Summer Fun: Ideas on how to stay cool and chic in the heat

Summer Fun - The Style Confessions
July is here! It’s time for summer fun. The long days this time of year make it possible to do so much more than usual. Sometimes all that daylight can be a bit overwhelming for me, so I’ve created a list of ideas for things to do, ways to beat the heat and suggestions on how to look fabulous as well. Enjoy!

Indoor summer fun

Although I love the summer I really don’t love the heat. When it gets too warm I close the windows, pull the curtains and stay cool indoors. Air conditioning helps! So does a good book. Here’s a list of books on fashion to inspire your summer reading.  I’ve got Empress of Fashion: A Life of Diana Vreeland on my bedside table.

See a Movie

Sometimes staying at home doesn’t cut it. When I was a kid and it got too hot in our apartment my mother would take me to see a matinee. Hollywood makes sure there are lots of new movies to see this time of year. Some areas free outdoor movie events. A quick google search revealed one near me. The Old Pasadena Film Festival presents classic films in a local park at night.

Be a tourist in your own town

Check out your local attractions. My city boasts several, including several art museumsw, a science center, natural history museum as well as a museum dedicated to astronomy. Although I’ve been to all of them at one time or another, most of the year I just don’t have time to visit. Summer’s extended hours are a great way to see your city’s cultural centers, and how better to beat the heat than head to the climate controlled environments required by most museums?

Outdoor summer fun

Cool off in the water! Where I live the beach is about an hour away, and it’s always a great place to go in the summer to cool off. There are also a few municipal pools that I might try this year. If you do head to a local water attraction be sure to pack the essentials like sunblock, hats and towels. For an extensive list of everything you might need for a day at the beach, pool or lake, check out My Beach List. If you’re not sure you want to hit the waves, check out Fun on a Boogie Board and Hit the Beach in Style for some beachy inspiration.

Stay pretty in the heat

I wake up every morning with a layer of grease on my skin, or at least that’s what it feels like. My summer beauty routine is different from my winter routine for this very reason. I wear sunblock year round, but in summer I push up the SPF. My makeup is simplified too. Here is a post on my Favorite Summer Makeup.

You’ll be wearing sandals more often than not, so be sure to keep your feet looking fab. Here are some of my best tips on keeping your pedicure looking fabulous for weeks.

Stay chic in the heat

Face it, it’s just not easy to look fabulous when it’s hot. By the end of the day my clothes always seem to be crumpled. I have found a few summer items that never let me down though, including the white denim pencil skirt I wore in this post, my light and breezy little white dress, and finally that simple, basic, summer staple, shorts and a camisole.

Summer Hours

Over the next couple months I’m going to be very busy with summer fun. My kids are on school vacation and I’m going on an extended blogcation. I will be posting less frequently until the arrival of fall. If you’d like to see what I’m up to you can follow me and my almost-daily outfit posts on Instagram or Facebook.

What are you doing this summer?

14 Responses to Summer Fun: Ideas on how to stay cool and chic in the heat

1. Annette July 3, 2013 at 10:31 am #

After a completely wet spring, there is still no summer here in Germany… constant rain and cold temperatures make me really depressed. Radiators on full instead of AC!

I’ll put all your suggestions on my wishlist 😉
    Dreaming of my sunlounger on my terrace with stacks of magazines and iced coffee… and a HUGO which is a very popular summer cocktail here. It’s made of Prosecco, elderberry sirup, mineral water, icecubes and mint leaves. You should try it!

Annette
    Only a couple more hours to enter my giveaway.
    Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..CASUAL WHITE AND NEON SUMMER LOOKMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 8, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Oh a HUGO sounds fabulous! It’s also my husband’s name. I’m sure I’d love it!

2. nofearoffashion July 3, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Fortunately the weather has been slightly better in The Netherlands than in Germany, but only slightly. So if the temperature is reasonable and the sun is out, we will go to have drinks on a cafe terrace or go to the beach and have diner. There is no nead to stay out of the sun, oh no. More need to always bring your umbrella. We have never had it so bad.
    Greetje
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Leopard summer sandalsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 8, 2013 at 11:07 am #

It’s so interesting to hear how the weather is around the world. This whole year has been too hot in LA, but in Europe it’s been too cold. Have a great summer anyway! Dinner on the beach or terrace sounds lovely.

3. MARLA ROBINSON July 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I’m at the beach most of the summer. I love your drawings.

• Heather Fonseca July 8, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Thanks Marla! I’d love to spend most of my summer at the beach. It’s the best place in the heat!

4. FASHION TALES
    July 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Hiya Heather, Well, this summer has already been quite a busy one for me, but I am looking forward to a second holiday soon with beach time! And, perhaps even a few art exhibits. 🙂 Enjoy your “blogcation.”
    FASHION TALES recently posted..The Stylish FoodieMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 8, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Thanks so much! I am enjoying my blogcation. I need a little break I think. Will write about it probably once I’m back.

5. ODYSSEY
    July 5, 2013 at 7:16 am #

I spent a few weeks in the southern hemisphere, a wee break from the Texas heat. What will I do the rest of summer? Try to endure…and enjoy.

• Heather Fonseca July 8, 2013 at 11:04 am #

LA got really hot for a few days. Thank goodness for AC! But it’s cooling off a little bit now.

6. Sharon July 8, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Great ideas. My current reading list is all business related but, I am going to try and sneak in one piece of fiction. Enjoy your blogcation with the family.

• Heather Fonseca July 9, 2013 at 8:45 am #

Thank you Sharon! I try to vary my reading. One business book. One fun book. One business book…

7. DressCode:HighFashion
    July 12, 2013 at 9:50 am #

The “tourist in your own town” tip is the best! We should all enjoy the beauty around us and not take it for granted.

Have a nice weekend, dear!

Best, Jen
    DressCode:HighFashion recently posted..Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture F/W 13/14 Made With Swarovski – Runway DetailsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca July 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

I’m so glad you like that tip. I can’t tell you how many locals I know who never make it to some of LA’s best museums and attractions. It’s not that I do it every day, but I really try to get to these places once in a while.