Printed Jeans – I love you!

Printed jeans – just the idea seems kind of silly, like some tacky 1980’s trend come back to haunt us. Oh wait, trousers with big floral prints WERE fashionable in the 1980’s. I think I might have blocked that out right along with shoulder pads and really big hair, two other looks that are currently moving back into style.

But the new print jeans seem more elegant than the old ones. First of all jeans fit so much better now that Spandex is woven together with the cotton fibers to create the new, stretchy denim. I remember a time when jeans as tight as the one’s I’m wearing in these photos had to be pulled on with the aid of a pair of pliers. Somewhere, in fact, I have a photo of a teenage me lying down flat on the floor in the hopes of getting a new pair of acid wash Guess jeans to zip. To say they were uncomfortable was putting it mildly, but I didn’t care. I was a teenager and it was The Look.

But I digress.

I don’t remember owning a pair of print jeans back in the 1980’s. Clothes were expensive and I didn’t have a lot of money to spend on trendy things. If my parents thought something was ugly they wouldn’t buy it for me, and printed pants fell into that category. That, however, is not the case this time around. The new print jeans are for the most part subtle, elegant and completely wearable. What I really like about them, however, is what they do with an otherwise plain and simple outfit: they make it interesting. In these photos I’m wearing my print jeans  the way I wore them all summer long, with a white blouse and nude sandals. It could be boring, but that little hint of a print on my jeans gives the outfit something special.

It’s been very hot in Los Angeles recently, but fall officially starts in a few days, so regardless of the weather these jeans are heading into storage at the top of my closet with all my other pale blue and pastel clothes.  I really do love the printed jeans trend, and if the spring fashion shows are any sign of what will be stylish in six months I have no doubt I’ll be getting a lot of wear out of these jeans next year. Pretty, delicate prints marched down many a runway.

Now I need a pair for autumn. I have my eyes on a few different options. Do you too?

Wearing:

• White cotton blouse by the Gap, purchased at The Goodwill.
  • Printed denim jeans by Not Your Daughter’s Jeans
  • White belt from Target
  • Blue clutch from Veronica M
  • Roberto de Carlo platform sandals

What do you think of the printed jeans trend? Do you own any? Do you remember them the last time around?

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Printed Jeans – I love you!

1. Oh to Be a Muse
    September 19, 2012 at 10:14 am #

You’re right, floral print trousers were very big back in the day and they seem to be coming around again. I like the subtlety of yours.
    Oh to Be a Muse recently posted..Inspiring Style: Fall 2012 WishlistMy Profile

2. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    September 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Pinning & copying this look for sure!! 🙂 Love it so much. I think I was supposed to be this age in the 80s — I’m all about big hair, high-waisted bottoms, big eyebrows & I even like shoulder pads.
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Loves :: September SponsorsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Thanks Stephanie! The 80’s were a lot of fun. And I don’t care what anyone says the music was GREAT. Honestly, shoulder pads are really flattering because they make the rest of the body look smaller. I know they’re going to be back soon. It’s time I think!

3. Alexis Grace September 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I am missing my normal denim right now. Alas, I am stuck with maternity options at the moment, but you are probably right— a lot more options for printed denim come spring! Another reason for me to get the weight off post-delivery!!!

I wish I could see the print on the denim a little better, but I do like the look!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Simone Rocha S/S 2013 CollectionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Sorry about the photos. I know it’s really hard to see the print. It’s very light anyway, and the light was so bright that afternoon the photos ended up being rather pale.
      I’m sure you’ll have no problem getting the baby weight off. Just exercise and eat really healthy food (now and after!)

4. Playing With Scarves September 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Hi Heather,
    You make me feel like trying a pair of printed jeans. They look really cute on you (not sure they will look as cute on me but I am ready to give it a try.
    Love your blue clutch too. To die for!
    Have a great day 🙂
    xo,
    Anne

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Thanks so much! That blue clutch was a major steal. I’m surprised by how versatile it’s been. The color seems to work with almost everything. Anyway, I hope you have a chance to try some printed jeans. They’re a lot of fun.

5. nicole September 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Wow. You are so right, I’d never thought about how jeans have become more comfortable over the years. I too remember squeezing into a pair of very rigid acid wash jeans and I remember when second hand 501’s were all the go. I really like the jeans in your photos, the look is effortless and understated (which is something that I never thought could be achievable with printed jeans). I am now inspired to expand my fashion paradigm a bit and try some on- I’d love to find a similar pair! Thanks Heather.

• Heather Fonseca September 20, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Aw thanks Nicole! I’m glad you’re inspired to try some printed jeans. The one’s I’m wearing have a very subtle print. NYDJ are less expensive than other designer jeans and they fit really well. The have quite a few printed jeans in their line right now and they’re all subtle. I highly recommend you check them out if you have a chance. They sell the brand at Macy’s and Nordstrom.

6. Jeannie
    September 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Yes, I remember the loud 80’s style! I do love printed jeans. Looking for a fall version right now. You look fresh and sexy in this simple & chic outfit!
    Jeannie recently posted..These are a few of my favorite things….My Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 22, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Oh Jeannie I can’t wait to see how you look in printed jeans! I really want a pair for fall, but I’m trying to save money. Sigh. If the right pair come along I know I won’t have much self control though. I found a pair of J-Brand printed jeans the other day. The pair I’ve REALLY been wanting. They’re over $200. Too much money! Thankfully they didn’t have my size.

7. Kelly Bryan September 21, 2012 at 5:13 am #

I must say that you look sexy in those printed jeans. I don’t have any of them in my jeans collection just yet but it seems I am gonna get a pair for me.

8. WendyB September 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

What I love about ’80s fashion is that a lot of it was and is terribly unflattering but we LOVED it and we all felt so BEAUTIFUL when we had the right boxy jacket on! I don’t think I’ve felt as great about fashion since then!

And I was so particular about my Guess jeans with the ankle zips. My sister put on a pair of mine once and I lost it! Had to re-iron them and all that stuff 😉
    WendyB recently posted..Let’s All Stare at Rihanna’s ChestMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 23, 2012 at 11:54 am #

I don’t remember it all being that unflattering really. There are always unflattering trends around, and we look back and wonder what we were thinking, but fashion wouldn’t be fun if it was all flattering!

September 28, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Every time I see them in stores I am tempted to get a pair but for some reason don’t. I think I’ll have to give it a try!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..TCG Makes: Roasted Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Give it a try Stacey! They’re really fun.