The Gallery Opening

Anne Bray's Gallery OpeningA couple of weeks ago I went to Anne M. Bray’s art show reception at Tag Gallery in Santa Monica. My husband, Hugo, met me there. The gallery is located in the Bergomot Station Art Center,  a large industrial complex that was once a stop for the Red Line Trolley. The trolley is long gone, but the crowds still decent upon the area, only now they’re looking for artwork instead of a ride to the ocean. Anne’s gallery opening coincided with a number of other events which made for a crazed parking lot scene, lot of great people watching and some wonderful art, of course.

The Photography

The photos below were part of the MOPLA, or month of photography Los Angeles, group exhibition at the Robert Bergman Gallery. Hugo and I both loved the street portraits by John Valadez. The tube top and high-waisted jeans were fashionable in the early 1980s. After a few decades of low-rise jeans the style looks pretty great again. These photos make me wish I had a tube top.

Street Style Photos at a gallery opening

Photos by John Valadez

Anne’s Paintings

I’ve always loved Anne’s artwork. I have two of her watercolors and I would love a few more. The set of paintings at the gallery were inspired by her daily commute. You can see them all hereAnne Bray's paintings at the Tag Gallery in Santa Monica

I spent a lot of my time instagraming the event. It was fun, mostly because Anne was instagraming too!Anne Bray's Gallery Opening

The Scene

The complex was bustling with people, most of whom were dressed casually, but there were a few interesting outfits in the bunch. I especially liked the woman in the high-low white tulle evening gown and combat boots. Another woman wore a very pretty green vintage-looking dress. I wore a plaid high-low dress over leggings to thank Anne for drawing me in the outfit. You can see her sketch of me here.

The Gallery Opening

The Gallery Opening

The Gallery Opening

I had a lot of fun. Gone to any gallery openings recently?

, , , ,

14 Responses to The Gallery Opening

1. Alexis Grace April 23, 2013 at 12:06 am #

Congrats to Anne! Looks like it was a fun event!! 🙂
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Black And White All OverMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

It was great Alexis! Have you been to any galleries in Singapore?

2. No fear of fashion April 23, 2013 at 1:07 am #

Very nice photos. You were looking very stylish, but I admit the white wedding gown woth the boots is a work of art.
    Have not been to galleries for ages. We used to do that so often. Now that our house if fully furnished and holds a lot of artwork, it is dangerous to go. You see something you want but you cannot place it.
    No fear of fashion recently posted..Brown long jacket, skinny jeans and leopard print beltMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 23, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

My danger is a bit different at art galleries. I see something I want but I can’t afford it! Real art is pricey. For my next house I will save up and buy a few pieces I love.

3. Annette April 23, 2013 at 1:10 am #

Last week Anne surprised me with her artwork and sent me a sketch of my floral print outfit. I was over the moon! Fabulous that you were able to meet her in person.

I love Anne’s and your work and follow your illustrations on Pinterest.

Annette
    Lady of Style
    Now on Facebook
    Annette recently posted..GOLD MEETS BEIGEMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Thanks Annette! Anne is really a wonderful person. We’ve known each other for many years, and she’s an incredible artist!

April 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I went to an Art Expo event recently. Blog post in the works 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..A New OutfitMy Profile

5. Marlene April 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

I haven’t been to a single gallery since arriving in the UK. Terrible, I know!! BTW Heather, I love your gladiator sandals. Gorgeous!
    Marlene recently posted..T-Shirt & Jeans, 4 WaysMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 24, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Thank you so much Marlene! I don’t go to gallery openings very often either, but I do enjoy it when I do.

6. anne the SpyGirl
    April 23, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

We are getting TRIPLE side eyes! Score, Hugo!
    I’m so glad that you both were able to come join me in the craziness.

My next art event will be in September — the Art Platform Art Fair in Barker Hangar at the Santa Monica Airport. My gallery will have a booth. Maybe you can venture back to Santa Monica for that!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Digital Catwalk: TrinaMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 24, 2013 at 11:30 am #

There was a lot of side-eye going on it’s true! It was a lot of fun. Thanks so much for inviting me.

7. A Brit Greek
    April 26, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Love what you wore! A gallery opening is always fun, you get to mingle and meet new people!
    x.o.x.o
    A Brit Greek recently posted..THE CHARMED ONES: WAXING LYRICAL ABOUT THESE BEAUTIESMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca April 29, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Thanks so much. I love that dress.