Under a bridge in the Los Angeles Arts District

Black denim jacket, denim pencil skirtWhat does one wear to visit the ultra-hipster neighborhood called the “Arts District”? Chic lofts carved out of old factories and artist’s studios fill this once industrial area just east downtown Los Angeles. I’ve personally never seen so many photographers out with models in one area ever. My husband and I fit right it! We stopped under a bridge to take some shots before heading out to one of the cool little cafes that dot the area.

Silk scarf

Los Angeles Arts District

Brown purse

Los Angeles Arts District

If it looks like I’m wearing a lot of the same clothes I wore on my vacation to San Francisco it’s because I am. I’m still living out of a duffel bag but I’m hoping to have a more usable closet set up soon. No matter how organized I make my new mini closet it will only hold about a quarter of my clothes, so I’m planning my even-smaller-than-before closet strategy. Right now it’s looking like a lot of denim, black and white, with some tan and red accents thrown in for fun. I’m also thinking about adding in some bright green. It does sound a little boring though. Sigh.

Wearing:

• Lee black denim jacket stolen from my husband’s closet
  • Splendid black knit top
  • Faux Chanel watch that once belonged to my Grandmother
  • Thrifted printed silk scarf
  • J-Crew denim pencil skirt
  • Black boots by Lou

Have you been to the Arts District in Los Angeles? Is there a similar industrial-turned-hipster area where you live?

, , ,

24 Responses to Under a bridge in the Los Angeles Arts District

1. Annette March 6, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Very classy outfit, I love it!

I live on the countryside in a tourist region south of Munich without any industry.
    Munich is mainly IT and media business.

Annette
    Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..YELLOW & STRIPESMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Ah, but the country is beautiful too. There’s very little around here. Los Angeles ate it all up. There are some pretty parks though…

2. nofearoffashion March 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

You poor girl. Loving clothes and being restricted. But the photos look very nice.
    I first thougt you were wearing the scarf you demonstrated not so long ago. But I looked that post up and that one was with flowers. See… I am taking good notice.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Red short jacket and black & white skirtMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

I know Greetje. I call these “first world problems”. It’s OK. I’ll survive! I just hope none of my readers wander off in complete boredom by the monotony of denim, black, white with some tan and red. I’m bored already. Maybe I can stick in some pink?

3. Alexis Grace March 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

Yes— I ‘ve been to the Arts District! And what a fun setting for photos!!!

I am sorry that you are having to further decrease your wardrobe— but I am sure it will prove a fun experiment!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Saint Laurent Fall 2013 CollectionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

It’ll be a fun experiment for sure, and maybe I’ll have to buy some new pieces to round out my new basic mini wardrobe? Hmm. I like that idea.

4. anne the SpyGirl
    March 7, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Of course you fit right in! And looked better than most, I’m sure!

I think you should deploy your “all black” concept for the reduced outfit challenge.
    I’m considering that for when I crash the Lucky FABB events in a few weeks. Black is stealth, right?
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Los Angeles Fashion Council Fall 2013 Collections Day OneMy Profile

• anne the SpyGirl
      March 7, 2013 at 7:47 am #

Or maybe I’ll 1/2 dip dye something, like ISM Mode.

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Loved that ISM Mode skirt! It was dip-dyed too. Can’t wait to post on the fashion show. I’m all downtown-y these days.

• Heather Fonseca March 7, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Are you crashing Lucky Fabb Anne? I heard it was invitation only this year. I could easily do all black with what’s already in my closet, but I have to say I get sick of it pretty fast. Spring is approaching, and lots of color right along with it!

5. ODYSSEY
    March 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Very chic! You always look so classy.
    I’d love to live near an arts district. Our city doesn’t even have galleries! (Unless you count a non-profit and a couple of gift galleries.)

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Oh my dear you were made for an arts district! You would fit right in, much better than I for sure. I’ll have to get some cool Rick Owens something for my next trip there. (:

March 7, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

It kind of sounds like the meat packing district here in NY. Everyone is model-like looking!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 9 – IlluminateMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

I’m sure the meat packing district is MUCH cooler though!

7. Best Coupons March 8, 2013 at 1:57 am #

You look fab! Love your outfit & handbag!

8. Gerdien van de Gronden March 8, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

The scarf is “the” piece in this combination. nice!

9. THE-LOUDMOUTH
    March 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

I’m not sure if I’ve ever been to this area, but you look awesome and I love that scarf! This is one of my favorite sets of photos of yours.
    THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..Lessons :: The End of an EraMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 11, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

Stephanie you must go downtown and check out the area. It’s so cool! There’s also an Urth cafe, which is really tasty. If we go back for the art walk I’ll let you know.

10. Playing with Scarves March 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Beautiful scarf, Heather! You will never go wrong or boring with a scarf. There is no better way to zest an outfit!
    Don’t know the Arts District but it seems a wonderful spot for fashion photos. Yours are great as always.
    xo,
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

• Heather Fonseca March 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Thank you so much. I thought my little silk scarf really helped take an otherwise simple outfit to a new place, and I get so many ideas from your blog too!

11. O\'Brian March 11, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Looks great, like it! Scarf really very suitable here.

• Heather Fonseca March 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks so much! Glad you like the look.