Fun on a Boogie Board

Have you ever gone boogieboarding? It’s enormously fun, which is why I’m grinning like crazy in the photo above.  I probably only caught three or four waves my last time out, but when I did get right on top of the wave and it shot me to the shore I screamed with delight. So did my kids and everyone else who had a boogie board that day.

Boogie-boarding, or bodyboarding as it’s officially known, is a form of surf riding, but it’s not nearly as difficult as real surfing. (I tried once. It was really hard.) There’s an intuitive aspect to spotting the right wave and maneuvering yourself into the correct position for the wave to grab the board, but other than that it’s pretty easy. Mostly, you just need the right kind of waves and a bodyboard. When you see a nice big wave point your board toward the shore, jump on top of it and kick like mad. If you’re lucky the wave will scoop you up and you’ll shoot like a rocket to the sand. WikiHow offers these seven step by step instructions that will give you a good idea how to bodyboard. I’ve never worn flippers or a wet suit as they recommend in the video nor have I done any of the tricks, but they do look like fun. Boogie-boarding has always been a casual beach activity for me.

Even though I don’t boogie-board as a serious sport I still need the right gear. A  good quality board helps to make the activity fun and easy, and a snugly fitting, sport-style swim suit that allows for freedom of movement is important as well. The bikini I’m wearing in these photos has a racer back which makes it easy to paddle. Whatever you choose to wear make sure it won’t fall off in the water.

The Bikini and the Board

Waiting for a Wave

Catch a Wave!

Wearing:

• Bikini top by Point Conception
  • Bikini bottom by Vitamin A
  • Boogie Board by Wave Rebel

Have you ever gone boogie boarding?  Does it look like something you’d do?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Fun on a Boogie Board

1. Shanti August 16, 2012 at 8:38 am #

Awesome action shots, love it!! I admire your swimsuit posts, such an inspiration!

2. Alexis Grace August 16, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Growing up I was a boogie boarding fanatic. We would spend hours in the ocean during our summers in FL (I think my mother appreciated that it wore us out!).

As an adult I try to surf more, although it has been a VERY long time since I have had the opportunity… and something tells me I am going to have to wait until next summer to do it again!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Tribal StyleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

It will probably be a few years before you start boogie boarding again it’s true, but then you’ll be doing it a lot again! That’s one of the wonderful thing about having kids. You get to revisit the things you loved as a child.

3. Jeannie
    August 16, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Heather,
    These photos should be in a magazine. Really love the last one!
    Jeannie recently posted..colors of shadow, light & lifeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 18, 2012 at 11:01 am #

Thanks Jeannie. I feel like a very glamorous boogie-boarder in that last photo. Glad you like it.

August 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Looks like you had a great time. I did it years ago when I had a summer share on the Jersey Shore. I hated the beach but loved the boogie boarding!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..6 WeeksMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 18, 2012 at 11:01 am #

It was a lot of fun. When your girls are older you’ll probably have to take them. Kids can be very insistent.

5. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    August 19, 2012 at 5:49 am #

You look SO cute and pretty! Love these shots! I’m not much of a boogie boarder myself, but perhaps I should try before summer’s over!?
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Look :: Disney FailMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 19, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

If you haven’t been boogie boarding and you have some friends to go with you do so! It’s super fun.