A few years ago Balmain sent models down the runway wearing studded, shredded, embellished versions of the iconic leather motorcycle jacket. They’ve been a hot fashion trend ever since. I can’t afford the Balmain biker jacket, but that didn’t keep me from looking everywhere for one in my price range. After turning down dozens for problems with fit or fabrication, I finally found one at the Gap that looked just right. Now that it’s finally cold enough to wear leather I find myself reaching for it almost every day. I like to wear mine with jeans, or a black dress, but there are lots and lots of ways to wear this iconic piece. Here are ten posts from around the web that inspire me.
Ten Ways to Wear a Leather Motorcycle Jacket
- I never knew how versatile a classic black leather biker jacket could be. It looks equally great when paired with zebra stripes or a classic check tweed.
- Park and Cube never ceases to amaze me with her gorgeous photos and elegant but edgy personal style. I don’t know how or why this combination of puffy vest, motorcycle jacket and a pencil skirt looks good, but it does.
- Big hair, skinny red skirt, leather jacket. Need I say more?
- The Sartorialist has been thinking about, and photographing, biker jackets on the streets of New York.
- A big poofy updo get’s a rockabilly vibe when paired with a motorcycle jacket.
- As the moto trend makes it way through our lives I’m seeing a lot more than the classic black leather versions. How about one in grey tweed? I think it looks really great.
- In Paris they wear them in electric blue, with tulle. Don’t ask. Just look.
- The girl in this street style wears her black leather motorcycle jacket with bold black and white stripe cropped slacks. Cool.
- We’ve seen lots of daytime looks topped with motorcycle jackets, but how about wearing one in the evening? Here’s a classic leather jacket paired with a full skirt for a fun twist on a classic evening look.
- Nee more inspiration? Check out my motorcycle jacket board on Pinterest. I’m always updating it with new looks and ideas.
You don’t need to own a motorcycle to like the look. The classic leather motorcycle jacket is very much in fashion these days.
Shop the Look!
Here are a few of my favorite leather motorcycle jackets for women. Enjoy!
(Disclosure: Affiliate links are embedded in the widget below. If you click on an image it will take you to a shopping site. Thank you for your support!)
What do you think of the classic biker jacket? Is it a trend you like? Do you have one? How do you wear it?