Eight things I learned at Lucky FABB

Lucky GirlI was totally ready for Lucky FABB, the Lucky magazine fashion and beauty bloggers conference held here on the west coast, or so I thought. I haven’t attended many conferences in my life. (As a designer I’ve spent most of my time working at a desk. We were rarely sent off to talk to the trade.) It cost a pretty penny to attend FABB and I wanted to get the most out of it so of course I prepared my bag the night before and arrived early. Well, I tried, which brings me to my first point.

Print out a map of your destination

I’ve lived in Los Angeles most of my life and I’ve driven up and down La Cienega Boulevard about eight million times. Of course I could find the SLS Beverly Hills hotel! I’m sure I’d seen it before. Well, I would probably still be driving up and down the street trying to find the address if I hadn’t seen the line of young women dressed to the nines in high heels, neon dresses and oversized bags lining up along the street at 8 am.

Bring more business cards

I take my business cards with me wherever I go and have never run out in my life. I filled up my cute little card case the night before and felt comfortable that I had plenty. Nope. By the time I left I was out of cards.

Charge your camera’s batteries the night before

One of the best things about Lucky FABB was the people watching. Fashion bloggers dress to impress and I thought I’d get some great photos for the blog. As I snapped away that morning I noticed my camera’s batteries were on red. Good thing I brought a sketch pad.

Bring an extra camera in case your main camera freaks out, dies or misbehaves

Whenever my husband goes to a professional shoot he brings and extra camera just in case. I wish I had taken his advice! Even my ancient point-and-shoot would have been better than my ancient I-phone.

Bring a note pad that can double as a sketch pad

This is probably the only thing I did right. I got at least a dozen sketches of the event, and prolific notes, even if they are decorated with doodles.

Notes from Lucky FAAB

Bring an extra i-phone battery

Lucky had set up a charging station so we could all stay connected throughout the day. That was thoughtful, but my phone still died twice and the line to the chargers was long. I had a back up battery in the car but forgot to put it in my bag.

Sit down in the conference room early to get a good seat

The people speaking on the panel were often as well dressed as the audience. I wish I could have seen them better. I DID manage to get a good seat to see Betsey Johnson. (You can see the sketch I did of her outfit here.)

Hang in there

By the time the last panel had finished their discussion I was exhausted. My shoulders hurt. A headache was coming on. I was thirsty. Home was a short drive away and the chilled bottle of chardonnay in the fridge was calling to me. Drew Barrymore was on next. As sweet and inspirational as I’m sure she is I wasn’t all that interested in seeing a celebrity. Instead of leaving I plopped myself down on a big, comfy couch in the waiting room outside the conference hall. After a nice thirty minute rest and a great conversation with Drew’s personal hair dresser on the subject of his favorite hair products I felt refreshed. My batteries recharged I found a good spot in front for Betsey Johnson’s appearance. She’s one of my favorite designers, so I did really want to hear what she had to say.

I’m a conference newbie, but I’m sure there are pros among my readers. Do you have any great advice for me? I’d like to go to the next networking event fully prepared.

BloglovinFacebook TwitterPinterestInstagram

, ,

10 Responses to Eight things I learned at Lucky FABB

1. Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy
    April 5, 2013 at 11:12 am #

Amazing highlights, Heather. Your sketches are incredible, by the way! I wish I could have attended, but alas, tickets + flight + hotel was just not in my budget. Thanks for the great post!
    xo
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy
    Lia ~ Smart n Snazzy recently posted..How to Fix Broken MakeupMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 5, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Hi Lia! I’m so glad you like the post. I’ll probably do another one on more of the things I learned AT the conference, but it’s going to take me a little while for me to digest all the information. The conference was fun and I met a lot of people. I’m glad I went but I really don’t know if it was worth the $$$$. I guess I’ll find out if the conference has good ROI or not soon.

2. thefashionistachic April 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Girl you are so amazing! Lyric said mom, she was over there sketching things in like seconds. You are so talented. Heather we totally missed you. I really wish you came today today. We got like so much swag, then the breakout sessions were top notch. How to pitch to brands, how to drive traffic, how to monetize and digital entrepreneurs. You will not believe the swag we got. multiple leather hand bags. amazing jewelry. So many gift cards. oh goodness 3 pair of Yosi Samara shoe. Oh btw, the designer was good looking too. LOL Anyway thanks for sharing your experience.
    thefashionistachic recently posted..LuckyFabb What I wore day 1 Lyric JacksonMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

I so wish I had singed up for two days. Sounds like day two was even better than day 1. Oh well. There’s always next year!

I’m so glad lyric likes my sketches. I’ve been doing it for years. I almost can’t help myself, especially in that sort of situation. I just can’t stop doodling.

3. Alexis Grace April 5, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

Heather- I am so terribly jealous that you got to attend. When I learned they were doing this conference I absolutely missed LA!

But you really shared some great tips– and ones I hadn’t heard before!

Glad you had such a fantastic experience (and super happy/jealous that you and Toni met!)
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Cutout FlatsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 10, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

I want to do one more post on Lucky FABB but I don’t want to bore everyone with yet another round up. This one would be on what the experts said. It was fascinating to me, but maybe not to my readers? Plus I have no photos…

4. nofearoffashion April 6, 2013 at 7:26 am #

The only conferences I have attended were in advertising and facility management. The latter was totally boring. The advertising was not so bad also because you met a lot of people. But inspiring fashion confences..no, no experience. You must draw very fast if you can scatch so much in so little time. I had a look at Betsey Johnson as I did not know her (we are a bit ignorant in Holland haha). You drew her well. Bubbling person.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Kermit green jacket with black skinniesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Well I’m so glad I introduced you to an American Icon. Betsey definitely is that. I felt so bad when she went out of business last year. I wore her clothes as a teenager and her designs are still great and wearable if you’re young at heart.
      As for conferences, I was exhausted! But it was really fun.

April 6, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Conferences could be fun and exhausting! But I usually find them very inspiring and it’s good to get recharged.

I recently ran out of biz cards as well! Need to re order! 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 13 – MACROMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I reordered my business cards AFTER the conference, like a doof. If you do reorder include your twitter address. I thinks it’s important to put as much social media on there as possible, but that’s a conversation for another post!