Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover vs Acetone

Acetone vs Natural Nail Polish RemoverIf you follow me on Instagram or if you have read my blog for a while you probably know that I am a manicure, pedicure, and nail polish enthusiast. Decorating one’s nails with unusual colors, glitter, designs, sequins and stones has been trendy for a while, and although it seems like the designers have lost interest in the more fun aspects of nail individualism the trend hasn’t abated. Certainly this woman isn’t ready to go back to unpolished nails anytime soon! There is a problem with my new love of colorful nails however, and the problem is keeping my nails simultaneously polished, strong, and healthy.

I’ve found some great nail products to help strengthen my claws, long-wearing polishes for natural nails, and a few great ways to keep my professional pedicures looking fresh, but recently I’ve discovered a new secret weapon in my nail polish arsenal: Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover.

Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover

Acetone vs Natural Nail Polish Remover

My Review – The Pros

I purchased a bottle of this vegan nail potion at my local health food store. I didn’t expect it to work at all but I was feeling curious. Imagine my surprise when I found that this rather nice smelling stuff actually removes polish very well. On creme nail polish it works just as well as acetone, dissolving the polish almost immediately. Overall I was very happy with how well the Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover worked, but there’s more to this than just removing polish. The product has actually made my nails stronger, or maybe I should say it hasn’t weakened my already soft nails further. When I use this to remove polish, even if it’s a couple times a week, my nails look beautiful.

So what does the manufacture have to say about this? On the No Miss Cosmetics website they state that the remover is gentle, non-drying, and moisturizing. It’s made with all natural ingredients, smells like vanilla, contains no acetone, no ethyl acetate and is cruelty free. They also say “No more dry brittle nails!” Well, I can attest to that.

Directions, Warnings and Ingredients

Acetone vs Natural Nail Polish Remover

The Cons

Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover works very well to take off all my creme and sheer jelly polishes, but I have to work a bit  harder to remove shimmer polish. The one thing the natural nail polish remover doesn’t remove that well is glitter. As I’m sure my fellow glittery nail polish enthusiasts know, glitter is a bear to remove, even with harsh chemical removers. The last time I tried to remove some glitter polish with this stuff I gave up and switched to acetone. But still, it’s just a tiny problem, and I think the pros outweigh the cons.

What About Acetone?

Acetone vs Natural Nail Polish Remover

Pros & Cons

For years I used a basic, inexpensive, nail polish remover for natural nails, but after a few attempts at removing glitter polish I decided to switch to acetone. The stuff works really well to remove nail polish. It’s fast and effective. But after about a month my nails were a peeling, tearing, mess. I was confused. It was only after trying the natural stuff that I realized the acetone was actually harming my nails, and now I only use it for glitter-polish emergencies. The one good thing about acetone is that it’s cheap. I think this huge sixteen ounce bottle cost about a dollar at Target.

Directions, Warning and Ingredients

Acetone

I don’t pretend to be an expert or a scientist, but I have read that acetone, although approved by the FDA for household use, isn’t that good for us. For more information on acetone nail polish remover check out this article by Vampy Varnish: Acetone Nail Polish Remover: Friend or Foe?

You can buy acetone almost anywhere, but it’s a little more difficult to find Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover. You can buy it online here or check out your local health food store to see if they carry it.

What kind of nail polish remover do you use?

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover vs Acetone

September 23, 2013 at 1:24 am #

Interesting article Heather. I so detest Acetone. The smell alone puts me off. I’m actually thinking of going back to gel nails and have them done every 3 weeks or so. I find normal nail polish way too tedious to apply and remove every week and the chipping drives me nuts. I already have gel on my toe nails and they really last a long time!
    Sylvia recently posted..Taking my coral pink sunglasses on a spin in 2 different outfitsMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 23, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Hi Sylvia! I love how long the gel lasts but sometimes I find it hard to get back to the salon to have it removed. I’m intrigued by the home gel polish kits. I’ve read reviews on the new ones and it looks like they really work. But I totally am with you about the chipping. It’s one of the reasons I’ve written reviews on polish that doesn’t chip. Oddly, I find the cheaper polish is often better than the more expensive stuff.

2. Annette September 23, 2013 at 2:33 am #

That is very interesting, I never knew there was another option besides acetone nail polish remover. Since I usually only use light colours, it should work for me.
    I will check if we have something similar over here in Germany, usually our bio-stores have a very wide range of products.
    Thanks for this post, Heather!

Annette | Lady of Style
    Annette recently posted..FLORAL PRINTS IN BLACK & WHITEMy Profile

• Heather Fonseca September 23, 2013 at 11:07 am #

You’re welcome Annette! I’m glad you found the post useful. Good luck finding something similar in Europe and if you do please leave a comment about it. I don’t think Almost Natural Nail Polish Remover is available outside of the US so it would be great to know if there was something comparable in the rest of the world. Usually there are better products in Europe so I’m sure you’ll be able to find something great.

3. nofearoffashion September 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

I use an oil based remover which is kind to my nails…. for the very few times I use it.
    Greetje

• Heather Fonseca September 26, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Greetje, what is the oil-based remover called? I’m intrigued.

4. Erika September 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Butter London do a nail polish remover which is nice and kind (my favourite health food store stocks it, bless them). Methyl acetate & isopropyl myristate. I’ve got nails that tear and split very easily, so everything I can do to keep them together is important!

• Heather Fonseca September 26, 2013 at 8:48 am #

I love Butter London polish, so I’m not surprised they make a great natural remover too. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

October 5, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks for the tip – this would be great especially for my girls. I’m always nervous to have them use traditional nail polish remover. The chemical smell is so strong. My girls love to do their nails so this way I won’t have to worry as much.

I will look for it!
    Stacey – Total City Girl recently posted..52 Week Photo Challenge – Week 38 – “L”My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 7, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Hi Stacey, I think this nail polish remover would be great for your girls. Definitely still keep an eye on them when they’re using it, but it’s probably much safer for their little nails (and lungs) than acetone. Be sure to read through the comments because some other people have chimed in with their favorite natural nail polish removers as well.

6. THE DIVINITUS
    October 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm #

I recently discovered presoaked pads, much easier to use than traditional bottle. I did the acetone version bc of dark colors but I will try ethyl acetate next.
    THE DIVINITUS recently posted..20131023My Profile

• Heather Fonseca October 26, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

I’ve never tried the presoaked pads but now I’m interested! I will check them out as well.