Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax

“Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax” is the slogan for the historical Los Angeles Farmers Market. It’s a wonderful place to go for lunch, shopping and people watching. Because CBS studios is nearby one can occasionally add celebrity sighting to the list of things to do, though it seems to happen less often now that the open air shopping mall known of as The Grove opened on what was once miles of parking lot. I’ve spent long afternoons at the Farmer’s Market since I was a kid and remember how it used to be, but honestly, I like it even more now. More shops and restaurants equal more fun. There’s also a cute old-fashioned double-decker trolley connecting the two venues. It stops near a non-functioning antique gas station erected recently which adds a whimsical museum-like quality to the historical appeal of the place.

But the Farmers Market is much more than a shopping mall. It’s a collection of small, independent shops and produce stands. These little businesses sell everything from vintage memorabilia to hand-made candy and dried fruit. Shops with tourist goodies abound as well. It’s delightfully eclectic.

Along with produce stands and candy shops the Farmer’s Market offers a wide variety of open air stalls selling every kind of food imaginable. The Loteria Grill is my favorite for regional Mexican food, but the other weekend my husband and I tried out a new, trendy place called Short Order. This two-story open air bar and burger shack sits right next to Du-pars, my father’s favorite coffee shop. It looks out over 3rd and Fairfax. Not the prettiest view if you ask me, but the delightful breezes, large selection of cold beer on tap and truly delicious burgers more than make up for it.

And now on to the clothes. For the past two months it’s been incredibly hot in Los Angeles. I’ve been living in sundresses like this maxi dress from Veronica M, purchased last year on sale. I paired it with brand new gladiator sandals, also purchased on sale, a collection of jewelry and an old raffia bag.

Wearing:

• Veronica M Maxi dress
  • Golden bracelet, earrings and watch from Gilt.com
  • Camper gladiator sandals
  • Raffia purse from American Rag

If you live in L.A. have you ever been to the Farmers Market? Are there any delightful open air malls near you?

, , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax

1. Alexis Grace September 17, 2012 at 9:34 am #

You are making homesick for LA right now! And those shoes are incredibly cute!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Matthew Williamson S/S 2013 CollectionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 17, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Sorry Alexis! The Farmers Market is pretty great. Is there anything like it in Chicago? And thanks for the compliments on the shoes. You’ll be seeing a lot of them here for a while. They’re so comfortable, and it’s been soooooo hot, I can’t think about wearing anything but sandals right now.

2. mary jo
    September 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

love your print dress–you look so good in maxi dresses heather–not really sure when i stopped wearing them, I think i need to get some back into my closet. hoping you made it through the heat of the weekend, i have the feeling things are going to cool down soon :)

xo mary jo
    mary jo recently posted..london fashion weekMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Well, we’re both tall, and I’ve noticed my old maxi dresses aren’t maxi enough. They look really silly when the hem floats around the ankle but finding super long maxi dresses is not easy. They are great in the heat though! I can see why mu-mu’s were the the traditional garment of the Hawaiian islands.

3. Oh to Be a Muse
    September 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

I’m really loving the photo composition in this post. This looks and sounds like such a fun little market.
    Oh to Be a Muse recently posted..Giveaway: Falling for Fall GoodiesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks my dear! The Farmers Market is really a great place. If you’re ever in L.A. you should check it out!

September 17, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

You look delightfully casual and chic, I love the laid back look and the sandals. It looks like you’re still enjoying summer while I’m gearing up for Autumn over here lol
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Is Gender Inequality In Fashion Stores A Thing Of The Past?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

OH, we’re definitely living in summer weather here in Los Angeles. It’s been nice the past couple of days, but there were a couple weeks there that it was really, really hot. No, we’re not gearing up for autumn at all. If anything, I’m gearing up for another heat wave!

September 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Fabulous long dress and amazing photos again Heather. I’ve said it before but you are so lucky to have a husband that delights in taking pictures of you!
    Sylvia recently posted..How to find out if a garment should stay in your closet?My Profile

6. Shanti September 18, 2012 at 7:44 am #

love, love the photos! And the shoes! very inspiring!

• Heather Fonseca September 18, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Shanti. I’ve been living in those shoes! They’re super comfortable and I feel like a chic Italian woman in them.

7. nicole September 19, 2012 at 3:23 am #

Hi Heather,

I have recently discovered you blog and I think it is fantastic. It is just what I was looking for! Your photos are exquisite and the fashion advice you provide is both informative and inspirational. Thank you.

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Hi Nicole and welcome to my blog! I’m so glad you like it. (:

September 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

I love markets like that! Sounds like a fun day. We have lots of farmer’s markets here in NYC – mostly selling produce.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Bamboo Racerback Tank Dress – Golden I ResortwearMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:07 am #

We have a lot of small farmer’s markets here in L.A. too, but this one is permanent. It’s a big outdoor mall from the 1930′s. It’s very quaint and it is a fun place!

9. nofearoffashion August 7, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Great dress. I just always get so worried about the strapless bit. Always afraid the girls will do a runner….
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Oval polka dot summer dressMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

LOL! I wear a very stabilizing strapless bra on me. No running around allowed!

1. Sketches of Some Cute Outfits for Summer - The Style Confessions™ - August 12, 2013

[…] you’d like to see how I wear my maxi dresses, check out the articles Meet me at 3r and Fairfax and Vintage Cars at […]