The Importance of Fashion Accessories

Fashion Accessories

One of the things I’ve noticed about fashionable women is that it’s not just their clothes that look great, their outfits are always punctuated with great accessories. Often great style is in the details.

Like fashion itself, the shapes, silhouettes and colors of accessories change with the times. Usually the coolest new looks are the hardest to find, but that trendy handbag or fresh from the runway necklace style can be combined with older clothes to create an outfit that looks new and fresh. For instance, emerald green is the color of 2013, but a pretty green stone necklace is a lot easier to wear than bright green trousers. Investing in some fun, new, trendy accessories can update your wardrobe for the season even if the current crop of fashion trends aren’t to your taste.

Navy blue patent leather purse

Handbags That Do More Than Hold Your Money

Purses don’t just hold the things you need, they complete your look. During the week I usually carry a basic black leather purse, but on the weekend I choose a purse based on what I’m wearing. A fun purse with interesting details can add some excitement to a simple outfit. A chic clutch bag can make jeans and a t-shirt look daring.

Black sandals

Shoes, Sandals and Boots

No, your shoes do not have to match your handbag. In fact, the coolest shoes these days are really wild and crazy. Spikes, studs, straps, color blocking, mesh, and jewels have all found their way to our feet. Personally I have a thing for cut-outs, multi-straps and kitten heels.

Colorful scarf

Scarves Are For All Ages

It seems that every one has their own ideas about how to use scarves. Some people wear them as belts. Some people tie them around the strap of their handbag. Others drape them casually around their shoulders and some wear them only as outerwear for warmth. Any way you wear them scarves are great accessories. I like to add a scarf to an otherwise simple outfit to give it some some color and pattern.

Gold chain bracelet

Jewelry

Most women agree that jewelry should be a part of every outfit. I wear a lot of costume jewelry, but fine jewelry can be a statement as well. Some of the newer trends for early 2013 include black gold jewelry and black diamonds. Examples of these trends can be found at Front Jewelers. Personally I don’t have much black jewelry, but I’d like more. Black goes with almost everything, and it’s so mysterious.

PlaidDress-9

*Consideration was received for the editing and publishing of this post.

Do you have your eye on any new fashion accessories this year?

, , , , , , ,

37 Responses to The Importance of Fashion Accessories

1. Playing with Scarves January 23, 2013 at 4:01 am #

Women should always choose carefully the “accessories” they wear: they are the miracle touch which will enhance the simplest outfit and bring harmony to it.
    No need to say the SCARF is a major one !
    xo
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I can’t think scarf without thinking of you! Also love the photos of yourself that you’re sharing on your blog. Keep it up! It’s totally inspirational.

2. Pam
    January 23, 2013 at 4:41 am #

I have to admit to being a bit of an accessory addict. It is a great way to add personal style and creative flair to a wardrobe for reasonable costs. But I also will confess, that I reacently purchased a pair of emerald green pants during the after Christmas sales…I had a great coupon!!

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Cupon and emerald green pants sound great to me! I do have an emerald green jacket that I got at the Goodwill for around $5. I wear it almost like an accessory. It’s a statement into itself.

3. Marla January 23, 2013 at 8:26 am #

This is a great post and I totally agree. Accessories can really bring out the best in an outfit. As long as they are not overdone.

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

That’s very true. You do have to choose your accessories to balance the outfit.

4. amanda January 23, 2013 at 9:33 am #

With you 100%. levis and a hanes tshirt with killer accessories can be editorial. Love this post.

amanda
    amanda recently posted..she’s is a full-on monet.My Profile

5. nofearoffashion January 23, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Oh yes…. accessories are the things I NEED. Personally I am a big necklace fan. But really everything to adorn me is good. Bags, jewellery, scarfs, belts,… you name it.
    I saw some fine examples in your photos. And my magpie-eyes saw your beautiful ring in the last photo…. lovely!
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Black poncho, cream trousersMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you Greetje. My father gave me that ring. I love it. (:

6. Tracey
    January 23, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Great piece. I have always been someone who likes to play with accessories. Although I will be the first to admit I didn’t come around to “purses” until my late 20s. I have always been a lover of scarves, broaches, necklaces, etc. I am relying more and more on thrift, vintage or local artisans lately. I like adding a bit of a vintage feel to my outfits, and find accessories is an easy way to do that.

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Hi Tracey, so glad you like the article. I have been into fashion for as long as I can remember, with purses and shoes high on the list, but I don’t remember there being such a focus on accessories in the past. It feels like the accents to the outfit become more and more important every year.

7. anne the SpyGirl
    January 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

I am a scarf addict. And my silver rings never come off.

Speaking of black diamonds, my good friend, Chloe Bernbach, designs really cool pieces with the diamonds set in reverse, so they look spiky.
    bernbachstudio.com/
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Granny Squared, Doubled DownMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Anne, that sounds very cool! I have to check those out.

8. ThriftyGurl Boutique January 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

I really like this post. Accessories are an amazing way to make your outfit pop. I really like what you did with this post. The pix are amazing.

Kat
    ThriftyGurl Boutique recently posted..Today is Inauguration Day – Why Not be ChicMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 23, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Hi Thrifty Gurl! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I’m so glad you like the post!

9. Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud
    January 24, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Scarves are the new it bag.
    Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud recently posted..Picture Perfect: Local ColorMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 25, 2013 at 11:55 am #

LOL. Is it OK if I totally steal your quote?

10. Alexis Grace January 24, 2013 at 11:25 am #

I’ve always really respected the power of accessories to make a look more personal! And there are so many options out there! Lately I have been playing with a lot of hair accessories….
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Chanel Spring 2013 Couture CollectionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 25, 2013 at 11:55 am #

Hair accessories were so hot when I was young. Then they all but disappeared, and now they’re coming back. If you like them do them now!

11. mystyle January 25, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Hi there- a great post and accessories really do make an outfit, I am into red at the moment so any future buys will be this colour to fit in with existing pieces!

• Heather Fonseca January 25, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Hi Mystyle! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I too LOVE red, and am wearing a lot of lipstick in that color right now. It would be nice to have a red purse too.

12. Shanti January 26, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Couldn’t agree with you more, accessories make or break an outfit! love your jewels with the plaid shirt, and those black sandals are amazing! I also love hats, I’m wearing a neat vintage hat in my latest outfit post 🙂

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:19 am #

I’m so behind on my blog reading Shanti! But I’ll check out your hat soon. I’m sure it’s very fab. (:

13. Adiel
    January 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

I couldn’t agree more. A great accessory can make or break an outfit!
    Adiel recently posted..Sneaker SurpriseMy Profile

January 27, 2013 at 4:25 am #

I posted this on Google+ because I agree that a lot of people fail to take accessories seriously. They’ll spend money on clothes and just fail to accessorise. But good accessories can transform your outfit and are an easy way to dabble in trends. The example about emerald green is a perfect one; if it’s only going to be hot for one season then why spend $100 on an Emerald jacket or piece of clothing that may last you one season?

Grab a scarf for $20 and then it doesn’t matter if you keep it for 12 months.

I do think though that in the last couple of season there is a trend for everyone, whether it’s one of the key trends or a micro-trend it’s almost at the point of ‘anything goes’ now.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..The Definitive Ladies Spring Summer 2013 Trend ReportMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 28, 2013 at 10:19 am #

It feels like it’s “anything goes”, but I don’t think that’s really true. There are always shapes that are “in” and shapes that are “out”. Having said that I do think women have more options now than maybe ever before. In terms of accessories it really is anything goes. High heels, low heels (if you can find them) or flats, they’re all perfectly acceptable. As are scarves in all colors and all kinds of jewelry. I’m so glad you like the post Arash! Thanks so much for sharing it on Google.

January 27, 2013 at 4:44 pm #

I love the color green but not sure if emerald is a shade I really love. I have seen that this is a hot color for Spring. I may have to try something I like your accessory ideas to ease into it.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 4 – DisgustingMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 28, 2013 at 10:13 am #

I hope you find something wonderful in Emerald to test the waters. It’s supposed to be THE color for 2013.

16. Jewelers Connecticut March 15, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Your post really helps me to work easily. Thanks for providing such important information.

17. Jenny Thomson April 3, 2013 at 1:17 am #

I can’t live without earrings. I wear earrings everyday.
    And your ideal of wearing green stone necklace instead of bright green trousers is great!!!

18. Arpana Modi December 3, 2015 at 3:55 am #

Scarf is amazing and also everything in this post looks very great to have but scarf is very amazing ..!!

19. Jacob February 19, 2016 at 3:03 am #

Just amazing, all of these fashion accessories are so nice. Yes it’s very important to wear right type of fashion accessories with an outfit to match the overall look perfect. By reading this post anyone will gain great knowledge about fashion sense.

1. Colored Diamonds as an Alternative to the Traditional | barber7lotion - April 16, 2013

[…] black diamond rings […]