Big Hair! An Ongoing Obsession.

Big Hair! The products.I am always amazed by women who have naturally thick, full, wavy, tresses. Big hair like that only exists in my dreams. It certainly doesn’t exist on my head. My hair is fine, strait, and pretty much lifeless. This has led to a lifelong quest for products that will give my hair body and volume. I own two sets of hot rollers, a curling wand with a brush and the prerequisite quasi-professional hair dryer. Although I’ve never found a shampoo that does much more than clean my hair, I have found foams, gels and sprays that help to give my lifeless locks a bit of body. These hair potions coupled with heat from hair styling appliances take my hair from blah to bodacious. Well, they make it look pretty good. Here are my favorite big hair products. They all work well to give my fine hair volume, but they all have their drawbacks. I’ve yet to find the holy grail of hair products. If I ever do, you’ll be the first to know.
Disclosure: I purchased most of these products with my own money and have not been paid to post this review, however there are affiliate links in the post. If you click on them I might make a small commission. Thank you for your support.

Big Hair! The products.

Spray it on – big hair in a bottle

I purchased CHI Volume Booster because I really loved TIGI’s Bed Head Superstar Volumizing Leave-in Conditioner and I thought it might be similar. Why not just buy the Bed Head stuff in the pink bottle you ask? Because like all of TIGI’s otherwise fabulous products the fragrance is overwhelming. It gave my hair volume but smelled like bubble gum. The CHI product smells like nothing but gives my hair a good dose of volume.

My main problem with leave in hair products happens on day two. If on day one I have big, full, pretty hair, by the next morning it’s developed a layer of gunk. The bigger the product makes my hair, the gunkier it is next day. Dry shampoo really helps with this problem and allows me to go a couple days without shampooing. Since washing and styling my hair takes some time this really is a blessing. Oscar Blandi’s Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray is more expensive than most, but it works really well. Dry shampoo is also a good way to add a bit of body to hair that I’ve let air dry.

Massage it in – big hair gel and foam

My favorite everyday hair lotion is Aloxxi Thickening Serum. I received it as a gift at a fashion blogger party hosted by the company. They gave me a bag full of surprisingly fabulous styling products, but this is the product I reach for the most. It doesn’t give me really big hair like my other hair products. Instead my hair looks soft and natural yet full. Unlike many other volumizing hair products this stuff doesn’t make my hair gunky. It stays pretty for more a couple of days and it smells lovely too.

Paul Mitchell Extra-Body Sculpting Foam is a classic. This is what I use when I want my hair really big and I want it to stay that way for several hours. It comes out crunchy and stiff, but the volume lasts for hours.  Regardless of how full and fabulous my hair is on the first day, by the next it must be washed. Hair mousse turns into greasy gunk by the second day of wear, and this is no exception, but for sheer volume it really can’t be beat. I use it with hot rollers when I want curls that will stay curly all day and night long.

Keep it fluffy – big hair spray

If I want big hair to last for hours I give it a good spritz of hair spray. My mega bottle of Big Sexy Hair Spray and Play Harder keeps every strand in place and works as well on up-dos as it does my hot roller induced curls.

The Next Generation of Big Hair?

Big Hair! The products.

What does the future have in store? Recently both Lucky Magazine and Allure have presented some new volumizing hair products that look intriguing. I might have to hunt down a bottle of Kerastase Lift Vertige. According to Lucky Magazine it contains “micronized particles that envelope hair in a think, cushiony veil to create space between strands…” The author of the article Into the Gloss raves about this new hair gel:

It smelled incredible and felt like a luxe face serum; despite the less-than-ideal hotel dryer, my hair doubled in size. And it was shiny, as if each individual hair were covered in sheer cellophane. It looked like I had someone else’s hair, and then I put my hands in it, and it felt like someone else’s hair. Downstair, I caught myself in the lobby’s collection of antique mirrors: From every angle, this was the kind of hair I’d wanted for over a decade. – Maura Lynch

Strong words those. The article reads like a love letter to a hair gel. I found the same product mentioned in the August 2013 issue of Allure. I think I must try it!

Big Hair! The products.

Do you struggle with fine, lifeless hair? What do you use to make your hair fluffy and full?

, , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Big Hair! An Ongoing Obsession.

1. Aileen August 26, 2013 at 7:56 am #

My hair is like your and it’s a nightmare trying to get some volume into it.

I live in a fairly wet and windy environment which is hell for any type of hair but soft fine hair just can’t take it and flops flat to my head instantly the minute I go outside.

I’m still looking for the perfect product!

• Heather Fonseca August 26, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Let me know if you ever find the perfect product Aileen. The weather here is hot and dry, which usually makes my hair flat and lifeless. When I go to humid climates I actually get a little volume from the humidity, though I know it’s a nightmare for other women.

2. ODYSSEY
    August 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I have fine straight hair, too. Color and a short cut help give mine enough body. Good choice, the Oscar Blandi dry shampoo – I’ve used the non-spray version for years.

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

I’ve only tried the one product by Oscar Blandi. I’m pretty cheap about shampoo. Color helps my hair too, but I haven’t had the time to have it done recently. That bleach adds some volume for sure!

3. MARLA ROBINSON August 27, 2013 at 2:35 am #

I am able to get a little extra fullness in my hair with a little dry shampoo. I put a small amount on my hands and rub it in at the roots. Takes out some of the excess oil and gives me a lot of body.

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Dry shampoo is pretty great. It definitely helps with the volume. What brand do you use?

4. Alexis Grace August 28, 2013 at 5:58 am #

UGggghhhh— I hate my giant hair…. but mostly because it is giant and curly, yet somehow still thin…..

You can imagine how much I am NOT loving the humidity here. My dad is visiting next week and I had my mom pack several different products from the US for me to try out— fingers crossed one of them is the magic bottle!
    Alexis Grace recently posted..Cocktail Class: The Spicy Blackberry MargaritaMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

I hope the new potions work! Humidity does good things to my hair, but I hate the heat so it probably doesn’t matter. I would love to have giant hair Alexis! Love it for me, OK?

5. No Fear of Fashion August 28, 2013 at 6:28 am #

Thin, straight hair and little of it. That is me. Reaching for the floor in the fastest way. Volume is created by blowdrying it with a brush after I have put Volume Foam on it (by Sebastian). When it is dry I put a little Crude Clay in it. At the roots. This fabulous product is by Trucco and I cannot find it anymore. When this jar is finished I am up the creek without a peddle.
    And I always back-combe my hair at the top and then combe it in a normal shape again. After all, we are not in the sixties anymore. LOL I can brush it, and do the back-combing and combing again every morning for 3 to 4 days before washing it again.
    Wind and rain and humidity are my enemies. Heather, we should swap countries.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

I blow dry volume into my head too, then I stick it in a little pony tail on the top of my hair to “set” it. It sorta works for a while. Eventually it just falls flat again though. The products do help a little though. Sorry to hear your favorite is no longer available! Have you tried searching for something with similar ingredients?

6. Madame Là-bas August 29, 2013 at 8:14 am #

My hair is much finer as I age and it is curly. The product that gives defined curl one day turns into a heavy layer of goop the second. I have tried revitalizer but to no avail. I will look for the Kerastase vertige lift.
    Madame Là-bas recently posted..The End of August Grey SkiesMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca August 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

I’m trying to find the Kerastase locally too. I’ll let you know if it works! I know that curl definition is even harder than getting fine hair to be poofy. Good luck on your search.

7. Margaret September 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Try a wig! No, really, I’m serious. I have fine thin hair and found videos by Godivas’s Secret Wigs on Utube. They make wearing a wig seem fun. I bought one of their wigs and haven’t looked back. No more limp ,if else’s hair for me. I plan on buying more. Believe me. It’s worth a try.

• Heather Fonseca September 7, 2013 at 7:52 am #

Hi Margaret. I didn’t think about wigs though that would solve my problem for sure!

September 5, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Funny – we have completely different hair issues! I have to do all I can to TAME my hair! The flatter I can get it, the better. 🙂
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 34 – “H”My Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 7, 2013 at 7:49 am #

I think most women have bigger problems with taming than with adding body. But I think for most of us our hair needs work to look it’s best!