Casino Chic

Last weekend my husband and I did something we haven’t done in ages. We went to the cinema. I take my kids to see movies all the time, but a date that includes a late night movie happens much too rarely these days. Hugo and I saw the new James Bond movie, Skyfall. It was a lot of fun, and of course there was the essential casino scene where dozens of gorgeous women, dressed in long, sexy gowns, play elegant card games with equally elegant gentlemen. Does this happen anywhere outside of Hollywood? I wish it did!

I used to love to gamble the night away in Los Vegas, but once I had children all that came to an end.  If I were to visit a casino in the future for a game of black jack or poker, my two favorite card games, I would want wear something like the outfit I’m modeling in these photos. Table games seem very sophisticated to me, and I’d like to dress up for the occasion. Unfortunately this simple black dress and velvet jacket might make me look like the gambling novice I am. Real gamblers dress casually, or sometimes very conservatively, depending upon how they want to be perceived. If I were smart I’d dress like I know what I’m doing.

Here are a few suggestions from the experts on how to really dress for a night at the card tables. I’ve yet to visit a casino where anyone was wearing anything more dressy than nice jeans and a jacket. Rather than the elegant floor-length evening gown presented in Hollywood’s casino fantasies, put on something fun but casual. You could be on your feet for hours, so wear comfortable shoes as well. It’s easy to set a purse down and forget about it, so find a small, discrete cross-body bag that leaves your hands and arms free to hold that winning hand of cards.

I still like this elegant little black dress and short velvet jacket. Maybe I would wear it to a casino anyway.

Wearing:

• Necklace from Forever 21
  • Black velvet jacket from Nordstrom
  • Black dress purchased at Barney’s in the 1990’s
  • The black purse once belonged to my mother, it’s probably from the 1980’s
  • Nine West pumps
–  Written in collaboration with Charlotte Black.

Do you like to gamble? What do you wear when you go to a casino?

, , , , , ,

20 Responses to Casino Chic

1. No fear of fashion November 26, 2012 at 4:12 am #

See… Good quality lasts. This dress is still gorgeous. And with your body in it, it is a total knock-out. Please wear it.
    I cannot gamble. I stand there with the fiches in my hand and calculate my chances. Then I think of the things I can buy with the the money (fiches) in my hand. And I cannot gamble anymore. The chances that I will lose are to me bigger than he chances that I win.

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

I don’t do much gambling Greetje, but my grandmother was a shark at the card tables, and I never say no to a friendly game of poker. But you’re right. It’s fun to win, but heartbreaking to loose!

2. Shanti November 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

love the studio photos and the cards add a cool touch. Classy outfit, fabulous necklace!

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

Thanks Shanti! I got that necklace at forever 21 years ago. Isn’t if fun? It’s a favorite.

3. citizen rosebud
    November 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

The difference between the fantasy of film and the reality of a casino. Love the LBD with a touch of sizzle!
    citizen rosebud recently posted..Outfit Post: Tam-Print-Stripe-Plaid BamMy Profile

4. Donna
    November 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

I love the dress and jacket! Wear it somewhere, because you look too beautiful in it to let it sit in the closet.
    Donna recently posted..Discount off of all jewelry in my Etsy shopMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Thanks Donna. It’s the perfect little throw and works over a lot of things. Now that it’s the holidays I’ll be sure to wear it somewhere.

5. mary jo
    November 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Heather, I like your casino outfit — love the inspiration and that you had a great date night with your love, that’s wonderful! Love the reminder about a cross body bag for a casino, it’s such a good point!
    mary jo recently posted..the shimmer of things to comeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

I have a friend who lost her bag at a casino, and it was a very very nice Hermes handbag. She put it down next to her to play the slots and then got up for a second to get a drink or something. When she got back it was gone. I’ve never forgotten. Glad you like the outfit!

6. Marla November 27, 2012 at 3:08 am #

I recently picked up a jacket from Nordstrom similar to yours but cream colored and I am obsessed with it! Love your look.

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Thanks Marla! I hope you wear your new cream colored one on your blog soon so I can see it.

7. Jeannie
    November 27, 2012 at 5:47 am #

This would be perfect for a new years eve party! Glam & Gorgeous!
    Jeannie recently posted..I’m a little bit countryMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Thanks Jeannie. I usually get more dressed up for New Years Eve, but I could see wearing this to a party this holiday season for sure.

8. Jamillah November 28, 2012 at 7:36 am #

stunning! i totally still rock things i have from the 90’s! i mean somethings just stay in style .

also good for you! nice to have a date night and that i’m sure you both deserve :).
    Jamillah recently posted..What I Wore-Farewell Flower PantsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

This black dress is so simple it’s hard to imagine it ever NOT in style. But the micro spaghetti straps and knee length are very 1996!

9. A Brit Greek
    November 28, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Ooh la-la, tres chic Heather! You are positively smokin’!
    I wish women would dress up more in the classic Hollywood way, I love the nostalgia etc but I guess it’s just not always comfortable… the cross-body bag is definitely a must for convenience! Easy for stashing the wins!
    x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek recently posted..A BUMP, BLESSING & THE BEST OF NOVEMBER…My Profile

• Heather Fonseca November 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

I’m sure someone out there is dressing up to gamble, I’ve just never seen them! Somehow I think the Indian casinos here in California aren’t the best places to see really dressy James Bond style dressing.

December 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Look at you sexy mama!! Love the look on you!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Photographng The Story of YOUR ThanksgivingMy Profile