How should I wear a tulle skirt?

Fashion sketch of a tulle skirtAnne wants to know what I would do if I suddenly found a big tulle skirt in my closet:

The scenario: You just got a tulle skirt from me. You have been craving one, but thought maybe is was too tutu for your style. You’re determined to try wearing it at least once. Don’t worry, you don’t have to prance down 5th Ave like Carrie Bradshaw. You can go to a party in it. Ready, set, SKETCH! ;-)

The thing is, I HAVE been craving a tulle skirt, for ages actually. I Love tulle skirts! So far my obsession has only gone as far as collecting images of tulle skirts on my Pinterest board How to Wear a Tutu. I also styled and modeled a friend’s tulle skirt for the post How to Wear a Tulle Skirt, but I don’t have one of my own.

My Favorite DIY Tulle Skirt Tutorials

So I don’t have a tulle skirt and I know they’re not easy to find in stores because I have looked. Perhaps I should pull out the sewing machine and make one myself? The charming woman who writes Consider Me Lovely  made and modeled my absolute favorite DIY tulle skirt. I used her photographs as models for some of my drawings. Her skirt is huge and fluffy, rather like the drawing above, but if you’d prefer a more understated version consider checking out this tutorial from Rummage Living. I also like the skirt created in The Fairy Tale Skirt Tutorial.

But my sewing machine is in storage, so that’s going to have to wait. In the meantime I will sketch and dream.

How to Wear a Tulle Skirt

The first drawing in the post shows you the “Fashion Blogger” version of the tulle skirt. The large, fluffy skirt is worn with a tight denim shirt, pointy toe stilettos, rhinestone hair ornaments and a little clutch bag. Very chic, no? I like the look, but it’s not for everyone. If you want a more understated approach to the tulle skirt check out the sketch below. In this version my model is wearing a loose, soft tulle skirt with a black T-shirt, oversized utility jacket and boots. The look was inspired by me favorite street style blogs and I think it looks very cool, maybe too cool. I don’t know if I have enough cool city street attitude to pull it off.

Fashion sketch - how to wear a tulle skir

How would I Wear a Tulle Skirt?

Anne’s question was specific. She wanted to know how I would wear a tulle skirt if I had one. I think I would wear it with a simple T-shirt and flats like the drawing below. And yes, I’d wear it grocery shopping!

Fashion sketch - how to wear a tulle skir

All three fashion sketches are for sale over at my Society 6 store. Did you know they are also available as cell phone covers, t-shirts and tote bags?

What do you think of the tulle skirt fashion trend? Do you have one? How do you wear it?

, , , , ,

18 Responses to How should I wear a tulle skirt?

1. Greetje Kamminga August 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

Well… Being 59 I think I will leave this item alone, don’t you think? Although I did see a very pretty one in Bella’s Etsy shop. Oh sorry, just checked and it is a chiffon skirt. Still very pretty. Have a look Heather:

From the different skirts you have shown and sketched I like the first one best. Had a look at Consider me Lovely. Gosh that is a pretty skirt (and a pretty girl).

The second one, I find too boxy. It goes out too wide immediately at the waist. And because it is a relatively short skirt, I am afraid it will make me (or you) square. The way you have drawn your favourite is better, it goes down first before it goes wide.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca August 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

I keep hoping a perfect tulle skirt will show up someday for me. Who knows!

2. MARLA ROBINSON August 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

I love your sketches. You always have such great ideas.

3. J. August 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Gorgeous sketches! I had no idea about the store, will take a look now! :)
    J. recently posted..The highlight of my day todayMy Profile

4. Alexis Grace August 21, 2013 at 1:42 am #

There is something about a tulle skirt that I think every girl secretly lusts after. Of course, actually wearing them is a different thing all together— I would be petrified of looking like a pretty little princess. But I do think your stylings are great— the second, probably the closest to my aesthetic.
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Styled: Summer To Fall Transition LookMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

I totally agree Alexis. There’s a little princess in all of us! There certainly is one in me.

August 21, 2013 at 5:05 am #

Great sketches, but I don’t see myself wearing a tulle skirt any time soon. Unless of course it’s that travelling yellow one….

• Heather Fonseca August 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

So glad you like the sketches Sylvia! I don’t know what became of the traveling skirt or if anyone else tried it. Sigh. It was fun!

6. Mary Jo
    August 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm #

I loved this post Heather! That second drawing you did is exactly how I dressed in grad school except with motorcycle boots. A look that I’m so glad I did then because it’s out of my system now, but I can fully appreciate it on others :) Hope summer has been treating you well!

• Heather Fonseca August 24, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

You’re so lucky you got it out of your system. I wish I’d worn every crazy trend that came along when I was 20, but I was either too broke or too conservative to try.

August 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I don’t have a tulle skirt – definitely feel like I am too tall and too mature (aka old) to wear one :) Love the sketches!!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 32 – “F”My Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Yeah, I think the time of wearing a tulle skirt might have passed me by too, but maybe I could manage a very minimal tulle skirt. If I see the right one I’ll be sure to snatch it up. Glad you like the sketches.

8. Maggie August 28, 2013 at 6:09 am #

The way you have drawn your skirt is amazing.
    I wish i could make my own designs.
    Great site!

Maggie

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Hi Maggie! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I’m so glad you like my drawings! I can make them, I suppose, if I tried. But pattern making and sewing are very time consuming. I don’t have time at the moment.

9. anne the SpyGirl
    August 29, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Fun to see your solutions, glad you gave this a try!
    anne the SpyGirl recently posted..52 Pick-me-up: 80′sMy Profile