Updating Red Jeans

I bought these red jeans last year knowing very well that they were just a fad but I didn’t care. I wanted to be trendy. I knew they’d be the hight of cool for a little while, and then would drop into the “out” category as some other hot item took their place.  I’m grateful that I wasn’t completely correct.  The red denim trend has simply evolved.  Turquoise, pink and neon denim had a moment of fame, and now colored corduroy and printed jeans are enjoying their day in the sun.  Even though red isn’t the hot color anymore I still love my cranberry colored jeans. I wore them with a black knit blouse last fall, with red during the holiday season, and with an oversized madras shirt this summer.  I wanted to wear them a bit differently this fall, and I was hoping I could combine them with another trend to refresh the look.

Military styles hit the fall-winter designer runways earlier this year and found their way into the glossy pages of magazines and the street style blogs in early September.  One day I was wandering the internet, pondering how to update my red jeans for the season, when I came across a girl wearing red and army green. I can’t find the image anymore, though I was certain I uploaded to Pinterest for reference, but the look stuck in my mind. The inspiration came together one day in this outfit. It was easy to combine the jeans with army green because I already had a military-inspired jacket in my closet. I bought it last year to wear camping. At the time I had no idea that it would be a huge trend this year.  Here’s a trend I found before it was even trendy!  It makes me feel like such a fashionista. I find the dull green color surprisingly versatile. It seems to work with almost everything in my fall wardrobe, but I especially like the way it looks with red.

Wearing:

• Jacket from Nordstroms
  • Black silk blouse and multi-chain necklace from gilt.com
  • Red jeans by J Brand
  • Boots by Kork-Ease
  • Purse from Target

Have you updated any old favorites with a new trendy item recently? What did you do? Was it successful?

, , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Updating Red Jeans

1. Priya N
    November 7, 2012 at 3:01 am #

Your jeans still looks very fresh. You are looking very gorgeous in this red jeans.
    Priya N recently posted..Part Time Jobs in Delhi Without InvestmentMy Profile

2. Oh to Be a Muse
    November 7, 2012 at 9:03 am #

I love how you paired your colored denim with that jacket. I also bought a pair of red denim early last year, and I still love mine. I don’t think they’re that much of a fad…I plan to wear them for a while.
    Oh to Be a Muse recently posted..Makeup and Muses: What’s My Masque-RadeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I hope you’re right and red jeans remain in style for a while. Ill be sad when the look is out. They’re so much fun.

3. Alexis Grace November 7, 2012 at 9:16 am #

I loved these jeans the first time I saw them (at my place!) and I still do. It is great that you’ve kept them and worn them throughout different seasons, but mostly that you continue to share them with your readers!!!! I love when clothing has a LONG shelf life…. for SO many reasons!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Chanel Resort 2013 Ad CampaignMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Some of the things hanging in my closet are over ten years old. There’s something great about bringing out old favorites, but unlike a lot of my basics these still bring a smile to my lips. I love finding new ways to wear them.

4. Paula November 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

I love ALL the brightly colored jeans! Altho, I dont wear them myself–just uncomfortable in pants. So I will live vicariously through you!
    Paula recently posted..PeplumsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

I was uncomfortable in pants until I discovered jeans with Lycra. They’re still not the most comfortable things, but I don’t care! Love them anyway.

5. Shanti November 7, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

love how the red pops out in these pics! your hair looks great!

6. Marla November 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

I love the red jeans with the leopard bag.

7. Jeannie
    November 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Very stylish & hip! I love this look.. one of my fav go to look for weekends.
    You look gorgeous, Heather!

I’m really loving the printed jeans these days. Can’t seem to get enough. I love jeans and this is a wonderful alternative to your everyday blue ones.

Btw, did you get the tutu yet?
    Jeannie recently posted..The tale of the traveling tutuMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Hi Jeannie! I love printed jeans too, but I just haven’t found the right combination of price and high enough rise. It seems like all the really cute print jeans barely cover my behind and I need a bit more coverage at this age. But yours I love!

8. citizen rosebud
    November 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

I’ve been one big bad fashion faux pas lately- can’t seem to hit my stride (yet) in Seattle. I love your Korkies- love love love them!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Walk the Walk: Shop Secondhand FirstMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Thank you Bella. I can’t imagine trying to dress for Seattle. The weather would just leave me completely befuddled. I know you’re not planning a lot of outfit posts in the future, but I would love to see how you’re managing. Maybe you’ll take pity on us and do a couple outfit posts here and there?

9. ODYSSEY
    November 8, 2012 at 7:53 am #

J Brand, I see! 😉 Gorgeous.
    Also, great looking boots.

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I’m so glad you like my new boots. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on them and they are very comfortable too. And J brand is one of my favorite denim brands. Wish I could afford more!

10. DressCode:HighFashion
    November 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

You`re right, red works fantastic with military!

You look great.

Best, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Alexander McQueen Lookbook F/W 12My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Thanks Jen! I didn’t think of it myself, but I’m really happy with the results anyway.

11. Playing With Scarves November 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Perfect color match, Heather!
    I just bought red jeans this week. Now I need to get a military top…….
    xo,
    Anne (Playing with Scarves)
    Playing With Scarves recently posted..ALERT!!!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 9, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

You must have a beautiful khaki or dark green scarf somewhere. It’s the color combination that is so nice, after all red and green are compliments.

November 10, 2012 at 6:51 am #

I love the red jeans, such a bold statement but they’re paired beautifully with the military green and darker shirt underneath.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Inappropriate Looks Part 3: Lena Dunham & ‘That Outfit’My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Thanks Arash. Everyone’s support is making me want to do more experimentation with color.

November 10, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I like the look but it seems surprisingly casual for you! 🙂 Still haven’t bought any colored jeans.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Weekend Plans: City of AngelsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 10, 2012 at 9:23 am #

I actually dress very casually on a daily basis. The photos for my blog are taken on the weekend when I’m more dressed up, but I’m trying to get some more “real” looks in here too.

14. mystyle February 5, 2013 at 8:40 am #

Hi there!! You look great in your red jeans and I love the whole look with khaki and a black silk blouse- a really stylish and inspirational look!
    mystyle recently posted..ThriftMyStyle…..Outfit post and wardrobe revampingMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 5, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Thank you! I’m so glad you like the look.