Red Glitter Nail Polish

Years ago I fell in love with a red glitter nail polish by Christian Dior. I remember a beautiful bright red lacquer embedding with tiny glitter flakes. But I didn’t REALLY need a red glitter polish, did I? Certainly I could find something similar for less, right? Silly me. I was so wrong. Glitter polishes are ubiquitous now, but all those years ago they were few and far between. I wanted a bright red with tiny red glitter flakes and  spent literally years looking for the perfect one. A few seasons ago I splurged on a Deborah Lippmann red glitter polish but it was a bit darker than I wanted. This season, however, the market is literally flooded with bright red glitter polish. If you like your holiday polish red and sparkly now is the time to pick up a couple of bottles of this festive and fun stuff.

Here are a few of the many glitter polishes available at retail this holiday season. .

Deborah Lippmann Do Ya Think I’m Sexy

Essie nail color polish in Leading Lady

POP Beauty Nail Glam Nail Polish in XMas

Clearly I like glitter polish, but often the most unusual colors are seasonal, limited edition runs. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. At the drugstore L’oreal and Maybelline offer some pretty sparkly reds. OPI and China Glaze have fun red glitter polish options in their slightly pricier line-ups as well.

In this photo I’m wearing is called “Ruby Jewels” by Milani. It cost less than $2! It started chipping after one day though, so maybe it’s not the best quality. Still, its a lot of fun, don’t you think?

What do you think of the glitter polish trend? Do you like to wear red glitter polish during the holidays? If so, what’s your favorite?

, , , , , , ,

26 Responses to Red Glitter Nail Polish

1. Marla December 10, 2012 at 3:06 am #

I never wore glitter polish until this year and now I can’t stop wearing it, ha! I really love the look but l probably won’t wear it after the holidays.

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

I didn’t wear it for a long time either. I guess I felt that glitter polish is for a younger woman, but I think it can be very sophisticated depending upon the colors chosen. Maybe a hot pink would be too girly for me now, but an elegant red is elegant no matter if it’s a creme or a glitter.

2. brookemeagan December 10, 2012 at 6:36 am #

The timing of this post is too perfect! For the past few days I’ve been thinking that it’s time to get my nails in the festive spirit. I have a red glitter polish by O.P.I. that I believe was part of their Christmas collection last year, but I’ve been eyeing up one by Essie. I went to the drugstore on the hunt for a new polish for our beach vacation this year and decided I might just need a new Christmas polish too! XO
    brookemeagan recently posted..Winter WhiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

I’ve been eyeing the Essie red glitter polish in their winter collection too. I have so many polishes though, I’m trying to be “good” and not buy lots more.

3. nofearoffashion December 10, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Oh how I wished I could put that on my nails…. I am forbidden to do anything around my nails (long story; won’t bother you with that). But I can still remember the days when I had red nails. I would certainly have used this glitter one.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Fur jacket with charcoal skirtMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

I’m sorry you can’t wear polish. I would be crushed!

4. Alexis Grace December 10, 2012 at 11:43 am #

What a great way to do festive without going over the top. There really are some great glitter polishes these days!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Seeing DoubleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Now is the time to get them if you like them. It seems like we’d be able to get whatever color we want whenever, but the colors really are based on current trends, so if you like glitter get it now!

5. Shanti December 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

great colors to get in the spirit of the season! In my experience (which is certainly limited), Essie polish goes on the easiest, dries the fastest, and lasts the longest.

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

I have good luck with Essie polish too. It does seem to last a long time on my nails. OPI is the most disappointing for me. It’s pricy but on my nails chips immediately. For other people it works really well though, so I feel comfortable recommending it.

6. Mary Jo
    December 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Heather that is such a pretty color red! I am not really a glitter person–I guess more of a shimmer person, but I like to see it on others and this looks amazing on you for the holidays!

Mary Jo recently posted..10 little gifts under $20My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Thanks Mary Jo! I like shimmer too, but I’m very fond of glitter.

December 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

It’s wonderful and festive. What I have found though when I put on nail polish is that I can’t use my nails for anything. I need to be careful and then there is the toxins to worry about. So I’m always struggling with that. But in terms of looking good, creative nail polish can’t be beat.
    Sylvia recently posted..How to wear the colour of the year: emerald greenMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Sylvia, if you’re worried about toxins in the polish check out “Butter”. The colors are beautiful and they’re mostly free of the worst chemicals. They make a base and top coat too. It’s an English brand so you might be able to find it near you.

8. SACRAMENTO December 11, 2012 at 7:09 am #

I have fallen in love with black nails polish, and I always go back to it.
    Which brand would you recomend for longer lasting?
    SACRAMENTO recently posted..Inner CalmMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

I like Sonia Kashuk and Wet & Wild, both available in American drug stores but I’m not sure if they’re sold in Europe. If you can get Essie polish there I’d recommend that brand too.

December 12, 2012 at 12:21 am #

Under $2? Um, I’m in! And it looks great!
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Loot :: $50 gift card to Shabby Apple!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 13, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

There are some great bargains at the drugstore Steph! Glad you like the color.

10. Julnequwa December 13, 2012 at 12:57 am #

I have that Milani nail polish. Its my favorite nail color ever!

• Heather Fonseca December 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks Julnequwa! Does it chip right away for you too? It’s my first Milani polish, and although it’s doing fine on my toes I’m disappointed by it’s lasting power on my fingers.

11. A Brit Greek
    December 13, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I still love wearing glitter nail polish, the one I love is Deborah Lippman – I love the mix of chunky specks and glitter, 2 layers is all you need! I’ve got the bad romance one, but I quite fancy a red lacquer now that i”ve seen your nails!
    A Brit Greek recently posted..BEAUTIFULLY WRAPPED V.3My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

I LOVE Deborah Lippman’s colors, but the polish chips almost immediately on my nails. Sigh.

12. Jeannie
    December 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

So pretty! Perfect for parties!
    I don’t usually wear nail polish but looking at yours, I may just have to try.
    Btw, I got an email yesterday from 7for All Mankind. Most of their printed jeans are on sale!
    Jeannie recently posted..Calm & CarefreeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

REd glitter polish is fun this time of year, but I don’t wear it year-round. Let me know what you think if you try it. As for the printed jeans (I’m obsessed) I don’t like how I look in low-rise jeans, and so far I’ve only found a few mid-rise printed jeans. It seems like all of 7 for All Mankind’s printed jeans are low-rise. Sigh.

December 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Oooh! So fun! I’ll have to be on the lookout. My girls especially love sparkly nails!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..Theater Photography: Oklahoma!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca December 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

Your local drug store probably still has a lot of glittery options! I just bought the essie versions too.