A Silk Scarf

Silk scarfA few weeks ago WomenClothingToday.com asked if I would like to review one of their hand-painted silk scarves. If you’ve followed my blog for a while you’ll know that I love fashion accessories. A colorful scarf, handbag, or shoes lend some flair to a simple outfit. Scarves are unique because they can also add a fun print to whatever you’re wearing, and I love how a carefully selected printed scarf can be worn with a  printed dress to make the look even more interesting.  So I agreed to try one of their scarves and chose one called “Midnight Poppy”.

According to their website each scarf is individually hand painted on high quality silk using eco-friendly dyes. I cannot vouch for the dyes, but the scarf is beautiful, and I was taken by the gentle colors and soft, luxurious fabric. It is a long rectangle, which is slightly unusual for me as I usually wear square scarves. I tied it around my neck over a black silk blouse and black blazer where it stayed without difficulty. It seems a rectangular silk scarf is very well-behaved, though it did flutter delightfully in the breeze.

There was one surprise when I first saw the scarf. In the photo it looked black, but in real life it is navy blue. This doesn’t bother me as navy is a softer color to wear near the face, but it would be prudent to check the colors of the scarf in the description before purchasing.

Teal jeans, black blazer

Silk scarf

Silk scarf

*Disclosure: The scarf was a gift, but all opinions and thoughts are my own. I was not paid to publish this review.

Wearing:

• Silk scarf from WomenClothingToday.com
  • Black blazer by Ann Taylor
  • Black silk blouse from Gilt.com
  • Teal jeans by Mother
  • Black clutch from Nordstrom
  • Black pumps from Nine West

What is your favorite way to wear a silk scarf?

, , , ,

30 Responses to A Silk Scarf

1. nofearoffashion January 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Very pretty. You just gave me an idea for an outfit. So simple yet so effective.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Brown sheer skirt, part 3 en lastMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 25, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

That’s the beauty of personal style blogs. We give each other ideas! I’m glad you like my look.

2. Pam
    January 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

You look very pretty in this scarf!! You styled it perfectly! Have a great weekend!!
    Pam recently posted..It’s The Little Things…And How To Handle Them!My Profile

3. Shybiker January 25, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Beautiful scarf. You look so sophisticated and chic.
    Shybiker recently posted..How To Keep WarmMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Thank you shy biker! I was really happy with the outfit. Maybe I’ll wear something similar today. All the magazines are showing blazers for Spring, though usually in bright colors and stripes.

4. Marla January 26, 2013 at 4:47 am #

That scarf is lovely! I love your teal jeans also.

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Thanks Marla. I love the color on my teal jeans, but they’re really low rise so I have a hard time wearing them sometimes. They really need a loose top, otherwise I get the dreaded muffin top.

5. DressCode:HighFashion
    January 26, 2013 at 5:48 am #

Wow, hard to believe this precision is hand-painted…great scarf anyway. Loving the way you wear it!

Have a nice weekend, dear.

Best, Jen

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:27 am #

It’s rather watercolory in person. Glad you like the look!

6. Shanti January 26, 2013 at 7:10 am #

love the drama of the sky scrapers. Your nail polish is awesome!

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Thanks! I didn’t mention nail polish in my accessories post, but pretty nails definitely add to an outfit too. That was one of Mary Jo Matsumoto’s colors. Love it.

7. Spashionista (Alicia)
    January 26, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Lovely scarf, and it looks wonderful on you. You’re long and lean so you pull off that large print very well. I’m very petite so I’d need to opt for a smaller scale, but it’s a great way to add the floral trend into your wardrobe without looking like the dreaded Laura Ashley dresses from the ’90’s!
    Spashionista (Alicia) recently posted..Fashion Friday: Out Damned SpotMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I definitely gravitate toward large-scale prints, but I like small prints too. I thought the Laura Ashley thing was more 80’s?

8. Mary Jo
    January 26, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Hi Heather, love the way you’re wearing the scarf with your blazer, it’s super pretty + big poppies are right on trend for spring. I’m terrible at wearing silk scarves in any sort of creative way, but wear a thin leopard print one wool one with my leather jacket almost every day.Hope you’re having a great weekend!

• Heather Fonseca January 26, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Thanks Mary Jo! Did you recognize my nail polish? I’m not very creative with my scarves, but I like them looped around my neck for warmth.

9. Playing with Scarves January 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

What a beautiful scarf! I like the way you tied it on the second photo. Simple and elegant!
    xo
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

• Heather Fonseca January 28, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Thank you so much! I have to get more inventive with scarf tying. Your site is really inspiring me!

10. Adiel
    January 26, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

The pattern on that scarf is beautiful!
    Adiel recently posted..Sneaker SurpriseMy Profile

11. Annette January 27, 2013 at 12:56 am #

Beautiful scarf!
    I think it is really versatile and goes well paired with jeans and a blazer during the day but also with a monochrome dress for going out at night.
    Love from Germany,
    Annette
    Annette recently posted..Printed Blue SkirtMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 28, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Thanks Annette! Glad you like it.

12. A Brit Greek
    January 27, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Loving everything about this outfit, from the green jeans to the beautiful print on your scarf, just gorgeous.
    Must say, I am going gaga for that black cuff of yours (previous posts) too!

p.s your hair looks a lot longer in this post! Mine’s growing too!
    x.o.x.o

January 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

I don’t wear silk scarves but you are right – even in your photo it looks black.
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 4 – DisgustingMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca January 28, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Yeah, it’s definitely navy, or midnight blue.

14. Alexis Grace January 27, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

I wear scarves, but haven’t ventured into one with a major print — yet! This looks great on you!!!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Chanel Spring 2013 Couture CollectionMy Profile

15. Jessi March 5, 2014 at 7:52 am #

I’m loving that scarf. I think you could get real imaginative with it if you wanted to.