How to Wear a Tulle Skirt

When Gabrialla of Style Higher asked if I would like to try styling her tulle skirt, or tutu, my answer was immediate. Yes!

A few ways to wear a tulle skirt

I wasn’t sure how to wear a tulle skirt, but I was up to the challenge. Gabrialla wore it with a little black jacket in the post “Tu-tu Old to Wear that Tutu” and Gracefully 50 wore it as a dress in “The Tale of the Traveling Tutu”. They both looked great. I wanted to do something a little different so I did what I always do when I’m not sure what to do; I put together a Pinterest board of ideas. It’s called “How to Wear a Tutu” and there are lots of great looks on it, but after careful thought I decided that a tutu is best worn in a classic way, at least at my age. So I paired the skirt with a short wrap black sweater, bow belt and simple black pumps. I then proceeded to have a blast dancing around my living room while my husband snapped away on his camera.

That was fun! I would love to wear a tulle skirt to a party, especially one where there’s dancing.

To accessorize the cream-colored skirt I wore my grandmother’s pale peach glitter resin earrings and matching necklace. If felt that the vintage jewelry worked well with the retro quality of the outfit. On my wrist was a diminutive gold chain watch, and around my waist a patent leather bow belt. You can’t tell in the photos but I’m also wearing nude-colored net tights.

Wearing:

• My daughter’s black velvet headband
  • My grandmother’s peach and gold glitter resin necklace and earrings
  • Watch from Gilt
  • A black sweater from Macy’s INC line
  • Black patent leather bow belt from Nordstrom
  • Tulle skirt from Style Higher
  • Black pumps from Nine West

What do you think of the outfit? Would you ever wear a tulle petticoat skirt or tutu? If so, how would you wear it?

, , , , ,

46 Responses to How to Wear a Tulle Skirt

1. Sarah
    December 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Gotta love a tulle skirt, and this one is particularly soft & classy. I’d love to be dainty enough to rock it with a leotard like Carrie, but I think I’d most suit wearing one with a beat-up t-shirt!
    X
    Sarah recently posted..KEEPING WARMMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

I thought about wearing the skirt with a T-shirt, but this one seemed to want a little sweater. I like how they look with t-shirts though!

2. Kiki December 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Oh, yeah. I own it and usually pair it with denim. Either a jacket or a shirt. It’s on my blog somewhere…I posted it in summer.
    Kiki recently posted..New InMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 3, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Tulle looks great with denim! I’ll have to look for your outfit.

3. Shanti December 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

beautiful! your bow belt and grandmother’s jewelry add just the right touches!

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Thanks Shanti. I liked how my grandmother’s jewelry complimented the color of the skirt. In real life it looked very pretty.

4. Jeannie
    December 3, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Heather! What a classy & fabulous way to wear the tutu! 😀

I LOVE your fun photos! How cute is your belt?
    Jeannie recently posted..I’m a little bit countryMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Thanks Jeannie! I like how you wore it as a dress too.

5. Alexis Grace December 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

I LOVE this skirt! and I think you look like a grown up ballerina with the sweater! (And I mean that as a compliment!) FUN!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Lulu Frost for J.CrewMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Thanks Alexis. It is a very ballerina look, and like most little girls I wanted to be one when I grew up, so now I can still play dress up. Glad you like it!

6. Donna
    December 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

At my current weight I wouldn’t wear one because it adds fullness, but it looks great on you. You have the perfect proportions for it, and what you chose to wear with it looks lovely. I think the retro jewelry and black top and shoes are perfect with it. Great job!
    Donna recently posted..Orange eyeshadow can be a neutralMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Thank you Donna! So glad you like the look.

7. Anna December 3, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

It’s definitely a lovely combination! I have a couple of tulle skirt pins as well!! Personally, I’d wear it with a sweater and maybe opaque thighs!
    Anna recently posted..{outfit} The little black birthday dressMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:21 am #

I love a tulle skirt with a sweater, it’s such a pretty, soft look.

8. Marla December 4, 2012 at 2:49 am #

So pretty, love that black top with that amazing skirt and that little bow belt is adorable.

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Thanks Marla. I’m glad you like the look.

9. Playing With Scarves December 4, 2012 at 3:48 am #

Nice combination. It looks both soft and sophisticated.
    I am amazed by all these great combinations you, Jeannie and others can create around a tutu. This is a fun challenge! Where will this tutu trip end up???
    xo
    Anne (Playing with Scarves)
    Playing With Scarves recently posted..Pashmina: the winter must-have scarfMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Well Anne, if you want to try your hand at styling the traveling tutu please let us know! I’m sure Gabriala would be happy to send it on to you. Just let me know and I’ll arrange it.

10. Gisela December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am #

The combinations you used turned out to be a beautiful look!

11. nofearoffashion December 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I would never have bought it, but now I want it. And it just happened that my colleague was wearing a tutu-skirt today in black. I tried to persuade her to part with it (failed miserably).
    You look very good in it and you styled it very well. Could you also have a go at my tapered leather pencil skirt (long to my ankle). A pity you don’t live next door.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Orange Max Mara combinationMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:19 am #

A long tapered leather skirt sounds like a challenge for sure. I’m sure it could be done though. Like you I now want another tulle skirt. The one I’m wearing in these photos is a bit small around the waist, and I’d love one in black.

12. Gabriala
    December 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Heather, you look AMAZING! So pretty, you have the perfect figure for this skirt, I love how you style it! Those shoes and belt are perfect. Thank you so much for playing along, you are beautiful! xoxox!
    Gabriala recently posted..$20 Fur CollarMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thank you Gabriala. I hope someone else wants to pick up the challenge, it was fun!

December 5, 2012 at 6:09 am #

You styled it perfectly. I looks really nice on you! Love the shoes with this.
    Sylvia recently posted..3 colours 1 print dressing challenge results + new challenge!My Profile

14. Shybiker December 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

So pretty! And fun. Fun should be a big component in fashion. I wore a tutu on my blog last month and delighted in the experience. I’ve also collected a few tulle dresses and petticoats. I recommend them.
    Shybiker recently posted..Ally & GinaMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 6, 2012 at 11:15 am #

My tutu experience just makes me want to try another tutu!

15. ODYSSEY
    December 6, 2012 at 11:03 am #

This exudes pure class and a timeless chic. Very pretty too.

16. Sherryl Perry December 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Very cute tulle skirt and it looks great! Up until now, I only thought of tulle skirts as being worn by little girls and ballerinas. 🙂 Thanks for sharing Heather!
    Sherryl Perry recently posted..5 Essential Apps for EntrepreneursMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Thanks Sherryl, and thanks so much for coming by and saying hi!

17. Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud
    December 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

You are Audrey Hepburn and smokin’! I would wear a tulle skirt- would love too! You can go goth, go fairy princess, go classic, go ballerina- just don’t go home! You’ve styled it wonderfully- I love the bow detail in your skinny belt.
    Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud recently posted..Party on Top, No nonsense on the BottomMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Thanks Bella! The skirt is a bit too small on me, but I’m going to keep my eyes open for one that fits because I love the look. I want my own!

18. Alison
    December 13, 2012 at 6:45 am #

I love how you styled it, Heather! You have inspired me as I own similar pieces. Thank you!
    Alison recently posted..My Head is Too Big to be Hipster: A Warby Parker ReviewMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you Alison! I’m so glad you like it, and I’d love to see how you style a tutu too!

19. San Diego Diner
    December 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Tulle skirts always gives difference. Im a woman who loves wearing skirts, but with tulle skirts? Gives oozing sense of classic style. Not to forget how fun it is to work with a husband wife professionalism in this endeavor.

20. Rocquelle January 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

So lovely Heather!! I love a good tulle skirt!
    Rocquelle recently posted..CasualizedMy Profile

21. RSA QLD
    February 8, 2013 at 2:17 am #

lol! Actually my first time to read about Tulle Skirt.

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

I hope you enjoy it. I think tulle skirts are going to become a big fashion trend.

22. Linda February 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Love Love Love it!

It is sophisticated and fun and very sexy and VERY age appropriate. I have a May wedding to attend and am going to seriously consider this type of outfit. So cute.
    Linda recently posted..Madison Marathon – HALF!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Thanks Linda. I’m so glad my outfit inspired you! I think a tulle skirt would be great at a wedding.

23. Veshoevius February 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

You’re never too old for a tutu! Love yours with the stillettos! I love tutus – I have a few!
    Veshoevius recently posted..Christmas PicsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 12, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

I love tutus too! The one I wore in the post doesn’t belong to me so I need to get myself one. I’d love one in a soft neutral color. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.