Tomato Red and the Daily Drawing Challenge

Sketch of a girl Tomato red, coral, or tangerine, whatever you call this orange-red color I’m suddenly obsessed! It started the other day at an event at Otis College of Art and Design. I spied a woman wearing head-to-toe black except for a bright tomato red statement necklace. She was sooooo chic. On closer inspection I realized her nails and lipstick were the same orange-red color.  I pulled up the courage to talk to her and found out that the necklace, lipstick and nail polish matched perfectly because they were made to be worn together. J Crew sold all three to coordinate with each other. We both agreed that J Crew was brilliant and that her necklace was pretty fabulous. We weren’t allowed to take photos at the event so I went home and drew her look from memory.

The very next day I opened up my blog reader and noticed  the same bright-red color worn with black at Bittersweet Colors. She called the color tangerine. I drew that too.

Bittersweet

The Daily Drawing Challenge

These two drawings and many others are the result of a self-imposed month-long daily drawing challenge. Although I give myself the weekends off, every weekday I post a new sketch. It’s not called a challenge for nothing. I was rather nonchalant about the whole thing at first, then life became a bit more hectic and this week it’s been hard to find time to draw. Of course that was the point. The more I draw, the better my drawings become, but drawing needs to be a priority. How do you make drawing, or anything for that matter, a priority? Tell everyone you’re going to do it and, wham, you have to rise to the occasion or risk looking like a looser.

If you’re interested in seeing more of my daily drawing challenge please check out my design blog, or follow my daily drawing challenge board on Pinterest.

Have you ever done a daily challenge and posted it online? Any tips for success would be welcome!

Like what you see? Follow me!

BloglovinFacebook TwitterPinterestInstagram

, ,

12 Responses to Tomato Red and the Daily Drawing Challenge

1. Annette April 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Fabulous, I already repinned those 2.
    My suggestion is to label the sketches like I did when I repinned them “Red Rose by The Style Confessions” (or your name or your art blog) rather than just “Red Rose Necklace Illustration”. It makes it also easier to search for your pins.

Love to see more.
    Annette
    Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..OFFICE OUTFITMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks Annette! Very good advice. I will tag them with my name in the future.

2. nofearoffashion April 13, 2013 at 12:41 am #

As always fabulous. This colour is my favourite. I posted pink pants the other day but everybody says they are tomato red. With matching boots (just a lucky coincidence). And black. So I am with your theme.
    It is quite a challenge you imposed upon yourself.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Pink pantsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

You’re totally on trend Greetje! You aren’t the only one wearing coral and black.

3. Alexis Grace April 13, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Wow! Sounds like quite the challenge! I can’t wait to see all the work you produce!

As for the red necklace- it seems to be quite the coveted piece! I saw it on another bloggers day a couple days ago….
    Alexis Grace recently posted..30 Lessons for 30: Life LessonsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Thanks Alexis. I just have to keep doing it!

April 14, 2013 at 10:59 am #

I loved the sketches I remember you talking about this, not sure if it was the Hangout we did where you mentioned it.

Anyway a bit of colour at certain points set against all black always looks really chic in my opinion, I love that you sketched another blogger too! That’s awesome, has she seen your sketch? If so what did she think about it?

You can sketch me any day.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..It’s Time To Celebrate Your Body!My Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

Aw thanks Arash! Unfortunately my sketches of men are not nearly as good as my sketches of women. I don’t know why but it’s always been that way!

April 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I really like that color lately as well and have been seeing a lot.

Your drawings are looking great!

I am doing a 52 week photo challenge for myself and up until this past weekend I was so dedicated. I missed posting this past weekend and can’t stop feeling bad about it! I let things just get in my way but now that I am mentioning it here, no matter what I am going to post it tomorrow! Even if it’s not the best photo – just to do it I think will make me feel better. Keep it up girl!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 14 – NOISEMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Thank you Stacey! The daily drawing challenge has been a real challenge, but as a creative person it’s so important to push your boundaries. Plus if I don’t draw I get So rusty! I look forward to your next photo challenge.

6. Jenny Thomson April 18, 2013 at 1:07 am #

This is sooooooo chic, i agree with you.
    Love it. ^^

• Heather Fonseca April 18, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Thanks Jenny. I’m glad you like it.