A few years ago Balmain sent models down the runway wearing studded, shredded, embellished versions of the iconic biker jacket. I’ve wanted one ever since. After turning down dozens for problems with fit or fabrication, I finally found one at the Gap that looked just right. Now that it’s finally cold enough to wear leather I find myself reaching for it almost every day. I like to wear mine with jeans, or a black dress, but there are lots and lots of ways to wear this iconic piece. Here are ten posts from around the web that inspire me.
- I never knew how versatile a classic black leather biker jacket could be. It looks equally great when paired with zebra stripes or a classic check tweed.
- Park and Cube never ceases to amaze me with her gorgeous photos and elegant but edgy personal style. I don’t know how or why this combination of puffy vest, motorcycle jacket and a pencil skirt looks good, but it does.
- Big hair, skinny red skirt, leather jacket. Need I say more?
- The Sartorialist has been thinking about, and photographing, biker jackets on the streets of New York.
- A big poofy updo get’s a rockabilly vibe when paired with a motorcycle jacket.
- As the moto trend makes it way through our lives I’m seeing a lot more than the classic black leather versions. How about one in grey tweed? I think it looks really great.
- In Paris they wear them in electric blue, with tulle. Don’t ask. Just look.
- The girl in this street style wears her black leather motorcycle jacket with bold black and white stripe cropped slacks. Cool.
- We’ve seen lots of daytime looks topped with motorcycle jackets, but how about wearing one in the evening? Here’s a classic leather jacket paired with a full skirt for a fun twist on a classic evening look.
- Nee more inspiration? Check out my motorcycle jacket board on Pinterest. I’m always updating it with new looks and ideas.
I really have worn my biker jacket a lot recently, and because I like to photograph outfits I really wear you’ll be seeing a lot of my favorite jacket here soon.
What do you think of the classic biker jacket? Is it a trend you like? Do you have one? How do you wear it?