Boyfriend Jeans – I love you!

I cannot say I was instantly smitten by the boyfriend jeans craze. It seemed like the slightly roomy, cropped, cuffed, low-rise jeans with some distressing around the knees and hips would look incredibly frumpy on my middle-aged frame. This, I thought, is not for me. Then I noticed that women were dressing up their distressed jeans with pretty, feminine blouses and stiletto heels and the look started to grow on me.

Disclosure: There are a couple of affiliate links sprinkled throughout this post. If you click on them to look at the jeans I might receive a small commission. Thank you for your support.

It’s rather embarrassing, but even though I spend hours researching new fashion trends for work, I am not an “early adopter”. It takes a while for me to accept a new style. In fact skinny jeans were around for a good ten years before I would even try a pair on.

Boyfriend jeans have other issues for me as well. For years I had difficulty finding jeans that were simultaneously flattering, chic and comfortable. Finally I discovered high-end denim brands like J-Brand and Not Your Daughters Jeans. They look amazing but unfortunately run between $100 and $200 a pair. I cringe every time I spend that kind of money on a garment I feel should be utilitarian, and do it only because I know I’ll wear the things constantly. Now take that mindset and throw it over a pair of jeans that are already almost in need of patching. No, it’s just not something I can do easily. So even though I tried on a few pairs of high-end boyfriend jeans that looked great I just couldn’t bring myself to buy them.

So what happened?

Well, I tried to make my regular jeans look like boyfriend jeans. (You can see my fashion disaster here.) It was a “total fail” as my daughter would say. Then I found these 7 for all Mankind Josefina skinny boyfriend jeans and fell in love. (That’s an affiliate link by the way.) They’re perfect.  They’re really, really comfortable. They’re chic. They even kind of make me look cool, or as cool as a middle-aged mom can look.

So I went out with my husband to celebrate my cool new jeans. Of course I had to dress them up with heels and a ruffly black chiffon blouse. And what trendy denim outfit would be complete without an impractical clutch bag and an arm full of bracelets? I even layered my necklaces.

Yes, those are rubber bangles I’m holding the in the photo above. They’re just like the ones Madonna wore on the cover of her very first album, Madonna, in 1986. They’re baaaaacccck. And I want some. No, I didn’t buy any, but only because I didn’t have cash on hand. Next time.

Look right…

Look left…

…and look at the camera.

Wearing:

• Jeans – 7 for all Mankind Josefina Skinny Boyfriend Jeans. Here they are in a slightly darker rinse. (That’s an affiliate link too.)
  • Blouse – White House Black Market
  • Pumps – Nine West
  • Belt – Of unknown origin. It’s been in my closet so long I kind of wonder if it didn’t just grow there.
  • Clutch – Nordstroms
  • Leather cuff – From a store on Melrose Avenue
  • Watch – Wet Seal
  • Necklaces – My grandmothers

What do you think of boyfriend jeans? Do you wear them? If so do you dress them up or just wear them casually?

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Boyfriend Jeans – I love you!

1. Oh to Be a Muse
    September 14, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I’m feeling the Madonna vibe and these 7 for All Mankind b/f jeans as well. I just have to find a less expensive alternative.
    Oh to Be a Muse recently posted..Featured Fashionistas: Erica & DavieMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 14, 2012 at 10:38 am #

I agree it’s just too crazy to spend so much money on jeans, but I honestly believe the cut and quality are worth it. But if you have a good body for jeans you might not need to super expensive kind. My body just rejects regular jeans. Don’t know what it is.

2. Alexis Grace September 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Nothing frumpy about these BF jeans!

I bought my first pair back in March and loved wearing them all summer. I didn’t buy the actual “BF” cut jeans, as the effect was strange on me, instead I bought a pair distressed skinny jeans a few sizes larger than what I typically wear. The result was exactly what I wanted!

Glad you were able to make the trend your own!!!!!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Calvin Klein S/S 2013 CollectionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Very cool Alexis! I’m glad you found a pair that work.

3. Shanti September 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

great look, love the jeans and your grandmother’s necklaces! I have a pair of Red Engine boyfriend jeans and have worn them a ton.

• Heather Fonseca September 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

These jeans have already become daily favorites. I just wear them with a t-shirt for everyday though. I’ve never tried the Red Engine brand.

4. Playing With Scarves September 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Hi Heather !

This jeans Looks perfect on you. I totally hear you. It took me decades (absolutely true) before wearing jeans!!! A few years ago I became jeans addict (Levis / Slim fit). I wear them with high heels – always – and most of the time I have a feminine top (white blouse, scarf) with few fancy necklaces. A jean can definitely be elegant and feminine as long as your find the appropriate cut for your body and you pair it with feminine accessories such as heels. Love your bracelets too !
    Have a great weekend :-)
    Anne

• Heather Fonseca September 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Thank you Anne! Yes, for me it was decades before jeans too. I think the fit of jeans overall have really improved since the designers started putting lycra into the denim.

5. Kiki September 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

You look fantastic in those. Very cool, very rock chick.
    Kiki recently posted..Hero Products… SeptemberMy Profile

6. Mary Jo
    September 14, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Such a cute look Heather. I almost threw mine out until I started cuffing them and wearing them with platforms, now I like them again. Hope you have a great weekend!

Mary Jo recently posted..love is in the hair!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks Mary Jo! I’m looking forward to wearing mine with platforms too.

7. Maria
    September 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

I’m also loving the boyfriend jeans trend. These look great on you!

Maria

8. Alison
    September 16, 2012 at 4:57 am #

I really like those on you. Like you I found the trend frumpy until I found the right pair. Now I wear them all the time. And I too want some black jelly bracelets, even though I wore them in the ’80s!
    Alison recently posted..My Fantasy Fashion ClosetMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 16, 2012 at 10:40 am #

I’ve seen your boyfriend jeans on your blog Alison and they look fabulous on you! You’re such an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.

9. Sharon September 16, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Those rubber bracelets are back in style? Giggles. I had them in every color when I was younger. I think there is nothing wrong with spending $$$ on clothing. If a person takes care of their things it will last for years in the closet. Plus, when you figure some of the silly things people buy like cigarettes . . . those add up . . . my expensive taste in clothes is so much a better choice.
    I like the idea of rolling up jeans and wearing them with heels too. Anyway, cute look.
    Sharon recently posted..Nine West’s Channel 9 and my Shoe ConfessionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 16, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Well if you look at it that way spending money one clothes certainly seems healthier than spending it on cigarettes! I never had enough rubber bracelets when I was young, so I think I’ll have to get some now. Not sure if they’re really “in” or not, but just the fact that they’re available makes me want some, if only for nostalgic reasons.

1. Ten Ways to Wear Boyfriend Jeans - February 6, 2013

[…] a casual way during the day, I love dressing them up with pumps and a pretty blouse like I did in this post. Honestly, my take on the boyfriend jeans trend is pretty basic, but there are lots and lots of way […]