The Leather Motorcycle Jacket in Fashion

Motorcycle jacketA few years ago Balmain sent models down the runway wearing studded, shredded, embellished versions of the iconic leather motorcycle jacket. They’ve been a hot fashion trend ever since. I can’t afford the Balmain biker jacket, but that didn’t keep me from looking everywhere for one in my price range. After turning down dozens for problems with fit or fabrication, I finally found one at the Gap that looked just right. Now that it’s finally cold enough to wear leather I find myself reaching for it almost every day. I like to wear mine with jeans, or a black dress, but there are lots and lots of ways to wear this iconic piece. Here are ten posts from around the web that inspire me.

Ten Ways to Wear a Leather Motorcycle Jacket

1. I never knew how versatile a classic black leather biker jacket could be. It looks equally great when paired with zebra stripes or a classic check tweed.
  2. Park and Cube never ceases to amaze me with her gorgeous photos and elegant but edgy personal style. I don’t know how or why this combination of puffy vest, motorcycle jacket and a pencil skirt looks good, but it does.
  3. Big hair, skinny red skirt, leather jacket. Need I say more?
  4. The Sartorialist has been thinking about, and photographing, biker jackets on the streets of New York.
  5. big poofy updo get’s a rockabilly vibe when paired with a motorcycle jacket.
  6. As the moto trend makes it way through our lives I’m seeing a lot more than the classic black leather versions. How about one in grey tweed? I think it looks really great.
  7. In Paris they wear them in electric blue, with tulle. Don’t ask. Just look.
  8. The girl in this street style wears her black leather motorcycle jacket with bold black and white stripe cropped slacks. Cool.
  9. We’ve seen lots of daytime looks topped with motorcycle jackets, but how about wearing one in the evening? Here’s a classic leather jacket paired with a full skirt for a fun twist on a classic evening look.
  10. Nee more inspiration? Check out my motorcycle jacket board on Pinterest. I’m always updating it with new looks and ideas.

You don’t need to own a motorcycle to like the look. The classic leather motorcycle jacket is very much in fashion these days.

Shop the Look!

Here are a few of my favorite leather motorcycle jackets for women. Enjoy!

(Disclosure: Affiliate links are embedded in the widget below. If you click on an image it will take you to a shopping site. Thank you for your support!)

What do you think of the classic biker jacket? Is it a trend you like? Do you have one? How do you wear it?

, , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to The Leather Motorcycle Jacket in Fashion

1. Pam
    January 14, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Love the post with all of the links and you look amazing in the jacket and scarf! have a wonderful day!!
    Pam recently posted..Colored Denim and Leggings…Bring Them On!My Profile

2. Marlene January 14, 2013 at 6:14 am #

I’m a huge fan of biker jackets. I’ve got the style in leather, wool and sweatshirt material. It’s flattering, comfortable and packs a lot of oomph without a lot of effort. Off to check on your links.

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Hi Marlene. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love the biker jacket look in other fabrics too. Right now I have to stop spending money though, so I’m going to have to stop at classic black leather.

3. Jacque
    January 14, 2013 at 6:40 am #

I don’t currently own one – but the most has motivated me to go get one – very stylish.

4. amanda January 14, 2013 at 9:11 am #

nothing beats a go-to leather jacket and its great how much you can remix it!!!

amanda
    amanda recently posted..anti-mimesis (bitch stole my look).My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Hi Amanda. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Glad you like the look.

5. Shanti January 14, 2013 at 11:04 am #

love the blogs you pointed out! a good biker jacket is always stylish, my latest one is from Urban Outfitters :)

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Cool! You’ll have to do a photo shoot with your new one. I’d like to see!

6. anne the SpyGirl
    January 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Brrrr, you look cold up there! Cold yet oh so chic!

Fun links. I’ve never had a biker jacket and haven’t craved one. Enjoy looking at how it constantly gets restyled and reinvented though. I’ll go check out your pinterest STAT!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Feeling Plaid MagicMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:10 am #

I know the trend will go away one day but right now it’s hot, so I have to enjoy before it’s out out out!

7. Shybiker January 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

There’s nothing cooler than a biker jacket. Then again, I ride motorcycles so of course I think that! You look GREAT.
    Shybiker recently posted..Fun In PhillyMy Profile

8. Kiki January 14, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

I love biker jackets. I have one in white and am just about to putchase a classic black one, but I can’t decide on the brand yet. I want it to be well made and comfortable. I hope I manage to settle on one.
    Kiki recently posted..New FavouritesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:08 am #

I suggest you save a little money and buy one in leather, if you’re OK with wearing animal skins. I have two vinyl jackets that make my skin crawl now. The real thing is so much nicer!

9. Paula January 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

Love your jacket! I have tried on MANY and i have not found one yet that has been flattering. course I was with a friend, and I made her buy 2 that looked fantastic on her!

Love, Love love this trend–will check out your pinterest board!
    Paula recently posted..Classic, Crazy and CoutureMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 11:08 am #

It took me forever to find this one from the Gap. I kept trying them on and they were usually too roomy or too tight through the bust. Keep trying you’ll find one!

10. Marla January 15, 2013 at 3:44 am #

I have a leather biker jacket and really love it. I can dress it up or down. Love your wonderful leopard scarf. This outfit is so hip.

11. Gabriala
    January 15, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Heather, I used to LIVE in my black leather jacket when I was in my 20′s. I switched to brown after that. This post reminds me of how much I love the leather jacket and that it works with just about everything. Feeling inspired. xo
    Gabriala recently posted..A Different Life AheadMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 10:48 am #

So glad the post inspired you Gabriala. I had a black leather jacket I lived in back then too. I still have it, and like it, but I never wear it anymore. OH well.

12. Mary Jo
    January 15, 2013 at 8:55 am #

So funny, my black biker jacket, denim shirt, leopard scarf have been my daily staple for the past few months, and pretty much what I wore every day in London as well. Obviously I’m loving your outfit! Hope you had a happy New Year Heather and are enjoying this week!
    Mary Jo recently posted..the missing linkMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 15, 2013 at 10:47 am #

Great minds think alike Mary Jo! The other day I was wearing the nail polish you gave me and kept thinking about you. I hope you had a great time in London.

13. No fear of fashion January 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

I think the biker jacket is an evergreen. Will always come back in the spotlight. And even if it is out of the spotlight it is still perfect. But at the age of nearly 59 I pass. Black leather makes me twice as old. I will just look at your pictures with the perfect jacket and enjoy that. Must have been so thrilling when you finally found the right one.
    No fear of fashion recently posted..Multicoloured dressMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Thank you Greetje, it was fabulous when I found it! Especially because although it cost more than I like to spend on anything, I knew it was a classic and that it would be worth it. I also had a 40% off coupon. That helped. (:

January 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I have a biker jacket from about 20 years ago! I haven’t worn it in so long. Now I feel like it weighs a ton and is way too bulky. Can’t believe I even wore it!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Challenge – Week 2 – Black & WhiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

The biker jacket I have isn’t a real motorcycle jacket, it’s a little lightweight soft leather thing. Perfect for LA weather honestly, but not for actually riding on a motorcycle. You probably had the real thing!

15. Jamillah January 17, 2013 at 7:22 am #

LOVE THIS Links in Style edition!!! I am a huuuuuge fan of the moto jacket. Slightly embarrassing confession, I own 3: denim, checkered print, and khaki. I just think they’re so versatile and I love wearing them as blazers in the colder months.

You look great in yours and beautiful images per usual :).
    Jamillah recently posted..Ethical Finds in Pantone’s Color of 2013My Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 19, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

Aw thanks Jamillah! I wish I had more biker jackets. A khaki one sound very, very cool.

16. Pam January 19, 2013 at 6:18 am #

My cycle jacket is a weighty ponte knit. Love the idea of wearing it over a party dress. And I agree about the classic chambray shirt. Perfect combo.

• Heather Fonseca January 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

I love the knit biker jackets. They look so comfortable but chic. I’m glad you liked the links.