Staying warm wearing burgundy and grey

Burgundy and plaid outfitAfter a blisteringly hot fall the temperatures in Los Angeles have finally cooled down, but in this land of extremes it goes without saying that the weather went from hot as Hades to icy cold in no more than a month. January is usually a beautiful time of year, and the blue skies and puffy white clouds I see every morning are no exception to the rule, but it’s cold. The low temperatures have been in the thirties recently. The daytime is usually a warmer than night, but as soon as the sun goes down whatever warmth those golden rays bring suddenly disappear.

Thankfully I’ve built a wardrobe that can handle high temperatures as well as fairly low ones. I’m not saying that I’m ready for a winter in Chicago, but over the years I’ve added some nice warm coats to keep the chill of January at bay. I bought this plaid beauty on sale a couple of years ago, and I relish the warm wool as much as the dark, muted, winter colors woven into the plaid. There’s something about burgundy and grey that feel so comforting this time of year. Tall boots and a long scarf keep the rest of me warm as well.

The day I wore this outfit I looked around me and saw a lot of people shivering in thin sweaters and light weight jackets. Part of it might just be that Angelenos are not used to the cold, so don’t prepare for it. But I wonder if we all invested in a few great looking cold weather pieces if we wouldn’t feel more confident about bundling up, and avoid freezing when the sun went down!

Burgundy and grey plaid outfit

Burgundy and grey plaid outfit

Burgundy and grey plaid outfit

Burgundy and grey plaid outfit

Burgundy and grey plaid outfit

Wearing:

• Plaid coat by Tommy Hillfigger
  • Grey dress from Ross, a gift from my mother-in-law
  • Tall boots from Loehmanns
  • Clutch from Nordstroms
  • Cashmere scarf a gift from my mother

Do you have a favorite cold weather coat?

36 Responses to Staying warm wearing burgundy and grey

1. Oliva January 11, 2013 at 3:07 am #

Very cool pics!:)

Come and check my blog at http://olivastyle.tumblr.com/
    Oliva recently posted..Moja definicija stilaMy Profile

2. Pam
    January 11, 2013 at 4:45 am #

What a great coat!! I found a window pane Jones of NY coat at Ross a couple of years ago with a big knit roll collar and it is my favorite in my closet right now. Love the burgundy color on you…just brightens your face immensely! Great pics as always!
    Pam recently posted..If I were shopping…..My Profile

3. Playing with Scarves January 11, 2013 at 4:58 am #

Grey and Burgundy: the best winter color combination… What a lovely coat! I love love its pattern, shape, fabric – it seems so soft – and all the delicate details (buttons, buckles in the back etc.). And what a beautiful cashemere pashmina! Once again your scarf creates a perfect visual link.
    I miss wearing my coats so much… My favorite is a long and fluid coat: black, thin wool, no buttons just an assorted belt. Unfortunately I can only wear it when I travel out of Florida…
    Can I come and visit you???
    Stay warm.
    xo,
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

I think I would be unhappy in Florida. I like cooler weather, but I know my husband loves the heat. But then he’s from Cuba. Glad you like the pashmina. It’s my favorite!

4. Kiki January 11, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Coat is so lovely. And, yeah, we never associate cold weather with LA. If I didn’t know better, I’d think you’re from the colder climes dressed like that. ;)
    Kiki recently posted..Red CoatMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks Kiki! It’s not usually this cold here. We’re having a cold snap. Loving it!

5. nofearoffashion January 11, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Yes it is a lovely coat, very well combined with the boots and scarf. And with this grey dress it is a lovely combination. I think it might be harder to combine with other clothes?
    Living in cold The Netherlands I have lots of coats. And as I have to wear them a lot, I make sure they are as long (or a bit longer) than the hem of my skirts and dresses. Otherwise it can clash.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..3 coloured high heeled booties and purple jacketMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

The plaid is surprisingly versatile. It goes well with black, and I wear a lot of burgundy with it too. It also looks good with denim. I can’t wear it with every outfit though. Glad you like the ensemble!

6. Shanti January 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

beautiful photos and love, love the coat!! Those colors are amazing

7. Jeannie
    January 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Wow! Heather, you look amazing! Beautiful ensemble, gorgeous photos!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Jeannie recently posted..Go GreenMy Profile

8. Marla January 12, 2013 at 3:24 am #

I wish we had cooler weather in FL but we’ve been dealing with eighty degree weather. No chance to wear a lot of my coats. Your coat is gorgeous. I love burgundy and grey mixed together. Two of my favorite colors.

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm #

Normally it’s pretty warm here too. It was crazy hot this fall! I’m happy with the colder weather, that’s for sure. (:

9. A Brit Greek
    January 12, 2013 at 3:48 am #

Such a chic coat Heather! My brother has been whinging about the cooler weather in LA, but least it’s not going to get anywhere near -5 degrees… we’ve got some seriously snow due our way soon! Looking beautiful lovely!
    x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek recently posted..FABULOUS FRIDAYS: PRABAL GURUNG FOR TARGET 2013My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

No, I doubt LA will ever hit negative five degrees. If it did we’d probably all die. Now I have to go figure out more cold weather outfits. I’m pretty well prepared because I love cold weather clothes, but I still have to think about it!

10. Jacque
    January 12, 2013 at 5:03 am #

Heather – I just love that coat! The skirt and scarf compliment it perfectly!

11. Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud
    January 12, 2013 at 10:06 am #

I love this look and the fact it looks current but curated from past seasons. Classic has so much cache when styled in flattering timeless silhuoettes. In short: you look great!
    Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud recently posted..Outfit Post: Minty FreshMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks Bella. I actually wore the outfit like three days in a row because I was so pleased with it, plus I was warm!!!!

12. Adiel
    January 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Ooh! I love that coat!
    Adiel recently posted..Knackered with a Glitter AccentMy Profile

January 13, 2013 at 3:39 am #

I bought a Peacoat a year or two ago from H&M it’s really nice but probably could do with a good brush before I wear it next. I love a good coat and this one looks amazing on you. My next investment, coat wise will be a great, well fitted top coat.

I also love the burgundy cashmere scarf, super luxe!
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..Fast Fashion Collaborations: Had Enough Already?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Arash! Glad you like the look and the coat. A top coat sounds fabulous! Wish you did more personal style posts…

January 13, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Very nice Heather. It may be incovenient, but I guess it’s actually really nice to just wear your winter stuff for a few days. At least you know that it will never be that long in LA!
    Sylvia recently posted..5. How close is your current style to your desired style and what would you change?My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:24 am #

So far it’s been over a week of pretty darn cold weather. I hate to sound like I’m whining, but I’m really not used to it!

15. DressCode:HighFashion
    January 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Great, classical look! Loving the coat in particular. The second to last picture is my favourite – makes me wonder what`s on your mind.

Hope you had a nice weekend!

Hugs, Jen

16. Alexis Grace January 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

I am so impressed that you’ve been able to create a cold weather wardrobe in LA! Something I failed terribly at during my time there and since….

You look great! I love that coat!!

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Thanks Alexis. My “cold weather” wardrobe is being seriously stretched at the moment. It’s been darn cold!

January 15, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

Living in NY you have to have at least 2 coats. I have a charcoal grey one hat I like but it is more for the fall. When it gets in the 30′s and 40′s here – you really need to wear one of those puffy ones. I have a black one that I wear almost daily. When it snows I have a choice of 2 that look like ski jackets. I really don’t like either – that’s why I just save them for the rare snow days.

By next year it will be time to get a new one.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Challenge – Week 2 – Black & WhiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

I don’t have a puffy coat, but I know that you need them back east. I’ve seen them and thought about it but “cold” here is when it’s in the 50′s. I actually like the look, but I just don’t need one.

18. Jenn Cummings
    February 1, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Great photos! Love that jacket, too!
    Jenn Cummings recently posted..Snag My StyleMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 3, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Hi Jean! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I’m so glad you like the outfit.

19. Rocquelle February 6, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Very lovely outfit Heather!! You have amazing photography.
    Rocquelle recently posted..No SewMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Thank you Rocquelle. My husband is a genius behind the lens.