Summer Style Classic: White and Black

Wearing crisp, lightweight white garments in the heat of the summer just feels right. It looks great too, which is why white is a summer fashion classic. Recently I’ve been pairing white with touches of black, but I didn’t come up with the idea on my own. I have my fellow personal style bloggers to thank for the inspiration.

I love looking at fashion blogs and currently have around forty on my reading list. I like flipping through magazines too, but I find personal style posts more immediate. When I saw this post (The white shirt! The cute skirt! THE SHOES!) on one of my favorite websites I was filled with the desire to find a similar outfit for my body and taste.  I hit a few thrift stores with one idea in mind: find a nice white cotton blouse and a flippy white skirt. The fashion stars must have aligned in my favor because it didn’t take long to find this beautiful, sheer, cotton shirt or the chevron stripe cotton damask skirt. The shoes, clutch, and glasses were already in my closet, and a quick trip to Nordstrom for a pretty, skinny belt was all it took to put the pieces together. I’ve been wearing some version of this outfit every week since.

I realize my white and black outfit looks nothing like the one that influenced me, but that’s the wonderful thing about personal style. Get inspired, make it your own and feel fabulous.

Are you wondering where I am and why there’s a huge rock over my head?  Levitated Mass, also known of as “The Rock” is permanently on exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The story of how it got there is pretty amazing. It took some 40 years to go from initial inspiration to finished installation. I’m so glad fashion is faster.

Wearing:

• White Blouse – Club Monaco
  • Earrings – Forever 21
  • White Skirt – New York and Company
  • Tiny Bow Belt – Another Line (Buy it here)
  • Shoes – Gentle Souls by Kenneth Cole
  • Clutch – Halogen (See it here)
  • Sunglasses – Fendi

Are you wearing white this summer?

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Summer Style Classic: White and Black

1. Anna
    July 29, 2012 at 11:00 am #

white is my summer staple too! I already own 3 white dresses and restrained myself from not buying more!!
    And as always beautiful pictures and settings Heather! I like the fact that in many of your posts you feature art exhibits!
    Well done to you and your husband!
    Anna recently posted..The Summer DiariesMy Profile

2. DressCode:HighFashion
    July 29, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Gosh I love the look! So classic + a fab match with the scenery.

Hope you`re having a nice weekend.

Hugs, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Roberto Cavalli F/W 12/13 Runway Details & Make-UpMy Profile

3. Donna
    July 29, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

I love black and white. It seems like every time I wear a white shirt, though, I spill coffee on it. But I continue to buy lots of black and white. In fact, if I hadn’t lived in California, I doubt I’d own many clothes in colors other than black, white, and purple.
    I absolutely love your pictures! The outfit is classic, the shoes are to die for, and the color tone of the photos makes them look just as much like artwork as the setting.

Donna
    Donna recently posted..Traveling in styleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 30, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Aw thanks Donna! You’re so sweet. Honestly, I usually get pasta sauce on my white clothes. They’re like magnets for spills.

4. Oh to Be a Muse
    July 30, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Totally agree with you, Heather. Personal style from bloggers is more inspiring than models in mags. I love this location for these photos. You look beautiful and the lighting is amazing.
    Oh to Be a Muse recently posted..A Look Revisited: Outfits from 2010My Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Thank you so much! My husband has been taking the most gorgeous photos recently. I’m glad you like them.

5. Mary Jo
    July 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Heather you look so pretty in these shots, wow! I love white and wear mostly white with a color top or all white–white tee and white shorts is pretty much the uniform lately. It’s so nice to enjoy the summer months while they’re here!

Mary Jo recently posted..skinny loveMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Thanks so much Mary Jo. I’m glad I’m not the only one enjoying white garments this summer. Like you I’m enjoying the warm, slow summer months as well. My kids go back to school too soon and then it’ll be business as usual.

July 30, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

I actually wore a white maxi skirt this weekend. I love it! it’s so flowy. I got it at Old Navy. I don’t like to wear to much all white on top because with my skin tone I would look invisible! :)
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Chip Chat: Deep River NY Spicy Dill Pickle ChipsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Oh, just wear some red lipstick Stacey! I’m sure you don’t look invisible at all. Honestly though I didn’t wear all white for a while because I thought it made me look fat, but I don’t care so much anymore. I would love to see your new maxi skirt!

7. Steve Hippel
    July 31, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Hi Heather.
    I was just reading through the comments and saw your comment about pasta sauce and white cloths. I had to laugh to myself because my wife often asks me if my T-shirt enjoyed dinner :)
    Steve Hippel recently posted..Is Commentluv Doing More Harm Than GoodMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 2, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Lol! Sometimes my husband asks me the same thing Steve. I usually avoid spaghetti for that reason.

8. Morganvsmorgan
    July 31, 2012 at 5:48 am #

I like how it ends up looking a bit like a dress, and i definitely appreciate that you didnt copy the outfit but rather made it all your own :)
    Morganvsmorgan recently posted..Not a Winter PersonMy Profile

9. Sharon August 1, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Very simple yet, stylish. That is exactly why I like keeping black and white pieces in my closet. Your photos are lovely.
    Sharon recently posted..Hanging out in my Nine West “Fanny” WedgesMy Profile

10. citizen rosebud
    August 5, 2012 at 6:21 am #

You look stunning- great pics and great post!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..August ShineMy Profile