The Pink Dress – A Versatile Wardrobe Staple?

Pink Dress - The Style Confessions

When I think about a pink dress, I don’t immediately think of a wardrobe basic, and yet I can’t tell you how often I reach for this little strapless printed jersey frock. It’s easy to wear and surprisingly goes with just about everything.

The Versatile Pink Dress

I really shouldn’t be surprised that a pink dress would be so versatile. Pink is a universally flattering color, and there are many shades and hues of pink to choose from.  I feel most comfortable in bright, dark pinks like fuchsia, but pale pink looks beautiful on many women. If pastel pink doesn’t do it for you either check out coral, or try a purple-pink like mauve or lilac.

Pink looks great with almost every other color

The real strength of pink comes from how well it works with other colors. One of my all-time favorite color combinations is pink and green. In this post I’m wearing my pink dress with green sandals. In the article Retail Therapy Vs. Shopping One’s Closet I wore the same dress with a kelly green jacket and a navy blue purse. Pink and green is a complementary color scheme. The two colors are opposites; They sit across from each other on the color wheel. Like all complementary color combinations pink and green is a striking color combination. (For more information on complementary colors check out Spy Girl’s wonderful post on the subject.)

Pink also looks great with blue, especially denim. It looks fresh and summering with white, dramatic with black, soft and pretty when combined with grey. I personally love pink married with orange, and I even like pink combined with red. (I wore the eye-catching combination of pink and red in this post: Pink and Red – can they be worn together?) Pink even looks good with brown. In fact, the only color I don’t like combined with pink is purple, though I’m sure Barbie would disagree!

The pink dress - The Style Confessions

Pink Dress - The Style Confessions

In this post I’m wearing my Veronica M strapless printed pink dress with green Korkies sandals and a little thrifted hat. We were on the beach when we took these shots, and I really did bike around in the dress! Like I said, this little pink dress is comfortable and versatile.

Shop for Pink Dresses

I’ve picked out a few pink dresses that I would personally love to add to my wardrobe. They come in all shapes and price ranges. Enjoy!

(Disclosure: Affiliate links are embedded in the widget below. If you click on an image I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!)

Do you have a pink dress in your closet? Do you find it to be as versatile and wearable as I find mine to be?

, , , , , , ,

22 Responses to The Pink Dress – A Versatile Wardrobe Staple?

1. TJ Lubrano
    June 29, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Ah! I’m more of a red type of girl, but a coral pink would be awesome to have as a dress. Or maybe a pink with a creamy undertone.

Love the dress on you!!
    TJ Lubrano recently posted..Creating Bigger Worlds.My Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 30, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I like coral just as much as I do bright pink. They’re both great colors!

2. Alexis Grace June 29, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

I actually own a pale peachy pink dress & a bright coral dress and am really fond of both. I am careful however, because pink can become to darling for me very quickly…..

I think this looks like a great easy dress- perfect for packing for short summer getaways!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Stepping In The ClosetMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 30, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I would think both peachy-pink and coral would look great with your skin tone Alexis!

3. MARLA ROBINSON June 30, 2013 at 4:57 am #

No pink dresses, and actually very minimal pink clothing in general. Just not a fan of most pink shades against my skin tone. I find my go-to colors are always neutrals- black, navy, grey, and browns. I guess I’m pretty boring, lol.

• Heather Fonseca June 30, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Well, if one day you want to try something new maybe you could look at something small in pink. An accessory maybe? It really is a flattering color, and it goes with all the neutrals. Promise. (:

4. Anne Touraine June 30, 2013 at 7:30 am #

Hi Dear Heather,
    Back at you after a long time spent on developing and launching my new silk scarf line. A huge venture…
    Totally agree with you; pink is a versatile and flattering color. Yet I am more pink top than pink dress. Probably because it would look too girly on me 😉
    Love your dress though probably because it has pink + other colors.
    Great hat too! You seem totally ready for the summer. Enjoy!
    xo,
    Anne

• Heather Fonseca June 30, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Nice to see you again Anne. I was wondering where you went! But I know that developing a line of anything clothing related is an overwhelming venture. Good luck with your line! Can’t wait to see it.

• Anne Touraine June 30, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Thanks a lot Heather! You – better than anyone else – know what developing a line of accessories or clothes mean.
        You are welcome to visit my scarf store at www(dot)annetouraine(dot)com.Or you are welcome to visit me for real!!!
        Keep well et à bientôt 🙂 xoxo

• Heather Fonseca July 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

I’ll go check out your scarves. I’m sure they’re beautiful!

5. anne the SpyGirl
    June 30, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Haha — we both worked for Mattel on Barbie and PINK entered our color vocabulary — resistance was futile, though I tried for many years. Pink garments started sneaking into my wardrobe, under the cover of darkness. Once I bought my bright pink shawl in Williamsberg, I was seriously hooked.
    Why was I so stubborn? Barbie pink is a fabulous color and it makes me happy! Now if I could just forget those endless Mattel meetings of whether to make Barbie’s dress pink, or blue, or lavender…
    You look refreshingly cool in your dress and fedora. You biked in that???!!!
    Thanks for the link love! I can’t tell you how much fun I had with my color wheel pie slices — I could have gone on + on!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..52 Pick-me-up: Complementary ColorsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca June 30, 2013 at 10:34 am #

When I was younger I hated pink, but like you I think resistance was futile working at Mattel. We all had to embrace pink. Now I love it! I still have a hard time wearing pastel pink, but the darker shades are a lot of fun.

6. nofearoffashion June 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

I love fuschia, don’t like pink. As in a colour near my face. But pink flowers with lots of green have been my favourite for years.
    Using complementary colours is so easy and effective. Cannot understand why I didn’t use it more often.
    nofearoffashion recently posted..My grey boyfriend jacket styled by The Style ConfessionsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 2, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I look good in pink but I feel better in fuchsia. It’s more “me”. But there are a lot of women who look great in softer pinks too. It’s just a good color all around. And I know what you mean about pink and green flowers. LOVE.

7. Fenn
    July 1, 2013 at 6:42 am #

So true…pink is SO VERSATILE!!! But I could not do that dress, because big boobs. I have a pink dress, though!
    Fenn recently posted..024 : Outfit Post : Cache FashionMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Ah Fenn, I have big boobs too, they’re just well hidden. (: I’m glad you like pink too!

July 1, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I do have a pink dress. It is relatively new and I have already worn it to a couple of events. I usually dress in neutral colors but as a matter of fact, I am even wearing a cropped pink sweater today!

Your dress looks cute but I’m really liking your ORANGE bike! 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 26 – ZIPPERMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 2, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Thanks Stacey!The bike is fun isn’t it? And it totally goes with my current fascination with bright colors. I’m happy to hear that you’re embracing some pink in your life too. It’s a fun color.

9. 33 July 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

very becoming 🙂

i also love magenta and coral pink, but NOT baby girl pink (pale pink). bright color brings life to aging dul skin (unlike black color, so flattering in our youth yet so drab in middle age).

• Heather Fonseca July 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Oh so true! My daughter loves black and it loves her, but as much as I still love the color I have to be careful not to overdo it. On the other hand bright colors seems much easier to wear now than when I was young. Go figure.

10. Amber/ Vudupink September 1, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Pink rocks so hard at any age! I have no prejudice to any pinks. I hate rules and tasteful is in the eyes of the beholder. It doesn’t matter how ‘old’ you are. How dreadful it would be to bore ourselves most of all. I will wear pretty, froofy, sexy clothing till the day I die. The days are over as well where we give up our doc martins and killer shoes. Lets don’t forget who we are and where we came from. I think there is this horrid stigma about aging in the US where women are supposed to lie about their birthyears and grieve for their youth. There are many blogs in the UK posted by interesting women sporting bright pink hair and vintage clothing. Seriously, find courage and wear fun stuff if you want to end this ‘appropriate’ dress boringness ladies. Im not saying wear butt skimming skirts… Unless you’ve got the legs for it. Ha! Cheers!

• Heather Fonseca September 7, 2013 at 8:02 am #

Hi Amber. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! You raise a point I’ve talked about before on this blog and that I want to discuss further. And good for you for continuing to wear what you want!