Ten Ways to Wear Boyfriend Jeans

Boyfriend jeansBoyfriend jeans are one of my favorite denim fashion trends. This summer I purchased a pair of 7 For All Mankind Josefina Skinny Boyfriend Jeans on sale. The big, slouchy, comfortable-looking rolled jeans intrigued me, but I had no idea if I’d ever wear them. Well, I did, and I do, CONSTANTLY. In fact I like my boyfriend jeans so much a new pair is on my “to buy” list, maybe in a darker wash. The best thing about these jeans are their versatility. Boyfriend jeans are naturally casual, but they can be dressed up too. In these photos I’m wearing my slouchy jeans with my favorite Gap black t-shirt and a pair of Sketchers flats. If you were to stop by my house on an average weekday this is how I would probably look. It’s my everyday uniform. Even though I wear the jeans in a casual way during the day, I love dressing them up with pumps and a pretty blouse like I did in this post. Honestly, my take on the boyfriend jeans trend is pretty basic, but there are lots and lots of way to wear them. I’ve found ten of my favorite looks from around the web and listed them below for your viewing pleasure. See anything you like?

Ten Fabulous Outfits with Boyfriend Jeans

1. Casual rolled jeans look great with a long black vest and color blocked sweater, especially when you add in some leopard print pumps.
  2. Camel coat, denim jacket and heels make this New Yorker’s outfit casual yet very chic.
  3. Denim looks great with red. If you pair your boyfriend jeans with a big statement necklace, red coat and matching pumps you’ll have a great outfit. But don’t take my word for it. Go look!
  4. A big patterned coat is an elegant foil to these unrolled casual jeans.
  5. Baggy, distressed, rolled jeans get a tough vibe with the addition of a black leather motorcycle jacket and black heels. The cat t-shirt is cute too.
  6. Oh sure, boyfriend jeans look great when paired with heels and a tiny T-shirt, but what about wearing them in the winter, when it’s cold? Here’s a great winter look with boyfriend jeans, boots and a big coat.
  7. Here’s another cold weather outfit with boyfriend jeans, flats and a pea coat.
  8. I always worry about wearing cropped pants with tights. Does it look weird? Maybe on me it does, but on Fashion Addict it looks pretty fabulous. Maybe the sky-high platforms help?
  9. Looking for a more casual, whimsical take on the trend? Why not pair your jeans with an animal motif sweater?
  10. How about boyfriend jeans in the snow?

Want even more inspiration? Check out my Pinterest board devoted to the subject of boyfriend jeans.

Me and My Boyfriend Jeans

Boyfriend jeans

Boyfriend jeans

Boyfriend jeans

I’m wearing-

(Disclosure: I purchased all the clothes I’m wearing in this post with my own money and was not paid for the article, however there is are affiliate links below. If you click on and image or text link I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!)

Shop Boyfriend Jeans!

There are so many different washes, cuts, styles and amounts of distressing on boyfriend jeans out there. Literally something for every shape, style and budget. Here are a few options. Click on the photo for more information and prices.

So have you jumped into the boyfriend jeans trend yet? How do you wear yours?

Like what you see? Follow me!

BloglovinFacebook - TwitterPinterestInstagram

, , , , ,

26 Responses to Ten Ways to Wear Boyfriend Jeans

1. Marla February 6, 2013 at 2:01 am #

I love 7 For All Mankind Jeans. They are so long, great for taller women. These look so cute.

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

I’m liking 7FAM too, but I also have a pair of “Hudson” jeans, not yet shown on the blog, that fit really well. J Brand is my usual. They’re also long, and the fit is really great for me.

2. mystyle February 6, 2013 at 4:40 am #

Hi there-being a denim addict with a denim blog as well, I adore boyfriend jeans-yours are amazing and look gorgeous! I love 7FAM jeans, they fit well and have a great cut-fabulous post too xx
    mystyle recently posted..ThriftMyStyle…Mixing modern and vintage + navy and whiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Oh, the high-price jeans definitely have it when it comes to fit. Wish they were more affordable, but then I’d probably need an extra closet!

3. Pam
    February 6, 2013 at 4:43 am #

Great ideas! I do not have a pair of boyfriend jeans, but these ideas certainly make a purchase more attractive!! Great work!
    Pam recently posted..I AM JUST AMAZED!!!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Thanks Pam. Glad you like the looks. Let me know if it inspires you to try some on and how it goes.

4. Suzanne February 6, 2013 at 5:24 am #

I thought boyfriend jeans would just make me look like a fat slob, but finally I don’t think they do. I do prefer mine with heels though, otherwise I find that they can shorten my frame.

There is nothing more classic than jeans and a t.

bisous
    Suzanne
    Suzanne recently posted..1960’s Sparkle Go Go GirlMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Yeah, I like my jeans with heels too. They definitely add something. I, too, thought BF jeans would look horrid on me. I was pleasantly surprised when they didn’t.

5. brookemeagan February 6, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Those are some great jeans! I’m a big fan of boyfriend jeans myself. They’re the pants equivalent to my favorite comfy tee. I just love how effortless and versatile they are. Not to mention comfortable! I really enjoyed clicking through all of the pictures for some Wednesday morning inspiration. XO
    brookemeagan recently posted..Mackage OLIAMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Hi Brooke! Glad you enjoyed the post. I’m sure you look gorgeous in boyfriend jeans. You look gorgeous in everything!

6. Annette February 6, 2013 at 11:16 am #

You look as young as a teenager!!
    I have one pair of boyfriend jeans but always feel they are a bit bulky, probably just not the right fit for me.
    I love your styling where you dressed them up with a blouse and heels.

Annette
    Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..Party à la françaiseMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Thanks Annette! You’re so sweet. I think the new “boyfriend” jeans can be cut in a very flattering manner, but it seems like the ones with the best fit are more pricey. I did try on some very cute jeans at Target the other day, so maybe that’s changing. Keep looking!

7. anne the SpyGirl
    February 6, 2013 at 11:36 am #

I don’t really get “boyfriend” jeans because I wear actual mens jeans!
    I’ve done it for years!
    I wore mens Levi’s 501s from 1973(?) until I got too, um, zaftig.
    It was de rigueur in the 70s.

My latest pair cost $8 from Target. They will win no style prizes, but they’re functional.
    I don’t wear jeans for fashion these days — too lazy/broke to find a pair that fits properly.
    I’m more of a skirt girl.

These black and white photos are STUNNING!
    Looking good, my dear!
    Be sure to send Hugo my complements!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..I Am the Dowager PRINTcessMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

Thank you Anne. My body just won’t work with Men’s jeans. I tried back in the late 80’s. It wasn’t a good look on my bod, but the new “designer” jeans and their lycra/spandex components means that jeans now look really good on me. Yea!

8. Marlene February 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Heather, I’m beyond flattered to be included on your list of favorite outfits. Thank you so much!
    Marlene recently posted..Sneak Peak Inside A Friend’s HandbagMy Profile

9. Jeannie
    February 6, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Nothing better than a great pair of jeans! Love your bf jeans & T…simplicity at its best!
    Jeannie recently posted..iPad & Gray SuedeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

I love your denim/jeans outfits. It’s proof that women over 40 can wear jeans and look chic!

10. Alexis Grace February 6, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

I love my BF jeans…. I am thinking of making them part of my next outfit post (FINALLY feel enough like me to take some photos…)

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

I can’t wait to see some new outfit posts on North on Harper Alexis!

11. Shanti February 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

oh I love these photos of you with the toned black and white. I love that link you gave with the red H&M sweater, love it!!!!

12. nicole February 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

I love this look Heather and it looks fantastic on you. I am trying to spend as little as possible on clothes in the short to medium term but a pair of similar boyfriend jeans is definitely very very tempting. You have the best fashion blog ever- just say’n…

• Heather Fonseca February 8, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Aw, thanks Nicole! So glad you like my little creative project. As for boyfriend jeans, they can probably be found at thrift stores too. It might take a little looking to find just the right pair, but I don’t think this is a look that requires a lot of money.

February 11, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I love jeans any which way and would love to get these but I feel the looser I wear my jeans, the frumpier I look and feel heavy.

I may have to try ti though because I love to be comfortable!

Looks like you lost more weight!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 6 – FriendshipMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca February 12, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

I know it seems like boyfriend jeans SHOULD be frumpy, after all they’re baggy and stuff, but because the silhouette looks new it tends to look fresh rather than frumpy. Right now flares look really frumpy to me (unless they’re on a 20 year old of course)because it’s an older style. If you pair the jeans with cool shoes and a fitted top it should look very cool and hip. Try it and see if you can make it work!