Closets, they’re never big enough are they? I dream about having a large walk-in room like the ones on my closet inspiration Pinboard, but instead of getting larger my wardrobes keep getting smaller. I’ve had a lot of experience with tiny closets, but my newest is so small that even I was stumped at first. I did get it really well organized though. Here are a few tiny closet organization ideas.
My Tiny Closets
I spent years complaining about the 4 foot by 7 foot closet in my 1920’s bungalow, but since we’ve moved to our temporary home my new wardrbe is barely three feet deep and two feet wide. That’s a tiny closet! It makes the previous one seem like ample space for any woman’s collection of clothing. My new situation is really one step up from living out of a suitcase. It should be horrible, but oddly enough it’s actually easier to get dressed in the morning. All I brought to our temporary home are the spring and summer clothes I love the most. I was careful to pack my most versatile items and I also picked a color scheme of blues and greens. The end result is the wardrobe I’ve always wanted: the one where almost everything goes together and getting dressed is a breeze.
Still, I needed help setting up the closet which was just an empty space when we arrived. I needed to arrange purses, shoes, underthings and of course clothes in a way that made sense. I wanted a few tiny closet organization ideas, so I searched Google and my favorite blogs for inspiration and came up with these ten helpful links.
Ten Ideas and Tips for the Closet
- She Owns It wants you to break all the organizing rules!
- These shots of Bittersweet Colors’ closet is inspirational. How I would love all that SPACE!
- Modern Eve offers up the cutest little spring cleaning infographic I’ve ever had the pleasure to stumble upon.
- I very much like the Style Files DIY Jewelry Organizing Solution.
- Inside Out Style shows us how to store accessories in tea cups, mug holders and other unexpected places.
- Trop Rouge is a complete neat freak…except when it comes to her closet. I love her honesty.
- Wardrobe Oxygen has experience living with small closets, and her advice in “Honing your Personal Style through closet organization” is excellent.
- What’s the best way to store your purses? Suite 101 delves into the answers in “Caring for your Designer Handbag”.
- I don’t like to hang my handbags because I’m afraid of stretching out the handles, but I can’t help but love this simple DIY purse hanging system.
- Do you like looking at other women’s wardrobes? Then Closet Visit is for you! The photos are gorgeous too.
My Tiny Closet Organization Ideas
After reading everything I could find on closet organization I tackled my own tiny space. I didn’t have room to hang my purses so I stuffed them with tissue and placed them in a deep shelf on the top of my wardrobe.
I purchased a hanging shoe organizer from Ikea and filled it with my underthings, t-shirts, and scarves.
My tiny closet might be tiny, but at least it’s deep. I was able to squeeze in two hanger bars, one in the front and one in the back. Here is the back rung. The shoe organizer hangs next to my collection of jackets and coats for the colder days of early spring. Here is the front rung with dresses, jeans and blouses. You’ll notice that most of the clothes are in the blue to green range. I specifically chose clothes that worked well together and of course I brought a lot of basic black too!
I put my favorite spring and summer shoes in boxes and stacked them up on the floor of the closet. It’s not perfect, but at least they’re neat. In the front is a box with my everyday shoes. Casual flats sit on top.
Next to the shoes is a wicker box with my collection of clutch bags. Current wisdom suggests that a small wardrobe can be made more interesting with a nice variety of accessories, and these little bags don’t take up much room.
Behind my small purse collection is my gym bag with all my workout clothes.
Not shown is another shelf in a different closet with my jewelry and a few other things. I also packed two boxes with true summer clothes like my bathing suits. They’ll come out as the weather gets warmer.
What’s your closet situation? Do you have a wonderful, large, walk-in closet or a tiny armoire like mine? Do you have any great organization tips to share?
Like what you see? Follow me!