesting about Steve Jobs. As an Apple lover I hate working on any other kind of computer or electronic device. Apple just works so well!
      As for the car I think your dad and I have similar taste. I’ve always loved those old Mustangs. But I could kind of see tooling around in that huge cadi too!

6. Sharon June 2, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Were we really suppose to notice the cars with that smoking hot chick in front of them? HAHA! Seriously, I love the entire look. Like I want that dress and those shoes!
    Sharon recently posted..Friday’s Hot List: At the BeachMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Thanks Sharon. I thought you’d like the shoes. They’re actually pretty expensive, made in Italy, sandals, but I got them on deep sale. Love that.

7. Trinity November 23, 2015 at 2:24 am #

It seems like 60’s were the best years for the world of autos.