Matching Hawaiian Outfits for a Fancy Dress Party

Matching Hawaiian Outfits: A Fashion Illustration by Heather FonsecaRosario will be attending a fun fancy dress party where each couple wears matching outfits. Here’s her question:

Hi Heather, My husband and I will be attending a dress up party July 1st where each couple must dress identically. Last years party most people dressed in blue jeans, lots of cowboy boots and even some skirts. (My hubby won’t wear a skirt or dress so that is definitely out of the question!) This is such a great party that you never want it to end so dressing comfortably is something to be considered.

Rosario shared with me all the clothes that she and her husband have in common, including leggings, jeans, t-shirts and some shoes, but I thought that wearing jeans was just too expected and I prefer leggings layered under other clothes, so I decided to go a totally different direction. I went to Hawaii.

Couples wearing matching Hawaiian outfits is something of a cliché, but there’s a reason people have been wearing Hawaiin shirts and shorts for years. In my humble opinion it’s a great look. Plus it will be perfect for a warm summer evening event. Rosario’s husband will look cool in a vintage-inspired Hawaiian shirt and khaki shorts. Rosario can make her outfit even cuter by tying the shirt in the front and wearing a summery pair wedge sandals and a big flower in her hair. A pair of inexpensive floral leis complete the look. Aloha!

(Disclosure: Affiliate links are embedded in the widget below. If you click on an image I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!)

Shop the Guy’s Look

Shop the Gal’s Look

Have fun at your party Rosario! I hope it’s a blast.

Contact me here if you would like to ask your own fashion question for the Style Sketches™ series. I will draw a fashion illustration like the one in this post to answer your question!

Speaking of the illustrations, the “Aloha!” sketch in this post can be purchased on my Society 6 store as a high-quality print, T-shirt or Tote bag. Check it out here.

Like what you see? Follow me!

BloglovinFacebook TwitterPinterestInstagram

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to Matching Hawaiian Outfits for a Fancy Dress Party

1. nofearoffashion June 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

What fun and what a great solution. I hope Rosario and her husband like it. I do.
    Greetje
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Tuxedo, a smoking suit for womenMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks Greetje! I’m so glad you like it. (:

2. anne the SpyGirl
    June 19, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

That is SO adorable — both the solution AND your sketch!
    Now I want to dress Severo all matchy and go to Hawaii!
    Aloha!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..52 Pick-me-up: Boyfriend/ GirlfriendMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

Thanks Anne! I would love to see you and Severo in Hawiaan outfits. I think it would be great. (And your tutu question is coming up soon, I promise. You’re next on the list the problem is I’ve sketched three different looks, so it’s going to take me a few days to color them all. (:)

3. Rosario June 20, 2013 at 2:06 am #

Heather! I love this. What a fantastic idea I can hardly wait, this is so creative. I am going shopping today to pick out the shorts and tops. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

• Heather Fonseca June 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Yay! I’m so glad you like the idea Rosario! Please send me a photo of you and your husband dressed for the party. I would love to share it on Facebook, or if that’s not something you’d feel comfortable with just let me know. I still would love to see what you come up with.

• Rosario June 22, 2013 at 2:51 am #

Would love to send you a photo of us dressed in our Hawiaan outfits for your Facebook page. Once again thankyou for the great sketch.

• Heather Fonseca June 25, 2013 at 8:32 am #

So glad you liked it and I can’t wait to see the photo! Have a great time.

4. Marla Robinson June 20, 2013 at 2:35 am #

Living in FL I get a little nauseous at the thought of wearing Hawaiian shirts. I see these on people on an everyday basis here and they make me cringe a little,lol. This advice was wonderful. Great ideas as usual.

• Heather Fonseca June 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Hi Marla. That’s too funny! No one wears hawaiian shirts here which is probably why I think it’s so cute.

5. Mary Jo
    June 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

That is such an adorable sketch Heather! Makes me want to go to a Hawaiian themed party asap! Hope you’re having a great week!

• Heather Fonseca June 25, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Thanks Mary Jo! I know. My mind is on Hawaii these days too.

6. Alexis Grace June 21, 2013 at 3:20 am #

What a fun party theme— and the sketch is great!!!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..The 10 Closet CommandmentsMy Profile