What should I wear on a date with my husband?

Style Sketches™ stripe dress at The Style Confessions

What should I wear the day after Marc’s wedding for a day with my husband before we pick up the kids (and assuming we’ve had FUN the night before)????

One of my dearest friends, Ariane, asked me the question above via Facebook. “What should I wear on a date with my husband?” is a good question, and I think one that many women ask themselves. Personally I like to look pretty on a date with my husband, and I think a cute little dress like the one above is the epitome of prettiness. It’s also casual enough to wear more than once and will go with lots of other accessories to create different outfits.

You should know that Ariane and I go way back. We met in high school and have been best friends ever since. She is petite, French, and eternally “gamine”. We had dinner last weekend where she modeled for me a pair of new navy blue, leather, peep-toe, platform espadrilles with little bows on the toe. They look adorable on her. It’s quite possible that she is the only woman in the world who can pull these off, so of course I wanted to find a way she could incorporate her new shoes into an outfit for her daytime date with her husband.

Even though her shoes are not classic espadrilles, they still have that nautical feel and I thought stripes would be the perfect thing to wear with them. Since stripes are so fashionable at the moment it should be easy to find a cute stripe “A-line” dress like the one I saw in the window at Barney’s. That one is probably a bit pricey, but here are a bunch of cute, inexpensive stripe dresses and wedge espadrilles for your viewing pleasure. (disclosure: affiliate links are embedded in the images.)

Ariane and I are both mothers but her children are a bit younger than mine. You learn early on in motherhood that it’s best to carry EVERYTHING with you, just in case. This is why most mothers carry around an enormous satchel everywhere they go. I say ditch the mom bag for your date and pick up a cute, little, hot pink purse instead.

(disclosure: affiliate links are embedded in the images above.)

What do you think? Do you agree with my suggestions for Ariane? Would you wear something like this for a romantic moment with your significant other?

If you would like to ask me your own fashion question for the Style Sketches™ series fill out this contact form or send me a message on Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr.

Like what you see? Follow me!

PinterestInstagram - Tumblr

, , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to What should I wear on a date with my husband?

1. pam
    May 24, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Of course this would work for a date!! Stripes are everywhere and are a great summertime night out option. Good work!!

• Heather Fonseca May 25, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Thanks Pam! I found out that my girlfriend wore a stripe top with jeans and her new shoes this weekend, so I think my advice worked out pretty well!

2. anne the SpyGirl
    May 24, 2013 at 7:23 am #

Very thorough, Heather! I’m liking this feature! It’s a very organic mix of sketch and shopping links.
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..My Personal Punk xPerienceMy Profile

3. Paula May 24, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Heather-Glad to see your “style sketches” portion of your blog! I have been trying to sketch more also–at least once a week. I think you are trying to do that too? I think I saw an earlier post where you had said that. It’s helping me spurn some new ideas–not necessarily for my blog, but for my artist’s soul. xoxo
    Paula recently posted..Coffee Talk: Betsy JohnsonMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 25, 2013 at 10:50 am #

The sketching has really gotten me excited about my blog again. I probably won’t do ALL sketches here on The Style Confessions, but I really love it and it goes hand in hand with my freelance work. Looking forward to more of your work too!

4. nofearoffashion May 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Yes I certainly would wear this. But I might also go for something fitted, showing some waist as I know my husband likes that. Great post. Very tempting bags.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..White boyfriend jeans with two jackets: green and black&whiteMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca May 25, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Thank you Greetje! I love the stripe dress trend, and there are certainly lots to choose from this spring.

May 26, 2013 at 8:45 am #

I love this concept, it’s totally fresh and unique to you. No one else could do this, in fact if I’d known you were an illustrator last year I would have put you in touch with my friend. He was looking for someone to commission an illustration for an event he was doing and I think your fashion illustrations would have been right up his street.

I love the outfit as well, relaxed but chic at the same time, perfect.
    Arash Mazinani recently posted..How Do You Avoid Fashion Envy?My Profile

May 26, 2013 at 9:04 am #

I love your drawings Heather!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 21 – UMBRELLAMy Profile

7. DressCode:HighFashion
    May 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE that cute combination! The blue & pink are a fantastic match and the bow heels are sexy & fab! *looove*

Hugs, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Links a la Mode: May 23rdMy Profile

8. Jenny Thomson May 29, 2013 at 12:02 am #

This style is so classic. I have a lot of stripes dress and I still want it for more. lol

1. What should I wear on a date with my husband? | Placedelamode - June 7, 2013

[...] What should I wear on a date with my husband?  » http:// thestyleconfessions.com [...]