LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 CollectionsLast week I did something I haven’t done in a long time: I went to a fashion show. Back in the 90’s I saw Jean Paul Gaultier and Lolita Lempicka, worked back stage at Cerruti 1881 and presented my own line of pale pink chiffon skirts and oversized hand-knit sweaters at my school’s fashion show. In 2012 I attending the Otis school of Art and Design fashion show so it really hasn’t been twenty years since I’ve been to one, but it still felt momentous watching the models strut by in full hair and makeup to the beat of carefully chosen music and the frenetic snap-snap-snap of many cameras.

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

The Los Angeles Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 fashion shows took place over two days in a sleek renovated storefront in the garment district here in downtown Los Angeles. The fashion shows “…were designed to provide a legitimate platform for L.A designers, press and buyers to converge and celebrate L.A talent.” There is a lot of talent in fashion here in LA, but it’s such a big city it can be overwhelming to find it. I was excited to be invited and I wasn’t disappointed. The shows were intimate, nothing like the massive performances put on in Paris, but I enjoyed the scene regardless.

The Scene

There were two things I didn’t recognize from my time in Paris: Cell phones and wild outfits. Both were in heavy use, with some local fashionistas coming dressed to the nines in truly wonderful ensembles for the event. I don’t need to tell you they were popular with the photographers.

LA Fashion CouncilThe bloggers at the Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

Photographing the LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

Attending the LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

The Shows

Due to a scheduling conflict I only saw three of the five shows, and due to camera issues only photographed two, ISM Mode and Sarine Marie.

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

Inka Sherman, ISM Mode

ISM Mode felt organic and textural. The collection included wearable, casual knit tops and some more striking separates like the striped pants above. Dip dye and tie dye was evident on a number of pieces including the skirt below, which is dark on one side. It was my favorite piece in the collection.

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

Sarine Marie

According to the press release the Sarine Marie Fall/Winter 12-13 collection was inspired by lady-like silhouettes and tailored jackets. It certainly looked that way. The colors were mostly soft and pretty, but my favorite piece was a simple yet carefully constructed sheath dress with a dramatic ruffle sleeve.

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

LA Fashion Council Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

I want that dress in my closet!

I’m not sure what was more fun, meeting fellow Los Angeles fashion bloggers or watching the shows. It was a fabulous day and a wonderful opportunity to come out and support local fashion designers.

If you’d like to see more of the collections please check out these excellent reviews by A Sunny Day in LA: Los Angeles Fashion Council Collections Day 1 and Day 2. My good friend and fellow blogger Anne Bray of Spy Girl also posted images and sketches in her post on the collections.

Fashionable feet

Have you been to a fashion show? What inspired you more, the scene or the show?

17 Responses to Los Angeles designers and bloggers strut their stuff at the LAFC Fall/Winter 2013 Collections

1. nofearoffashion March 14, 2013 at 11:34 am #

I can see you had a fabulous time. Fun post.
    I have been to several fashion shows and was mostly surprised about how short they were. 15 to 30 minutes and it was over. The scene around the shows is nice, but there are only a few paradise birds in The Netherlands. Nothing too staggering. Still there was enough to feast your eyes.
    Had to laugh when I read: I want that dress in my closet!! So recognisable.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Black and white challengeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

I suppose the length of the show has to do with the amount of production money and how many clothes there are to show. These collections were relatively small, so the shows only lasted about 20 minutes each.

• nofearoffashion March 15, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Most of the times I go to upcoming designers too. The times I went to established designer, couturiers… Oh heaven. Well, not for your wallet.
        nofearoffashion recently posted..Black and white challengeMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 17, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Oh I know. The big designers are splendid, but they would be hell on the wallet. Unfortunately my wallet is too small for all of them! All I can do is look and enjoy with my eyes.

2. Amy March 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

It was great to finally meet you too!! Thanks so much for the link back to my blog. Hope to see at an event soon
    Amy recently posted..Day 2: Los Angeles Fashion Council CollectionsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

And thank YOU for the links to my blog as well. It was great meeting you and I look forward to seeing you at the next event.

3. Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud
    March 14, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

How fun! I love the opening pic- fantastic shot!
    Bella Q, The Citizen Rosebud recently posted..Bella + the Emerald CityMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 14, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks Bella. I had fun playing serious street-style photographer for a day!

4. Natalia March 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Must be wonderful to attend a fashion show (or 3). I must admit, shows themselves do more for me than the crowd, I find the latter too much because it often feels a lot like self-promotion rather than love for fashion or particular designer etc.
    x
    Natalia recently posted..Passion for fashion: 3 looks for less than £200My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 17, 2013 at 9:00 am #

The shows themselves can be really great, it’s true! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

5. anne the SpyGirl
    March 16, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Heather, great coverage of a really fun event. Kelsi did a FANTASTIC job.

I’m so glad you snagged a photo of the goddess in the audience in gold + denim! She fascinates me!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..EPIC LA Eco Fashion Show. part 1My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 17, 2013 at 8:54 am #

The goddess in gold was really a goddess. I wonder who she is. I was kind of hoping some of the 2.ohLA ladies would look at the article and tell me who they are, but so far no one’s come by to tell me.

6. Shanti March 17, 2013 at 8:08 am #

Wow, really cool photos, totally captured the spirit of the event. I definately have never been to anything quite like this….I went to a “mutt strut” once where the models had rescue dogs with them on the catwalk, the dogs were up for adoption. But, it wasn’t nearly as glam as this 🙂

• Heather Fonseca March 17, 2013 at 8:43 am #

I’m glad you like my photos! I took a lot in the hopes that a few would turn out OK, and it worked! The Mutt Strut sounds like fun too!

7. DressCode:HighFashion
    March 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

Can I please have ALL the shoes from the last picture!? 🙂

Best, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Giorgio Armani Runway Details S/S 13My Profile

• Heather Fonseca March 18, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

I’m so glad you like that photo! I must have shot twenty different versions of the girls and their shoes. They weren’t wild styles, but they were carefully chosen.

1. Los Angeles Based Fashion Designers on the Catwalk - October 14, 2013

[…] this year I was fortunate to see the fall/winter collections from many of the same designers. That show was held in downtown L.A. but this time the runway was […]