Sketches of Some Cute Outfits for Summer

cute outfits for summer - Fashion sketch

Back in June a number of my readers asked me to suggest some cute outfits for summer. I had all sorts of ideas, but then time got away from me. My children finished the school year and started their vacation. Freelance projects came my way and I juggled work with family outings and road trips. Summer is a busy time, so busy that I took some time off from the blog to refocus my energies. So here we are in August and I am finally answering my reader’s style questions with a few sketches of my favorite summer outfits.

Cute Outfits for Summer

What styles do you recommend for those of us who do not like to wear shorts…but do not like heat also?? – Pam

The maxi dress is my favorite summer look when I want to keep my legs covered but I don’t want to swelter. Over the last few years I’ve seen so many great versions of this dress style. There are really big floaty dresses, skinny strapless dresses, and fun printed dresses. I have two in the same strapless sort of cut that you can see in the drawing below. It’s an easy look that can be accessorized many ways. A stack of bangles look great with a maxi dress, so do long earrings. I think this style of dress is best when worn with flat sandals, but almost any kind of purse looks great.

If you’d like to see how I wear my maxi dresses, check out the articles Meet me at 3r and Fairfax and Vintage Cars at Night.

The Maxi Dress

cute outfits for summer - Fashion sketch

I need a perfect outfit for the summer heat – Monica

This is the summer of shorts! Short shorts, bermuda shorts, cut-off shorts, rolled shorts, or floaty shorts; I’ve seen them all worn by women on the streets of Los Angeles and my favorite fashion blogs. If you have great legs this is the look for you. Even if you don’t feel comfortable in really short shorts there are lots of lengths to choose from, and they all look chic, especially when worn with a floaty, lightweight, blouse  or draped t-shirt. In the sketch below I’ve paired short shorts with a loose, high-low t-shirt, woven hat and a big purse. I like shorts best when worn with a little bit of a heel.

Would you like some more ideas on how to wear this summer classic? Check out my Pinterest board: How to Wear Shorts.

Shorts and a T-shirt

Cute outfits for summer

I am what has been described as an inverted triangle. (Large bust, full arms and upper body with slender legs.) I get so very hot here in the Mid-west US, but have a tough time finding summer looks that camouflage my perceived ‘flaws’. Any tips/looks suggestions? – Reva

There are plenty of hot, bright, cloudless, days in Los Angeles when I don’t want my shoulders burning in the hot sun. On these days I wear lightweight cotton and linen blouses to shield my skin while staying cool. One of my summer staples is a very lightweight printed cotton blouse from India. Although the blouse isn’t transparent, the cotton is so fine that I stay cool even on the hottest days of the year. Actually, I have more than one! You can see me wearing one of them in this post and this post. I wear my Indian cotton tunics with shorts, miniskirts, leggings or capri pants.

The Lightweight Tunic

cute outfits for summer

What are you wearing this summer?

, , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Sketches of Some Cute Outfits for Summer

1. Annette August 5, 2013 at 2:09 am #

No shorts for me but every single summer day I am in dresses and sometimes in skirts.
    Your sketches are superb as always and I really love the tunic & capris look!

Annette | Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..AFRICAN MEMORIESMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

I’m so glad everyone likes the tunic and capris! It’s what I usually wear in the summer, other than the maxi dress look of course.

2. Catherine
    August 5, 2013 at 3:13 am #

Heather I have been adoring these illustrations of yours… they are gorgeous, some of my favourites that you see on blogs! Not only that but your advice for summer dressing is spot on, and there’s a look for everyone! Well done, I want to see more 🙂

Catherine x
    Catherine recently posted..Not Dressed As Lamb Dices With Death In A Floral Skirt (& There’s A Video Too)My Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Thank you Catherine! I will do more drawings soon. Promise. I really like doing them I just don’t always have time. Sigh. But I do have more planned.

3. Pam
    August 5, 2013 at 4:45 am #

I love these illustrations, Heather!! You are so talented! What are we wearing in San Antonio, TX this summer…as little as we can get away with…today it will be 103-105!! This is the ninth day of this kind of heat with no let up in site,. I wish I could get away with some cute looks like you have here!! Have a happy Monday!! I agree with Catherine…more illustrations, please!
    Pam recently posted..Paulette Martsolf: Exquisite, Graceful, Creative DesignsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Thank you Pam! I’m so glad everyone likes my drawings. I just wish I had more time to devote to them.

4. ANNE TOURAINE Paris™ August 5, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Heather, as you know I am in total love with your illustrations. There are unique. I hope we can work on something together one day 🙂
    xoxo,
    Anne

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Thank you Anne. Just let me know…

5. anne the SpyGirl
    August 5, 2013 at 11:15 am #

My favorite summer garb is the tunic or the Mexican incarnation, the huipil. I prefer a longer length (mid calf) so that I only have to wear intimates underneath!

Great array of sketches!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..Almost Famous — On Tour with The SmithereensMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Thanks Anne! I don’t have any huipil, but it sounds comfy.

6. MARLA ROBINSON August 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

These sketches are amazing. Love the last outfit with the tunic.

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Thank you Marla. I almost didn’t include it because I thought it was too simple and “real”. It’s basically what I wear all summer long!

7. Sharon August 6, 2013 at 3:30 am #

Nice sketches. When I wear my maxi dresses with flat shoes I stumble and bumble. Maxi dresses and wedges are my summer attire.
    Sharon recently posted..10 Things Every Women Should do. . .OftenMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Maxi dresses look great with wedges too, and I know how you love your high heels Sharon!

• lamyaa
        February 21, 2015 at 6:25 am #

i don’t know how to draw so what do you say

8. nofearoffashion August 7, 2013 at 10:43 am #

As always your sketches are so good. And give something for everybody. I looked at your old posts and at your Pinterest board with shorts (ach…those were the days. They looked so good on me…sigh).
    I am tempted to buy a maxi skirt, but they are best on women with hips. As I have no hips, I am afraid I will look like a long stick. Which is not flattering.
    In The Netherlands it is never that warm, although we had a couple of unusually hot weather. By the time you start thinking, you really need something for that kind of weather, it is finished.
    So I get by with what I have. (And I work in air conditioned offices anyway).
    nofearoffashion recently posted..Oval polka dot summer dressMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

Summer lasts a long time here Greetje, so I’m always on the lookout for warm weather clothes that look good on me. Like you I’m sad about the shorts. They don’t look so great on me anymore either! But I did wear them a lot the last time they were in fashion, so I guess I’ll have to make do with that. Sigh.

9. Alexis Grace August 7, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

I am loving shorts this summer…. probably because I amtrying to avoid falshing the world when bending over with the little one! Cute sketches!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Hong Island, ThailandMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Thanks Alexis! Yes, shorts are great for running around after baby. You’re lucky that you have great legs and that they’re fashionable right now. Makes it easier!

10. GRIT & GLAMOUR
    August 14, 2013 at 4:31 am #

I love the maxi look! This is such a clever way to respond to sartorial questions. Consistently in awe of your talent!
    GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW: Flowers and Butterflies*My Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 18, 2013 at 9:16 am #

Thank you Vahni! More drawings coming soon. I just wish I had more time to devote to them.

1. Summer Fashion Sketch - Short Shorts by Heather Fonseca - August 10, 2013

[…] Here is another one of my summer fashion sketches. This quick black and white sketch features the hottest look for summer of 2013: short shorts! I drew it and three others for a post on my fashion blog called Sketches of Some Cute Outfits for Summer. […]